Aussie MT-09 Tracer thread....

• Premium Member
Yamaha will try to direct customers to their website to look at pretty pictures as printed media is very expensive and goes out of date quickly. Whilst most customers will have an internet connection there will be a proportion that do not. My local dealer will happily print off a pdf of an accessory catalogue for example, which is what I would expect any dealer to do. It's a shame if your dealer wasn't able to do this for you LofS.
One dealer offered to print some stuff off for me, but of course I can do that myself at home; but being an old-fashioned sort of bloke I do like to have crisp paper in my hands! And a decent brochure can always be used to adorn the garage wall!

L
and the last part of your comment may be what Yamaha found i.e. most brochures end up on the coffee tables of tyre kickers or the walls of teenage Rossi fans and have little impact on actual sales when the majority of buying customers are already well informed before entering the showroom from the myriad of online and print media we are bombarded with. You seem to be a prime example of this type of buyer with your micro-analysis of every aspect of the bike from multimedia resources, even before you actually saw one for real!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Gents,
it was an extremely kind gesture from the salesman here in Japan. It will grace my garage wall simply because it's completely written in Kanji. Except for the MT-09 Tracer & "Sport and Multi Tool Bike" blurb!
I love it!
Dmizer may be able to translate the other features blurbs, but, I'd reckon it'll be exactly the same as English!
However, the Japanese accessories pamphlet has more stuff in it I reckon.
Cheers,
Steve

• Premium Member
One dealer offered to print some stuff off for me, but of course I can do that myself at home; but being an old-fashioned sort of bloke I do like to have crisp paper in my hands! And a decent brochure can always be used to adorn the garage wall!
and the last part of your comment may be what Yamaha found i.e. most brochures end up on the coffee tables of tyre kickers or the walls of teenage Rossi fans and have little impact on actual sales when the majority of buying customers are already well informed before entering the showroom from the myriad of online and print media we are bombarded with. You seem to be a prime example of this type of buyer with your micro-analysis of every aspect of the bike from multimedia resources, even before you actually saw one for real!
I would have liked to have a glossy brochure to stare at while I waited to be able to buy the bike, and to show to people.  But, realistically, I had already decided I was going to buy the bike by then so it would have done Yamaha no good. 
I have to say that Yamaha's online information wasn't actually helpful to my purchase decision at all -- the site is pretty much just dry specs, and they don't even have any desktop images (which is just silly).  I got almost all of my information from various reviews and (eventually) this very forum.  I think I must have read everything ever written in English about the bike between October of last year and just last week ... or if I didn't, I certainly *tried*.

The only useful bits I got directly from Yamaha was the part numbers for the various accessories I bought.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Yamaha will try to direct customers to their website to look at pretty pictures as printed media is very expensive and goes out of date quickly. Whilst most customers will have an internet connection there will be a proportion that do not. My local dealer will happily print off a pdf of an accessory catalogue for example, which is what I would expect any dealer to do. It's a shame if your dealer wasn't able to do this for you LofS.

L of s, if you really want a brochure i have 2 here, if your willing to wait for it to come by old fashioned post, im more than happy to send it down under to you ? 

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks for the offer, Pilgo - I have responded in the affirmative via PM: let me know if not received pls.
Very kind of you...
L of S

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Another brief word if I may on insurance. Had two quotes from my long-time insurer, Shannons. Second quote (after I protested the first at almost $700) was $599, about $150 > my BMWR1200 R cost for same insured value.

Got onto the Swann website this evening - quoted me $534. I have already e-mailed Shannons if they can match it - if not, Swann for me!

L of S

[em]MUCH LATER (April 11th) - through the dealer I bought the bike from, a great insurance deal from QBE.   $407 for their top-of-the-range Platinum service, which includes valuable additional features such as being covered for car-hire, overnight accommodation, etc., if the bike breaks down far from home....[/em]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Fully comprehensive insurance: Shannons just quoted me ~$440 plus stamp duty = $530.
New model, not in their database,  they had to compare it with a "similar" bike.
$407 full comp from QBE through the Yamaha dealer... L of S

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick warning about insurance.
I posted some Aussie insurance quotes over in the "Insurance" thread, and discovered some shady tactics from one company.

One company will sign people up and start charging them, confusing "quote" and "contract".  
Do not give out your credit or payment details when getting a quote. They can be very pushy and unprofessional.
You know who i mean. O_o

• 4 weeks later...
I picked mine up from SCM at Kogarah last month for $15,500, ride away, plus 10% discount on parts.

Ted from sales was very professional, and looked after me.
Steve from the after sales area sorted me out with insurance from QBE $41 per month, unlimited km (I do a lot of k's).
They have more than lived up to the deal on parts, with prices well below the 10% discount (Ask for Andy).

I have since bought the OEM rad guard, Akrapovic, and heated grips (still on back order).

Hi Fellow Aussie Tracer Riders, firstly AWESOME bike. Congratulations. Just a quick couple of questions;

1. ECU: the ECU Flash everyone is talking about from Nel at 2wheeldynoworks in the U.S, are you aware of anyone in Aust that can to the same?

2. Throttle movement: I have just noticed my throttle has movement from left to right about 1cm. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal and I just haven't noticed? ( had the bike about a month and 3,500kms)

Happy Riding. Cheers

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Hi Fellow Aussie Tracer Riders, firstly AWESOME bike. Congratulations. Just a quick couple of questions; 
1. ECU: the ECU Flash everyone is talking about from Nel at 2wheeldynoworks in the U.S, are you aware of anyone in Aust that can to the same?

2. Throttle movement: I have just noticed my throttle has movement from left to right about 1cm. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal and I just haven't noticed? ( had the bike about a month and 3,500kms)

Happy Riding. Cheers
 On mine (~2000km) the rhs throttle grip moves left to right, back and forth, about 2mm at most. Enjoy the bike...
Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1956 km – Grip Puppies; Stebel Magnum audible warning device; Skene P3 rear lights set; Knuckleguard LEDs; Seat Concepts Comfort seat.
[/em]

Happy Riding. Cheers

Hi jordo27,
Dont know about flashing the ECU part but my throttle never had much movement apart from on/off slack which thanks to the forum is about the easiest adjustment to make to give a smooth throttle. Never had any noticable sideways movement.
kelpie

Hi Kelpie/ L of S, thanks for the quick reply much appreciated. I have also notice a thin grey spacer that appears loose between the end of the grip and the cable mount on the handle bar. I rode today over 500km highway, tight twisties and rough road and not problem. I will still have it check out by the dealer.....cheers