Knocking sound under braking

catrike16

How many people are having this issue?
If it is the floating rotors then wouldn't we all be experiencing it?
All of the time?
The thing is I didn't notice any knocking at first, it started around 400 miles, the first time it happened I got off and checked that something hadn't fallen off or cracked.
It seems to be related to both braking and compression of the forks, it is also intermittent so again if it was the rotors I would expect it, if not all the time, then certainly more often.
Anyway, that said I'm going straight to the horses mouth first thing on Monday. Calling Yamaha direct and I'll ask them. If they say it shouldn't be clunking, it'll be back in the dealer 5 mins after the phone goes down.

They are floating disks, but they shouldn't make clunk when you brake. Its most like to be the pad moving in the caliper.

Are your springs and pins seated properly...they can clunk if they're not.

Have you had a second opinion from another garage?

I'm not saying your dealer is, but I've met some pretty dire mechanics in my time...my BMW main dealer was always leaving bolts lose...or missing (three seperate occasions on my GS)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• 3 months later...
I'm inclined to believe the noise is in fact the rotors and here's why... 

I too noticed the noise but it was intermittent and couldn't always replicate it until today. Engine off, I rolled forward slightly and hit the front brake "clunk". Rolled backwards slightly and hit the front brake "clunk". If you do this in either direction twice you don't hear it as far as my limited testing went. 

Edit: Or the pads like others have suggested but I definitely think its the brakes

• 1 year later...
On my FJR I had the same clinking and even replaced my steering head bearings with tapered. It still clinked when going over pot holes or jolting the bike around. I'm pretty comfortable that it's the floating rotors causing the noise. 
2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

• 4 weeks later...
Is this knocking also when passing through holes? I have a new Tracer GT and I have knocking from front when I passong through holes.
My GT does this too. It usually does it when cold and only at low speed which makes me believe it is only whilst the components are cold

Archived