Recommendations on riding in Utah

betoney

While not a native Utahan, I have spent a portion of every summer for the past 30 years in "Life, Elevated!" In a few short years I shall be a resident. I can give you a few tips based on that experience, most of it motorcycle based! I am assuming you will be in Utah for more than a day. With that caveat...

Do not stay in a single location for your entire stay. I would suggest at least two locations, something like Kanab & Moab, or Torrey and Mexican Hat. You get the idea, 2 locations diagonally across from each other in the southeast quadrant of the state. A couple days in each location will make for an enjoyable stay and give you a lot more options for your trip.

Plan your transfer day between those residences as a scenic day ride. Believe me, you will get what I call "postcard fatigue" as you cross Utah. A picture around every corner.

Once ensconced at your ride out point, plan away on your day trips. Many of the endpoints you will want to visit will require fantastic rides on the way in and out. The "ugliest" day if you choose it will be the bus ride into Zion NP. The motorcycling on the way to the park entrance is spectacular...as is the park...it's just that once your are at the entrance...its bus only in the summer.

• Supporting Member
While not a native Utahan, I have spent a portion of every summer for the past 30 years in "Life, Elevated!" In a few short years I shall be a resident. I can give you a few tips based on that experience, most of it motorcycle based! I am assuming you will be in Utah for more than a day. With that caveat... 
Do not stay in a single location for your entire stay. I would suggest at least two locations, something like Kanab & Moab, or Torrey and Mexican Hat. You get the idea, 2 locations diagonally across from each other in the southeast quadrant of the state. A couple days in each location will make for an enjoyable stay and give you a lot more options for your trip.

Plan your transfer day between those residences as a scenic day ride. Believe me, you will get what I call "postcard fatigue" as you cross Utah. A picture around every corner.

Once ensconced at your ride out point, plan away on your day trips. Many of the endpoints you will want to visit will require fantastic rides on the way in and out. The "ugliest" day if you choose it will be the bus ride into Zion NP. The motorcycling on the way to the park entrance is spectacular...as is the park...it's just that once your are at the entrance...its bus only in the summer.
Thank you for the info.  Taking into consideration, snow at higher elevations, deathly heat in the summer, tourist traffic, summer vacation etc. what would you say is the best time of year to plan the trip?  

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Zion NP. The motorcycling on the way to the park entrance is spectacular...as is the park...it's just that once your are at the entrance...its bus only in the summer.
When did that happen? I rode through Zion in July 2002.

The motorcycling on the way to the park entrance is spectacular...as is the park...it's just that once your are at the entrance...its bus only in the summer.
I rode into Zion June of 2015 with no issues. Must be something new?

betony,

All things considered and realizing most people do not appreciate the heat like I do, I would recommend May pre-Memorial Day or September post-Labor Day. You will be in 80's and 90's weather then, more 90's in September. I prefer late July and August. The heat thins the crowds a bit. The heat in Utah is not usually Arizona type heat. Mostly high 90's to the low 100's. Humidity is usually in the low double digits. In August the parks are full of international visitors. The Europeans come over for weeks at a time. You will hear many languages spoken then.

As for riding, my kit consist of mesh pants, jacket, gloves and riding shoes. Full face helmet with a dark smoke shield. A DryFit T and lightweight shorts. Throw my wet vest in there and I am cool all day long. The Harley types look at me odd at fuel stops. They think I am hot, but I am the one riding in the shade all day long. If you hike, the heat of the day keeps the snakes in their darker cool spots.

As for the Zion Shuttle...the park is closed to private vehicle traffic from March thru October and select weekends outside that period. Private vehicles are allowed if they have a reservation to stay at Zion Lodge in the Park. Yes, things have changed.
Shuttle Details

Use caution though.  In May, beautiful day in Zion, rode to Bryce in a cold rain.  Left Bryce heading north and the increase in altitude turned in to a bad snow storm.  Stuck, in the middle of nowhere, in a blizzard, on almost deserted road.  No cell coverage.  Lucky that Swiss tourists (who ride at home) picked us up.  We had to abandon the rented BMWs  off the road and get a lift back to a hotel 12 miles down the road.  Got  a lift back to the bikes in the morning, beautiful day again.

Moral: Even in May and June, the weather can change fast and snow is possible at altitude.  Keep a close eye on the weather and the altitude. Have layers to stay warm, food and water.   I hope to never make that mistake again.

• Supporting Member
Use caution though.  In May, beautiful day in Zion, rode to Bryce in a cold rain.  Left Bryce heading north and the increase in altitude turned in to a bad snow storm.  Stuck, in the middle of nowhere, in a blizzard, on almost deserted road.  No cell coverage.  Lucky that Swiss tourists (who ride at home) picked us up.  We had to abandon the rented BMWs  off the road and get a lift back to a hotel 12 miles down the road.  Got  a lift back to the bikes in the morning, beautiful day again. 
Moral: Even in May and June, the weather can change fast and snow is possible at altitude.  Keep a close eye on the weather and the altitude. Have layers to stay warm, food and water.   I hope to never make that mistake again.

All great points to consider, Thanks for sharing.  I will keep all of this mind when planning the trip. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Here is a short list of rides and attractions in that portion of Utah...this list is only a poor start...

Bryce Canyon NP
Zion NP
Capitol Reef NP
Arches NP
Canyonlands NP
The Hogback
White Canyon
Calf Creek Falls
Goblin Valley
Mexican Hat
Fruita
Grand Staircase Escalante
Natural Bridges NM
Hovenweep NM
Dead Horse Point SP
Hole in the Rock
Moab
The Lasal Loop
Burr Trail
Boulder
Hells Backbone
Bullfrog Rd
Hall's Crossing
Hite Overlook
Moki Dugway
House on Fire
Goosenecks SP
Valley of the Gods
Snow Canyon SP
Coral Pink Sand Dunes SP
Kodachrome Basin
Kanab
Tropic
Comb Ridge

That's off the top of my head. I will go out on a limb and say that whatever route you chose, whatever locations you chose to visit, you will have a enjoyable trip in Utah.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Utah is awesome! You are going to have a great trip!
This is the trip me and a bud did in September 2015: http://fj-09.org/thread/2380/northen-california-western-colorado-back
We are headed back to new areas of southern Utah in May.

I haven't read every post, so forgive any duplicates, but I would try to add hwy 128 between hwy 70 and Moab, hwy 95 from Hanksville all the way to Blanding, hwy 72 and FR036 were fun and really show just how varied southern Utah is. If you are planning on taking hwy 50 consider taking the hwy 21 bit from Baker down to Beaver Ut, it is much more scenic and fun than the remaining bit of hwy 50 headed into Utah.
The Cedar Breaks are a cool sight.

Cheers!

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• Premium Member
So when we went in September temps were over 100 rolling east thru Nevada to St. George, then 48 with a cold rain going along parts of hwy 550 in Colorado, almost 100F again in Moab and then sub 50F again in western utah. Coming back on hwy 50 it never reached 60F. Fried or Froze. I upgraded my gear after that trip.
Bring lots of layers and drink lots of water.

If it isn't too far out of the way, hwy 395 between John Day Oregon and Burns is super fun.

Cheers

Oh and gas up often! A lot of the little towns in Utah have no services at all.

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived