Aussie MT-09 Tracer thread....

Being a new member and in Australia thought I should show up here too. I have the 2015 tracer user manual and service manual as pdf's. The service manual is nearly 33 megs and I only mention that because some email servers limit emails to 20 megs, so if I can help a fellow rider out let me know.
Where about in Oz are you bee???

Service manuals are always a handy thing to have. Pending where you are could come for a ride with a USB make a bit of adventure of it.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
Offers to share copyright materials if frowned upon in the public areas of the forum, but the best way to share such a document is to use cloud storage such as Dropbox, Onedrive etc. All you need to do is send someone a link and they download it as fast as the available bandwidth allows.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Sorry to have breached any copyright stuff, I'm in the gong at the momment and on the central coast next weekend. Hope that helps, if you can see my email on my profile maybe use that to avoid any further copyright issues!

• 1 year later...
Hello all,

I realize there hasn't been much activity in this thread for a while but as an Australian owner I thought that I should post.

I got my Tracer just before Christmas from Yamaha World in Adelaide and rode to Wallaroo where we were visiting the in laws. Next day I rode it home to Broken Hill. There is no Yamaha dealer here so I am getting the 1000k service done at the Suzuki dealer, it is them or the Cf Moto dealer, but I asked when I bought it and they understood that I was 500km from them and 300km from the nearest Yamaha dealer in Mildura.

The Tracer was great on the road except for a lot of noise from the screen but some foam earplugs sorted that out. I will have to experiment a bit with it.

The supension was setup standard and I am not sure what size rider it is designed for. The front end was soggy and the back end bouncy. I am 77kg and have the front preload at maximum, the rider sag is 45mm with 40mm optima but this was without gear so I definitely can't afford to put on weight, and damping 8 clicks out but I might add a little. I have lightened the rear preload by one to setting 3 but will go one more as I am nowhere near the rider sag. It is much improved though and with a little more fine tuning will be comfortable and handle better than my skill level.

In all I am extatic with the bike. It gives me a massive grin riding it and just have to be careful rhat amazing engine doesn't get me in too much trouble.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi All. I've became the proud owner of a used 2015 MT-09 Tracer with 23K Kms on the clock.
I love it. I upgraded from a DL650 Vstrom (thought that I'd never change it). The low to mid range grunt is almost as good, the top end, I won't be able to legally explore.
I'm not keen on the clutch basket rattle in neutral.
It scared me when the oil level light came on briefly (read that this can be a common occurrence if you don't fill oil to top of full mark).
I have the suspension on the softest settings because I ride across a lot of bumpy roads.
I got 2 keys (1 recut non original) with it. Does the Aussie edition bike come without the immobilizer HISS system (had this in my 2004 Fazer 600) ?
I think I can live with the ever so slightly Jerky throttle response (read about the O2 sensor tamer fix you can get for $120)
I downloaded a manual that suggested I should have a red master key ? Is this just for EU bikes ?
Thank and all the best.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Rex_4321 said:

I got 2 keys (1 recut non original) with it. Does the Aussie edition bike come without the immobilizer HISS system (had this in my 2004 Fazer 600) ?

I downloaded a manual that suggested I should have a red master key ? Is this just for EU bikes ?
Thank and all the best.

Hi Rex,

To respond to the above specific questions: -

Isn't the HISS system a Honda thing? HISS - Honda Ignition Security System?  Anyway, the point is that your AU bike has an immobiliser system.  The bike is issued with 3 keys in total.

See the extract below from the AU owner's manual, that you have a copy of?, that has all of the info about the keys including the RED one and the immobiliser system -

image.thumb.png.0cd6336edd4b33461cf232fcfb75e36f.png

FWIW Here's what my Master looks like (and spare key).

Keys.thumb.jpg.3467f3c55aa317d6a35e700032da4a93.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks @dazzler24 for the info. Much appreciated. I suspected as much. Same as my previous 2004 Fazer 600. Yamaha's version is called YISS (very imaginative) I think. Probably all the same system shared around with all the bike makers.

I contacted the previous owner who told me that he does not have the red key (he claims he never received it) and he managed to get a replacement key done (a lot of automotive locksmiths have the necessary key scan equipment to do this apparently) so I'm not going to worry about it too much at this stage. I have 2 working keys.

Have you put any useful / interesting accessories on to your bike  ?

I would like to put on an aftermarket screen (seems like they are only available in europe, I think I can get a 2018/19 screen to fit with some slight modifications), maybe some engine case protection, I have a Givi top box rack already, aftermarket heated grips and a radiator guard.

I'm thinking of modifying this bracket to help me fit a phone holder above the lcd console so I can use my phones navigation easier.

s-l400.jpg

For Ducati Duke 390 2018-2019. This bracket to be mounted...

Cheers and all the best.

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, Rex_4321 said:

Thanks @dazzler24 for the info. Much appreciated. I suspected as much. Same as my previous 2004 Fazer 600. Yamaha's version is called YISS (very imaginative) I think. Probably all the same system shared around with all the bike makers.

I contacted the previous owner who told me that he does not have the red key (he claims he never received it) and he managed to get a replacement key done (a lot of automotive locksmiths have the necessary key scan equipment to do this apparently) so I'm not going to worry about it too much at this stage. I have 2 working keys.

Have you put any useful / interesting accessories on to your bike  ?

