Aussie MT-09 Tracer thread....

Thanks mate! Sounds like a good idea, Once the weather warms up and I've actually taken delivery of my bike, It should only be a week or so away now :)
Depending on what people are thinking, I've already made my tent/ camping setup for my tracer might be able to turn it in to a trip

Guest mccruise
Hi,

Today MCCruise bought a Tracer. I will get it next Friday and then we start development. Our new computer allows us to reconfigure it to talk to OEM switch gear - like that on the Honda F6B. We don't know yet whether it will work on the Tracer - or MT-09, but it should.

This is what I said on Google+ today about it:

Today I purchased a Yamaha MT-09 Tracer (FJ-09) despite its ergonomic shortcomings and in a week or so when I get hold of it, we will start work modifying it to make me able to ride it! It will be our 'project' bike.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great bike - or I wouldn't have bought it. It may be my LAST bike, so it has to be right for me!

In MY view, these are its shortcomings based on a one hour ride:

The seat is crap!. My hip bones go right through it and it offers no support at all - just pain;

The pegs are maybe 2" too far back - we will see what can be done about that, but it may be impossible to correct;

I need the bars to be 1" higher and 2" back - minimum. I am hoping I don't have to lengthen the front brake lines, but I may have to. All other cables and wiring harness look OK;

I softened the compression damping on the front and rear to minimum and it's better. A lighter weight fork oil combined with Nulon Power Steering treatment should make it better at the front. The rear wasn't bad. I will get rid of all pre-load to lower the bike and put padding in the seat to raise me again from the footpegs, making it more comfortable. That will improve riding position and footpeg position;

I am going to try to source a 19" front wheel that will fit (any and all advice welcome) and a spare rear. I will equip them with off-road tyres and see how versatile it is;

The standard bars made both my hands go numb in about 2 minutes! Frank experienced the same thing! The angle is all wrong. The bars changing dimension is a pain, but I will find a solution. My TDM900 is perfect so I know what angle I am after....but it has non-standard bars too!

I will live with the exhaust....not quite loud enough, but the others are too expensive and too loud...

Engine bars....I have to find an affordable way to protect the engine - especially if I am going off-road. All bars I have seen so far are expensive and probably don't work all that well, in any case. They are also no use in fitting highway pegs (too high) - a must for me these days. I need at least three riding positions - standard, forward and feet on rear pegs, but my TDM900 adds 'legs on engine bars' to the mix and I can go for hours without any aches or pains.

The screen didn't seem too bad, but it was a short test;

And finally a cruise control - which we will do FIRST of course, in case any of you want one. We are hoping to make one product that fits the MT-09, MT-09 Tourer and the MT-09Tracer. Time will tell....

Wish us luck! I want to travel around Oz before I get too old - whatever that means!

• Premium Member
Hi, 
Today MCCruise bought a Tracer. I will get it next Friday and then we start development. Our new computer allows us to reconfigure it to talk to OEM switch gear - like that on the Honda F6B. We don't know yet whether it will work on the Tracer - or MT-09, but it should.

Wish us luck! I want to travel around Oz before I get too old - whatever that means!

Good luck!  Very curious to see what you will come up with. 

Hi, 

Good news!

If it's any help, this is the parts diagram and part number for the Super Tenere controls, which have the cruise control fitted where the Tracer has blanks.

http://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/548f2f92f870020854ef8ac4/handle-switch-lever

Switch, Handle 7
2BS-83954-00-00

I can't wait to see the result.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Everyone
Just wanted to let everybody know about a "New" group on FB for Australian MT-09 Tracer Owners. Everybody is welcome to join and share their experiences/mods and thoughts about their Tracers. We are hoping it will become a great resource for all Tracer riders in Australia.
Cheers Paul

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AustralianMT09TracerOwners/

Hi Everyone Just wanted to let everybody know about a "New" group on FB for Australian MT-09 Tracer Owners. Everybody is welcome to join and share their experiences/mods and thoughts about their Tracers. We are hoping it will become a great resource for all Tracer riders in Australia.
Cheers Paul

Hi click,

Isn't this the place for Australian riders to hang out?

Yes, CO is adjusted the same way as the MT-09.  Use the same buttons and procedure, it just looks a little different on the Tracer instrument cluster.
That's awesome, that'll solve most of the fuelling issues for me, that always worked for my last two Yamaha's, FZ6 and Tenere. And on my mates bike we have in the workshop now, MT09. Thanks for that traceroz

Also check throttle freeplay, and the chain tension.  The chain loosens up a fair bit over the first 5000km, and the slack amplifies the snatchy nature of the throttle.  The Yamaha spec is 15mm of play in the chain (on the centre stand) which seems a bit tight, but really it's not.  Some blokes are running the chain at 25mm, which is far too loose for this bike.

Also check throttle freeplay, and the chain tension.  The chain loosens up a fair bit over the first 5000km, and the slack amplifies the snatchy nature of the throttle.  The Yamaha spec is 15mm of play in the chain (on the centre stand) which seems a bit tight, but really it's not.  Some blokes are running the chain at 25mm, which is far too loose for this bike.
Hey Traceroz, you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. Excuse my ignorance (I am an office worker!!) what's the CO? Cheers

Basically the CO setting adjusts the fuelling in approx the first 3% of throttle opening. CO (Carbon Monoxide) percentages go up with a richer mixture. A slightly richer mixture helps avoid lean misfire just off idle, and improves the transition from idle to acceleration. This function used to be performed by progression ports and jets on carburettors, and can be quite a sensitive adjustment. The CO adjustment can also help slightly reduce the popping in the exhaust on overrun.