Aussie MT-09 Tracer thread....

Well I hit Yamaha Australia up to see if they had any idea on when/if we were getting a Mt07 Tracer here and they apparently haven't been told so. And a quick look on the Yamaha Australia site and the 2016 models are coming out in Race Blu! I'm stoked as I can't stand the look of the gold forks, so I will be ordering one at the end of the week with a top case and a Arrow exhaust.
The "Racing Blu" looks good !  
MT-07 Tracer -
The local importers won't officially know till after it's announced, maybe at the EICMA trade show. (19-22 Nov)
I had great service from them in Melbourne a few bikes ago, gave me a new model to test for a whole day, before it was in the dealers.

I'll test ride the Mt-07ho (full power one) We also get the restricted learner version as well but I am test riding the Tracer on saturday, and will more than likely just buy that! I really liked in sitting on it in the car park, and like the high seating position coming from a Xtz660 Tenere. Yep the Race Blu looks great!

Cheque drawn up, bike is ready for pick up tomorrow! Awesome Sydney weather as per usual, pissing down rain.. will be a nice first ride home is the wet!
It was raining when I picked mine up too!  Then it rained for the first 1500km of riding.  Even rained for the first service.  It was a good opportunity to try out the "B" mode. LOL.

I got it! My first ride on a Tracer was on the way home from Wollongong in the rain and fog after I bought it!! Loved it, the bike does feel a lot less aggressive than the Mt-09 I was riding for a month, but that did have a Yoshi and a mild tune, but I think this bike will suit me perfectly. Fit up the side case supports when I got home, looked at what it would take to make a fender eliminator whilst still keeping the stock indicators between the bags, those pillion peg bolts were a pita to get out, jam packed full of green loctite.. chain was also way too tight, and wheel not quite straight. And one of the plastic screen screws had it's head chewed off.. Bar bolts weren't overly tight either.. I know i'm a picky bastard but these are very simple things to remedy at a pre delivery..
Still a good first ride home regardless, the screen wasn't noisy until i got over 100km/h, but it was in the high position and the seat in the low so i've switched them over respectively. Think that'll work for me until I can buy a shorty screen, not really a fan of tall screens at all.
Interestingly 4th gear doesn't whine in this motor like the Mt-09 I was on at all but 6th still has that noise.. I am actually quite liking the standard exhaust note too! We'll see how long I can keep it for before I change it to something with a note so I'm heard as well as seen..!
I did order some handguard Leds as I love the look of them.

• Premium Member
Great ! I don't think the pre delivery procedure is very thorough, as there are reports of loose bar end bolts from all over the world.
Mine were fine, but the mechanic who did assembly is one careful dude with a habit of checking everything.  He's the primary reason I bought the bike where I did, even though I surely paid a few hundred dollars more than I might have at one of the bigger dealerships.  Shops that have good service should be supported. 
Anyway, that's my way of saying that it may depend on who did the assembly.

After hearing reports of losing those bolts on this site I had planned to pull them out and loctite them, just to be sure, but I never got around do it until I installed the heated grips 5.5 months later.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 weeks later...
Great ! I don't think the pre delivery procedure is very thorough, as there are reports of loose bar end bolts from all over the world.
Nah my bar Mount bolts were loose... was a bit pissed off really, but I deal with dealerships regularly and you get what you pay for, unfortunately they pay peanuts and get monkeys.. Still, it's a fantastic bike and should do me for a good while. Just getting my ass used to a different riding position! The old tenere must have been very different as my ass now kills after a hour and a half.. but the bike as a whole is getting smoother and looser as it runs in, so ill probably just get used to it.

• 3 weeks later...
Have people here been following the reports on broken clutch cables?
Anyone in Australia had a broken clutch cable?
If so what was the dealer response?
It seems to me that a longer cable that runs over the top from right to left would take the sharp angle out.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi Guys, 

S'pose I should've introduced myself in here too...oops, sorry.

Bought my Tracer in November 15 from Peter Stevens in Adelaide and rode him home to Sydney. They are a truly great package.

I've been reading all the info in the "garage section" of the forum about suspension....in-particular front end as I am experiencing skipping in the front when I hit a tiny bump and mid corner it's very unsettling.

I have lowered it using the Yamaha lowering links and dropped the forks through 10mm. We did some adjustments to the preload & damping on both the front and rear but the front I'm still chasing.

Last night I put the preload & damping on front & rear back to "Factory standard" and am yet to go for a ride.

Interested to know if any of you guys are experiencing the same????

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks is advance,
Kimmie

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

Hi kimmie,
Had the tracer for a while now and done about 6300 kms on it, havent had any trouble with the steering, found it light but hasn't misbehaved. I have softened the front and rear suspension just a little as it was a bit firm for me (70kg). Most of my riding is country so don't get to lean it into the corners as often like you would in the better city roads, even down decently corrugated roads it goes surprisingly well, and a bit of speed helps keep it really smooth. Hope you find a solution.

Thanks for the feedback Kelpie. I'm just a bit lighter than you @ 60kg so we'll see how I go when the rain stops and I can get out on the OP to test it out again.

Kimmie, I've followed you in here.

Yet to buy a Tracer, but getting closer. I really should sell the Blackbird and Ninja 300 first. That leaves me an FJR1300, the Super Tenere and the TMAX scoot.

I'll be lurking around for a while.

Peter in Newcastle

Kimmie, I've followed you in here. 
Yet to buy a Tracer, but getting closer. I really should sell the Blackbird and Ninja 300 first. That leaves me an FJR1300, the Super Tenere and the TMAX scoot.

I'll be lurking around for a while.

Peter in Newcastle
You're most welcome OX. 
I really love Dudley, but am still sorting the front end. Hopefully now the rain has stopped I can get out on the weekend for a run to see how he goes in the standard suspension set-up (as per the book) with the lowering links, my seat bag & top box with a bit of weight in it (as that is how I would normally travel).

Knowing you, you are reading all the technical detail about the suspension before making your decision. There is so much but most have changes the rear shock/spring and put heavy spring rates in the front forks.

Karl installed the SW-Motech crash bars the other night and look the goods. I just need to sort some lights ready for Feb.

Cuddles had a grey one when I last spoke with him which will be set to stock out of the box.

But listen, if you want to take Dudley for a short run you are welcome too - you know how to find me  :D

Well, beautiful riding weather on the weekend and got out yesterday to test the front end.

Out through Mt Keira - Mt Marshall - Mac Pass - Jamberoo - RNP - home...a nice little 380 odd kays.

Packed up with the seat bag (which carries all my tools and equipment) and top box with 3 days riding clothes (which is how I would normally travel for a trip away) and I can report that the front was much more settled than previous adjustments. Had a couple of decent bumps and the front didn't seem to skip out or wobble around (as opposed to any other bike). I felt quite comfortable and there was no poggo stick (diving) action under normal braking conditions. Hard braking and you still get a bit of diving but even on my Blackbird, if you hit the brakes hard she dove in - so this seems to be much better than previous also.

I might look to harden up the preload on the forks by 1x ring only (approx 2mm) and see how I go on the next run out.

I am keeping a record of the adjustments I'm doing (including comments) so I have a record to go back to, if whatever the last adjustment doesn't suit me - then at least I have a base line.

Now to start working on building confidence on the Tracer taking the twisties and getting my ride fitness back!!

• 8 months later...
Being a new member and in Australia thought I should show up here too. I have the 2015 tracer user manual and service manual as pdf's. The service manual is nearly 33 megs and I only mention that because some email servers limit emails to 20 megs, so if I can help a fellow rider out let me know.