I would like to put on an aftermarket screen (seems like they are only available in europe, I think I can get a 2018/19 screen to fit with some slight modifications), maybe some engine case protection, I have a Givi top box rack already, aftermarket heated grips and a radiator guard.

I'm thinking of modifying this bracket to help me fit a phone holder above the lcd console so I can use my phones navigation easier.

s-l400.jpg

For Ducati Duke 390 2018-2019. This bracket to be mounted...

Cheers and all the best.

Hi Rex, Sounds like you are about to launch into what many of us here have done and start the 'farkling' process on your bike.  You've come to the right place as this forum is a vast library of information from those that have 'been there and done that'.

I, along with many here, have added and in some cases removed all sorts of bits and pieces to improve our ride one way or another.

Best advice I can offer is to use the search option to persue the information that interests you as you get into your new toy.  There you will find many paths to follow and gems to find.    For example there are many options for a phone holder bracket for your bike that are pre-made that will achieve your goal of a phone mount above the instrument panel.  I use a QUAD LOCK system attached to a RAM mount that gets my phone above the instrument cluster.... but there are other options that will do the same/similar. Again, use the force... ah...search function 🙂

Ram_Mount2.thumb.jpg.4c0eb939863053cab4d232f821434c9e.jpg1774345729_Quadlock_phone.thumb.jpg.e9bd3a977aa64ea87c1825aba4d94614.jpg

One of the main things you can do for this bike is to have the suspension upgraded if not already done.  Not a cheap thing to do but certainly makes a BIG difference in the handling of the bike.

Another is an ECU flash to help sort out that twitchy throttle/fueling issue.

More comfortable seat (if required).

I could go on but as already mentioned.... use the search or just wade through the topics and enjoy.

Cheers.

DO NOT LOSE THAT RED MASTER KEY!   Costs about $600 to replace with a genuine Yamaha item.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

@Rex_4321, Where are you located?

Suspension setup properly, I had mine done in Brisbane by Ride Dynamics.

I have a GIVI Screen from Webike in japan.   

Bracket to hold the quadlock phone adaptor from Italy.  

Top Sellerie Seat from France.  

Engine ECU Flash from Kev Hope in Brisbane.  kevtx@outlook.com

Driving lights come DRL's from China , controlled with a Skene controller from the US.  

Brake light Modulator from TST industries in the US.  

KTM handguards.

Bar Risers from Turkey.  

Crash Bars from China. 

And you should end up with something like this.

20191114-DSC02117.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks @jdavis & @dazzler24 for sharing details of your tweaks and upgrades.
@jdavis your bike is looking good.

I was contemplating adding the front beak extension, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Front-Wheel-Fender-Beak-Nose-Extension-For-Yamaha-MT-09-Tracer-FJ09-2015-2019-18/223037010502, it sure would tidy up the front end a bit.

As luck would have it, this locally available screen https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313059507031 
will fit the 2015/2016 model with very minor modification to the mounting plate (bottom 2 holes of the new screen align, top 2 have to be moved higher up to where the 'metal prongs' are, remove the rubber plugs from them and drill out with a 9mm bit).

I also got hold of a similar gps phone holder bracket locally at a great price https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283877887195 it looks like a replica of the one you showed me. It's very decent quality and quite sturdy, made out of steel. I had to use a little bit of fine wet and dry sandpaper in between the ball (not made of rubber) and the phone holder clamp to help it grip.

This is the phone holder I went for as I don't have a quad lock syste, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-X-Grip-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Phone-Holder-Mount-Clamp-USB-Fast-Charge/323934055755. it's fairly decent quality for the money and very sturdy.

I also went for these engine case guards for the time being https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CNC-Engine-Guard-Case-Slider-Cover-Protector-For-Yamaha-MT09-FZ09-Tracer-XSR900/254569950523

That lot should keep me going for a while as funds are limited at the moment and I have to replace the tyre's (going with Michelin Road Pilot 5's).

Maybe when the used prices of the 2019 900 GT model come down sufficiently I could take a look at that bike (cruise control, quick shifer, remote preload adjustment, heated hand grips built in, TFT colour readout)

All the best.

• Like 1

@Rex_4321 

As luck would have it, this locally available screen https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/313059507031 
will fit the 2015/2016 model with very minor modification to the mounting plate (bottom 2 holes of the new screen align, top 2 have to be moved higher up to where the 'metal prongs' are, remove the rubber plugs from them and drill out with a 9mm bit).

This comes from China

I also got hold of a similar gps phone holder bracket locally at a great price https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283877887195 it looks like a replica of the one you showed me. It's very decent quality and quite sturdy, made out of steel. I had to use a little bit of fine wet and dry sandpaper in between the ball (not made of rubber) and the phone holder clamp to help it grip.

This is the one that vibrates your phone, early prototype.

This is the phone holder I went for as I don't have a quad lock syste, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-X-Grip-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Phone-Holder-Mount-Clamp-USB-Fast-Charge/323934055755. it's fairly decent quality for the money and very sturdy.

The arms on this one will press the phone buttons,if the phone is centred.

Good luck with your ongoing project.

• Thumbsup 1

Hi all, 
I have a 2017 Tracer and have just removed the hand guards, as the bars are already threaded I am hoping that I can just screw some bar end weights straight on; However, if that is not possible, how can I remove the stock threaded inserts from within the bar ends??

Thanks Dobbo