Best bags

• Premium Member
I'll just add one negative for the FJR bags - they're wider than the handlebars. I haven't lane split in California regularly for 10 years, but I HATE that the widest point of the bike is not the handlebars in front of me. This is probably a non-issue for non-CA riders who are (mostly) law abiding.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I went with SHAD SH36s.. I think they match this bike perfectly. They are wide, not sure how they compare to FJR bags in terms of width. I looked for used FJR bags because I really wanted to use the OEM mounts but I did not have as much luck as others. However, I don't think the SHAD 3P system is bad at all with the bags off.. 2nd only to the OEM mounts IMO. Very happy with my choice and I don't think you will go wrong with FJ-09 hard cases, SH36s, or FJR bags... all are good quality and fit the aesthetics of the bike well.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I really like the FJR bags, I've had mine for a year and a half of daily commuting. They have held up great, are waterproof, hold a ton (full face helmet included) and are relatively cheap. They are on the heavy side though.

Edit: I commute into San Francisco everyday and the width hasn't bothered me while splitting, they are as wide as the stock handguards. Sometimes you have to wait a sec for the gap to widen or hang back a few cars at the stoplights but it's no big deal.

• Premium Member
Question: Are the Shad 36's waterproof? I hear folks talking about the waterproof FJR bags, and that got me wondering if the Shad's were or not. Anyone know?

• Premium Member
Question: Are the Shad 36's waterproof? I hear folks talking about the waterproof FJR bags, and that got me wondering if the Shad's were or not. Anyone know?

I have the Shad 36s, plus a SH48 top case.

In my experience, all are waterproof.

Also, to echo what others have said, they look like they were made for the bike--same angular styling--and the mounting system is great.

That said, for day-to-day, I use the top case only, for reasons of width (real or perceived).

FWIW I'm in Calif, I removed the stock hand guards, and I lane split.

• Premium Member
I have the Shad 36s, plus a SH48 top case.  
In my experience, all are waterproof.

Also, to echo what others have said, they look like they were made for the bike--same angular styling--and the mounting system is great.

That said, for day-to-day, I use the top case only, for reasons of width (real or perceived).

FWIW I'm in Calif, I removed the stock hand guards, and I lane split.
Thanks much appreciated! I like the look of the Shad the most, maybe before the winter ends I'll spring for them....

• Premium Member
I've got used FJR bags painted to match my bike. They cost slightly less than a new pair of SH36 bags and look better IMHO. The mounts are as unobtrusive as they can get. 
67c3e21889976b63334bcc9d38c6458c.jpg

Gotta admit - that's a pretty sweet looking package. 

And that's com in' from a Shad man...

• Premium Member
I really like the FJR bags, I've had mine for a year and a half of daily commuting. They have held up great, are waterproof, hold a ton (full face helmet included) and are relatively cheap. They are on the heavy side though. 
Edit: I commute into San Francisco everyday and the width hasn't bothered me while splitting, they are as wide as the stock handguards. Sometimes you have to wait a sec for the gap to widen or hang back a few cars at the stoplights but it's no big deal.
I agree with all of the above.  Also I have the KTM handguards and the width of the saddlebags is still basically identical to the width of the handlebars including the handguards.  The stock handguards were a tad wider overall.  I've had more width concerns, while lane splitting, after adding the mirror extenders than with the saddlebags (though you certainly have to stay aware of all of the above when lane splitting.   

Archived