Aussie MT-09 Tracer thread....

• Premium Member
I have been riding ADV bikes for 15 years, like you LoA. A R1150Gs then a Super Tenere XT1200Z. I didn't go down the R1200GS route due to woeful reliability problems with the early models. Things have improved but BMW still get far too many warranty claims considering the price premium you pay on purchase.

Like you, I made the decision to try a lighter bike as a recent illness made the XT1200 feel too heavy, especially getting it out of the garage. This decision was made after riding a loaner MT07 when the XT was being serviced last October. The MT07 was a great bike to ride locally but it's not a bike for me to take on longer trips so I waited for the MT09 Tracer to arrive and took the first demo ride from my local dealer and was first to place an order once he had stock confirmed.

A friend has been thinking along your lines with the BMWs you mention to replace her Triumph Sprint. She took a test ride on a Tracer last weekend and has placed an order!

So, I predict you will test ride a Tracer and then place an order. It's a great bike and when you compare it to others it is often better, almost certainly lighter and most definitely cheaper, being almost 50% of the price of some other sports tourers you could compare it to.

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Hi Tracerforme,

I'm in Sydney. Should clarify the price I mentioned was for the bike ride away. I did pay an extra 800 dollars for factory heated grips and a tail tidy + labour.  The heated grips were the expensive part at 380 from memory.

I've got the bike but the grips and tail tidy had to be ordered in and the talk tidy won't be here for another 2 weeks it looks like.  

The Tracer has a different tail tidy than the MT09/FZ09, I guess to take into consideration the panniers.

When I get the tail tidy, I'll upload a pic

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
My fellow Australians; would you care to share what you are paying for full-comp insurance for your bike, please.
Some broad details of your age and no-claim status would help, too.
My quote is exorbitant, but I can half understand it because of the new status of the Tracer.
If I cannot get a better deal I'll just take a six-month cover, then hopefully when that has run its course the premiums should be closer to acceptable.
Thanks..
L of S [em]('39 model)[/em][em]Brisbane,[/em][em]Queensland,[/em][em]Australia[/em]

Hi LOS

I paid 640 via QBE. I have full no claim bonus and am 38. They have been the best for me price wise in the past and the dealership organised this one as they have a higher level of package which included no loss of NCB if I have to claim.

The ither thing is qbe pay agreed value as opposed to market value should they need to

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
75yo. 100% clear record, no claims ever. Was initially quoted by my long-term insurer Shannons (also have car with them) at $689. Last BMW was about $430 for same insured value of ~$16,000.

I protested - Shannons came back with an amended quote of $589 because I am 'a long term customer'. Still ~60% > than the BMW cover...

Still looking at alternatives..

L of S ('39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

Hi kelpie,
nah, I'm currently on holidays in Japan atm.
When I return, I need to sell my Ducati 748R before I can pick up the Tracer that is actually set aside for me.k
Hopefully, it won't take too long. Just today, I saw a Tracer here in Japan at the shop for.....8,590 Yen. Before taxes naturally, but the kind man gave me a price ride away if I was Japanese for 10,850 Yen! Talk about getting reamed! Damn Australian taxes & robbery!
Anyway, He gave me a great brochure & accessories pamphlet to take away & recover!
He even started it for me! I only know a few words in Japanese and he worked extremely hard to sell it to me! I thanked him immensely, but didn't have the guts to say I'm getting one in Aus!
Extremely lovely people here!
Will keep you posted.
How are you going with your machine?
C'mon, tell us!
Cheers,
Steve

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Aussie dealers I have asked do not appear to have any printed material such as brochures on the bike, list or catalogue covering accessories, whatever...

L of S

Aussie dealers I have asked do not appear to have any printed material such as brochures on the bike, list or catalogue covering accessories, whatever... 
L of S
My local dealer said that Yamaha "don't do brochures". 
Quoted $16k ride away, including panniers.

• Premium Member
Yamaha will try to direct customers to their website to look at pretty pictures as printed media is very expensive and goes out of date quickly. Whilst most customers will have an internet connection there will be a proportion that do not. My local dealer will happily print off a pdf of an accessory catalogue for example, which is what I would expect any dealer to do. It's a shame if your dealer wasn't able to do this for you LofS.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Yamaha will try to direct customers to their website to look at pretty pictures as printed media is very expensive and goes out of date quickly. Whilst most customers will have an internet connection there will be a proportion that do not. My local dealer will happily print off a pdf of an accessory catalogue for example, which is what I would expect any dealer to do. It's a shame if your dealer wasn't able to do this for you LofS.

One dealer offered to print some stuff off for me, but of course I can do that myself at home; but being an old-fashioned sort of bloke I do like to have crisp paper in my hands! And a decent brochure can always be used to adorn the garage wall!

L