Ok, who is getting an FJ-09?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here is how I got a great deal on my FZ-09. 
 Told him that I was either buying from him or the dealer in the other town based on price. Told him that I won't pay Doc fee, Freight or any of that crap.

Many dealers do not want you to walk out, especially when you mention another dealer, figuring you most likely won't be back. 
Your relationship with the dealer can also come into play.

When I bought my FJR, they had the figures written down and I pointed to the "extra fees" and also said to remove those from the deal sheet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hopefully I'll be doing the same thing with my 2011 Daytona pretty soon. I'm trying to locate a dealer in central FL that has one on the floor so I can try it on for size. I'm one of those guys that has to see it in person before I can commit  :P

Hi guys,

just joined and I am super excited for the FJ - or MT09 Tracer as it s called here in europe. Will be only my second bike (after my current Kawa ER6n) and at least on paper it looks like it will be a terrific all-arround bike.

@ducktape - when will you actually have your test ride? Looking forward to the review!

@gabe - two good negotiation techniques were already mentioned (weather conditions, using other dealers nearby). What I also usually try to do for larger investments is to pay cash and let them know. Especially in the winter, they are more happy to see actual dollar bills than signed commitments, so they may knock a few bucks off of the retail price if you can pay larger amounts in cash.
Another thing would be to not ask to reduce the actual price of the bike, but rather get some accessories at a lower rate - they might be more eager to throw in a pair of heated grips for free than taking 400 bucks off of the retail price.

Just my thoughts. Can t believe it s still 2 months. Anyway, have a great afternoon!

• 2 weeks later...
Will I get one?
From what I've read sofar it ticks all the boxes so it is very very likely. But although I have purchased a few bikes without a testride or even having seen them in the flesh, with the FJ-09 (or Tracer for us) I will wait. At least I want to try it out and I am still undecided which colour I like best. Delivery times can also be an issue because by the looks of things the dealers can not keep them on the floor.

and then there is the small matter I need to convince myself out of buying a MV Stradale instead of the Tracer 8-)

Will I get one? From what I've read sofar it ticks all the boxes so it is very very likely. But although I have purchased a few bikes without a testride or even having seen them in the flesh, with the FJ-09 (or Tracer for us) I will wait. At least I want to try it out and I am still undecided which colour I like best. Delivery times can also be an issue because by the looks of things the dealers can not keep them on the floor.

and then there is the small matter I need to convince myself out of buying a MV Stradale instead of the Tracer 8-)

I certainly understand what you are saying. My dilemma is trying to figure out what to do with my FZ-09. I guess I'll put her up for sale in the spring, and then go buy an FJ-09.

I like my FZ-09 quite a bit, but it is not set up for long rides.

Just started looking at the FJ09.
Had an FZ6R a few years ago, and loved it. Great maneuverability, bullet-proof, easy maintenance. However, could never get comfortable for rides of any distance, and the 6R wasn't well equipped to handle luggage. So, went to a V-Strom 650, that I've had for a while. Amazing for local and distance touring. Absolutely bullet-proof, simple to maintain (no extended fairings to deal with), plenty of power, could ride it for days without getting sore, and built to mod with luggage, and anything else. However, it's missing one thing... With the longer wheelbase, and 19" front tire, it loses some of the flickability of the 6R.

Enter the FJ09. I haven't sat on it yet, but seems to have similar physical dimensions to the 6R, giving it the sportiness I want, as well as the touring comfort and ergos of the V-Strom, fairing plastic applied sparingly, with a bonus of a couple hundred extra cc's, traction control, and a few other advantages... So, have to take a look and demo. If it's what I think, it'll have all the advantages of both the 6R and Strom, at a do-able price point, and good looking package...

Archived