Best bags

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Whatever you do, do NOT get the Givi Outback Trekkers... I don't want any other bike looking like mine :) 
http://imgur.com/Qq1DsAv

http://imgur.com/l16y0gj
37L 
...and no, they do not fit a full faced helmet.  A lot of people think that's a dealbreaker, but I'm more concerned with waterproof (which they are), ability to hold full winter gear (or summer, depends on the weather), first aid kit and tire emergency kit.  I mostly commute here in in the Portland/Vancouver area but do a little touring/longer rides during the summer.  I ride year round.

• Premium Member
Follow suit with Clint and Brick, I cast my vote for the FJR bags.  Easiest to install, since the FJ comes with 1/2 the mounting system and it only cost $80-90 to complete the system.  The system has been used for 15 years and works, especially when using the inner bags.  You can also pick up used FJR bags in the range of $250-500, which is about 1/4 to 1/2 the cost new and less than any other system.  Need to join an FJR forum to get uptodate 4sale info. 
Picked these 07 FJR bags up for $150 but had to paint them.  First I painted them the blue color of my FJR.  The paint cost around $60, but allowed me to be creative.  Then I [/url]vinyl wrapped in carbon fiber with red wrap.  Then I got rid of the carbon wrap and painted to match the fender but left the red.  Then added pin stripping to cover the shrinkage of the wrap which exposed the blue.  Then a deer wiped them out.  Got dark grey metalic ones next.  The red ones were off a friends FJR.

JD3hlK7.jpg
Love the HD tail bag.... :D 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

I had those soft bags on my Z1000. They were a bit small to fit things like a laptop and at least on the Z, the piece that connects the bags across the top rubbed the paint off the tail if you didn't use a clear protectant tape on there which I hated having on there as it looked messy when the bags weren't on. 

• Premium Member
I am using the Kriega system as tail bags with Hepco & Becker oval C-Bow side cases. I don't like the look of hard side cases and while the H&B don't hold a full face helmet, I like that they are semi-rigid and lock to the C-Bow brackets. IMO the brackets are relatively unobtrusive without bags.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

Kriega US-30 (30 liter)

IMG_0374.jpg

US-30 + US-20 (20 liter)

IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg
The whole setup.

I like the mix & match flexibility of the Kriega system and they are rock solid. I also have a 10-liter bag which can be added to the stack, and any of three can be used on their own on the tail.

IBA Member #59800

3 Nations Brewing Mug Club #100

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great thread, very informative - I appreciate all the pics.
Unfortunately, it looks like the bags for me (most well-integrated to the bike, not too wide, most tucked in) are the OEM ones which are STUPID expensive! (~$80 for three lock cylinders? gimme a break)

For general around town riding I think you will be well served by the OEM FJ-09 bags. If you are planning on any long hauls the FJR bags can't be beat for their ability to inhale a substantial amount of cargo and maintain and integrated look. The only difference in the bags are the lids. The FJR units allow them to swallow a full face helmet...the FJ bags not so much. I have about 120K miles of experience with the factory FJR bags...they are water tight and have proved durable for me. Keep your eye on ebay, you can often pisk up a lock set here and there...any locksmith can match them for you.

For general around town riding I think you will be well served by the OEM FJ-09 bags. If you are planning on any long hauls the FJR bags can't be beat for their ability to inhale a substantial amount of cargo and maintain and integrated look. The only difference in the bags are the lids. The FJR units allow them to swallow a full face helmet...the FJ bags not so much. I have about 120K miles of experience with the factory FJR bags...they are water tight and have proved durable for me. Keep your eye on ebay, you can often pisk up a lock set here and there...any locksmith can match them for you.
A cool set-up would be able to swap out the FJ09 & FJR "lids" on the case depending on cargo capacity needed. But, for what the lids themselves cost, less costly to pick up a set of used FJR bags.

While durable and large, the Givi's and whatever the hell those metal cans are that the BMW riders put on their bikes are the most depressing bags I have ever seen from a design standpoint. They are the Yugo and/or Lada of bags. If you're going that route you might as well strap a set of Pelican cases on the side. Aerodynamic as a brick, stylish as an east German gulag circa 1954.

Archived