My Summer trip, or Ain't Oregon

bobaintstoppin

Thursday 7/21
I rode to Bozeman first thing and found the Starbucks in town.  Then over to the Museum of the Rockies for several hours with the dinosaurs.  This is the heart of fossil country and the University here is a big player in the digging up and restoring work.  A couple of pictures:

i-6224f2M-XL.jpg

i-5QdxHKS-X2.jpg

They have several of these same dinosaurs at different ages.  Nicely displayed and you won't see this anywhere else.  Very interesting to me is that a number of these bones were just discovered around 10-15 years ago.  This museum is highly recommended.

Now the order of the next few days is to get home.  Leaving Bozeman, I'm mostly going east.  But the interstates are not where you can see America, so there were lots of canyons, high plains, etc.  I went through the north end of Yellowstone, up the Beartooth highway and turned off on the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway:

i-tXG4gNr-XL.jpg

Here is near the end of that road at Dead Indian Pass:

i-LJMzQJq-XL.jpg

After further high desert (as high as 9000 feet) and temperatures up to 101 degrees, I have ended up in Ranchester, Wyoming. About 470 miles for the day, which is pretty good given the museum time and all 2 lane roads.

Friday 7/22
What a lousy day!  Started out from Ranchester, WY at 0545 with a temperature around 64 degrees.  In 1/4 mile I was on I-90 and I have traveled 625 miles to get to Luverne, MN (still on I-90).   The temperature got up to 102 degrees today.  I tried to stop at Sioux Falls, SD about 25 miles back but the whole town was sold out for an air show and other happenings about town.  Anyway, the interstate is no fun, but it does pack the miles on.  Mostly at the posted 80mph!

I'm now better set up to get home on Monday.  1600 miles remain and three days to do it.

Saturday 7/23 was the same weather again with a few rain showers added in.  Unfortunately, not enough to wash the bugs off of the bike :-).   I headed a bit south to avoid going through the Chicago nightmare and ended up on Route 24 in Illinois.  This turned out to be a town every 10 miles with stop lights.  So slow going.  Ended up in Remington, Indiana when my energy gave out in the heat.  

Remember the horse smelling the barn?  Well this is when it happened to me.  A review of options showed the shortest route home was 850 miles, and I couldn't stand the thought of another night in a motel.  So . . .

Sunday 7/24
Out the door at 0320 central time.  I shortly lost an hour to the time zone.  A long day in the saddle, but the temperature was a bit better and the traffic was light.  Interstate again, but it got the job done.  Home at 8pm and the house is still here!

So that's my trip report. Thanks for listening.  I hope you picked up a couple of places that you'd like to visit in your travels.

• Premium Member
Nice RR.

It's funny, but everyone who goes up to Dead Indian pass takes almost exactly the same picture. It's all over ADVrider

My picture from about a year and a half ago... :D

IMAG1768_zpsnejrvq6f.jpg

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
Thanks for sharing the report and pics! The Oregon coast keeps a fairly steady climate: 55F in the winter, 65F in the summer. When it's 90+ degrees in July here in the Willamette Valley we go to the coast to cool off. In the winter we go to warm up. I may ride out there today actually.

• 4 weeks later...
Such a great trip. I need to incorporate more museums into my trips. Jealous of all the great ones you visited. Cheers!
Thing is, I've done most of the national parks type stuff.  So museums are fun.  My brother is into the airplane thing, so that's where most of the air type places came from on this trip. 
I have 800 pictures from my Alaska trip, and many from the other trips in years past.  Looking now for where the 2017 trip will be.  Leaning towards  the Barber museum.  This would be down the blue ridge and such.  If the weather is good, I really like that area.

• Premium Member
My friends and I are still trying to get as far as we can and back to Northern California in 9 days, so a few hours off for museums might be a tough sell. Maybe after a few more trips.

If I were headed to the Barber Museum I'd probably add a trip to Huntsville to check out the US Space and Rocket Center and the US Veterans museum. Cheers

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived