Aussie MT-09 Tracer thread....

Guest mccruise
I hear you!  Try 6 months on Willis Island on a cyclone watch and you'll know all about humidity!  24/7. Didn't have a bike though - it's only 200metres long and 70m wide!

That's why I only go to Vietnam in early November through mid December - and only in the north.  I like 25C and not much humidity to ride in.  I refuse to ride without the protective gear - and just as well as when I was in Vietnam in 2011 I hit a patch of diesel at 30kph and down I went.  The locals couldn't believe I bounced right up again and pressed on......although I did crack a couple of ribs.  IMHO - you ride bikes - you wear the right gear!  Always. :)

3933817.jpg

3933826.jpg

Guest mccruise
Is anyone in Australia NOT running 98 octane (Premium unleaded) in their bike ?
I've only used United 95 so far.  Seems to work OK. We have been burnt with 98 before.  Put it in a BMW because it demanded premium fuel and the damn thing simply stopped working on a customer.  It was old/bad fuel and cost us $300 to clean it out!  I don't trust it.  i have used United ethanol for the last 20 years in my Nissan Pintara TRXs, Maxima, Elgrand and Micra & Honda VFR750 ('94), TDM900, current VFR750 ('93) and 1983 Honda XL250.  Never had a lick of trouble in any of them despite all the dire warnings.  Frank is the same - cars and bikes.  For some reason though, recently fuel quality in Queensland seems to have dropped off. 
Our sugar-based ethanol here in Oz is pretty damn good.  Especially compared to that glue they call ethanol in the USA - made from corn!  Heaven knows what that stuff costs you all in maintenance and repairs!  I bet it is a LOT more than the subsidies given to farmers in Ohio.  Still....that's politics for you.

Basically the CO setting adjusts the fuelling in approx the first 3% of throttle opening. CO (Carbon Monoxide) percentages go up with a richer mixture. A slightly richer mixture helps avoid lean misfire just off idle, and improves the transition from idle to acceleration. This function used to be performed by progression ports and jets on carburettors, and can be quite a sensitive adjustment. The CO adjustment can also help slightly reduce the popping in the exhaust on overrun.
Hey Traceroz, you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you. I know you have mentioned above it is done in a similar way to the MT09. Is there an easy way you can explain for me for the Tracer? 

• 2 weeks later...
I found a YouTube upload that will run you through it. The MT-09 dash is different, but the buttons are the same, and the actual process is the same as the Tracer. 

Hey TracerOz, you are a LEGEND. An absolute LEGEND. Thank you. I am currently on holidays but when I get back I am going to give it a go. Just to confirm this is for the Akro Full System? Cheers

Welcome.
I call BS on that one. Anytime you change the intake or exhaust of a bike, it can benefit from a remap. Are you realizing the full potential of the pipe and will the bike run as good as it can? Nope. Will it run ok without a remap? Sure, on the surface, but there will probably be throttle positions where it will be too lean or too rich, and most people can feel that type of fueling when it's not right.

Skip

Welcome. I call BS on that one. Anytime you change the intake or exhaust of a bike, it can benefit from a remap. Are you realizing the full potential of the pipe and will the bike run as good as it can? Nope. Will it run ok without a remap? Sure, on the surface, but there will probably be throttle positions where it will be too lean or too rich, and most people can feel that type of fueling when it's not right.

Skip
You may well call BS, but you are barking up the wrong tree. 
I already mentioned that this adjustment only affects the first 2 - 3% of throttle opening, and serves as an off-idle progression adjustment, similar to progression ports in carburettors.  This slightly reduces the snatchy nature of the throttle by reducing the lean misfire/hesitation off idle with a better flowing pipe.  It also helps reduce popping on over-run.  It makes no other difference.  This discussion is only about CO adjustment, not a performance improvement.

Akrapovic designed the full system with Yamaha to work with the STD configuration (with the baffle inserted).  Yamaha and Akrapovic clearly state that the STD bike will run well without re-map with this pipe.  It delivers on this promise, and I don't feel any fuelling issues.  After 25+ years working with modified gear, I am of the opinion that the average rider, who doesn't wish to re-map their bike will be quite satisfied with this pipe. 

In the context that you are alluding to; would it benefit from a full remap?  Sure, but in the context of this particular discussion, that's not what we are talking about.  You may as well call BS on suspension setting changes, when the bike would clearly benefit from aftermarket suspension.  The vast majority of people who buy this bike will not re-map the ECU.  Ergo, the Akrapovic Ti system is a well matched, bolt on component for these owners who want a slight improvement to the tone of the exhaust, and a mild performance increase.

May I suggest that you read previous posts and understand the context of a discussion, prior to calling BS on anything.  Riders come here for polite discussion, not to engage in frivolous nit picking with people who fail to understand the topic. 

Dude. I read through the whole discussion. No need to get all prickly. Nice use of underlines to make your point, BTW., I need to learn how to do that.

Your post reads more like "frivolous nitpicking" than mine. You've taken 5 paragraphs to say what I pretty much said, but maybe not in fine detail, about whether or not to remap. I know the pipe was designed to not need a remap. That doesn't mean that it wouldn't benefit from a remap, which is what I stated. When I have time, I'll produce graphs of air fuel ratios from the dyno before and after the akropovic pipe install and you can decide for yourself.

Jordo asked specifically if the remap was necessary because the dealer said that it wasn't. I offered a counterpoint, that is all. Next time I will say "In my opinion the dealer is sort of right about not needing a remap" instead of typing "I'lI call BS on that one", since you feel that it wasn't adding to the discussion.

Last time I checked, Internet forums were about sharing information as well as opinions. Sometimes a slang expression doesn't always translate well via a keystroke but writing a reply such as yours was a bit of an over-reaction on your part IMHO.

I'll step down from my podium now. You might want to do the same.

-S

OK, I'll also step off my podium. I may have taken your BS comment in a manner that you didn't intend.

I talk to quite a few people who have been scared into re-mapping the ECU on various bikes/cars after changing exhausts, only to be extremely unhappy with the end result. A loss of overall driveability and economy is often the result of fairly ordinary tunes done by fairly ordinary shops. Sure, there are people who are able to produce very good tunes, but there are a lot of cowboys out there. A track-day tune has no place in a commuter bike.

Yamaha responded to this with their joint effort with Akrapovic. Will a good aftermarket tune deliver more power, and an optimised map? Definitely. Is it necessary for this particular pipe? IMHO, not for 90% of people.

I think we are both on the same page with the CO adjustment.

Put [*u] before, and [*/u] after text to underline but without the * (without the * it will underline the text and not show the code).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well I hit Yamaha Australia up to see if they had any idea on when/if we were getting a Mt07 Tracer here and they apparently haven't been told so.
And a quick look on the Yamaha Australia site and the 2016 models are coming out in Race Blu! I'm stoked as I can't stand the look of the gold forks, so I will be ordering one at the end of the week with a top case and a Arrow exhaust.

Well I hit Yamaha Australia up to see if they had any idea on when/if we were getting a Mt07 Tracer here and they apparently haven't been told so. And a quick look on the Yamaha Australia site and the 2016 models are coming out in Race Blu! I'm stoked as I can't stand the look of the gold forks, so I will be ordering one at the end of the week with a top case and a Arrow exhaust.
The "Racing Blu" looks good !  
MT-07 Tracer -
The local importers won't officially know till after it's announced, maybe at the EICMA trade show. (19-22 Nov)
I had great service from them in Melbourne a few bikes ago, gave me a new model to test for a whole day, before it was in the dealers.