Slipper clutch from the '17 to the 15/16's ?

silverninja

• Supporting Member
Mine is a 2015. And yes, you will need a clutch holder tool. There are a few threads that have descriptions and photos of the procedure.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Ordered the "kit" from PartShark ($230 as Betoney stated), also added the 2.3 mm clutch plate (Plate, Clutch 2 Options: UR #4B1-16325-00-00) based on another forum member stating he needed this clutch plate to obtain the needed total clutch pack thickness (the "kit" includes the "Standard" 2.0 mm clutch plate 2). For less than $8 I thought it was worth the added dosh on the chance I did need the extra 0.3 mm (doesn't everybody?). Given my new in 2016 fastest red 2015 now has almost 24,000 miles on the clutch, the plates may be worn enough to need that 0.3 mm. smiley.png

If I don't need it I'll either keep it or offer it up at cost + USPS...

More than the slipper effect, I'm looking forward to a lessened clutch lever pull as well as a slicker shifting trany.

It may be another month or more until I can install the kit, adjust the valves, check the TB sync (which I can easily do, as I "plumbed" hoses so the sync can be checked without removing any body parts or tank), change the plugs (I installed iridium sparkers at 8,000 mi.), tweak the "TPS" (or whatever it's called) and maybe see if I can fine tune the still rattley TSB CCT. Given winter runs until well after Easter here and often a month later, I won't be able to comment on the efficacy of the kit until the road salt is thoroughly washed away.

• 2 weeks later...
I tested the clutch lever on a new 2017 with the slipper clutch and the lever pull is definitely less. Very noticeable difference. I may have to do this mod on my 2015 just for the reduction in lever force needed. Slipper clutch is awesome but I am not planning to bomb into corners like I am on a racetrack with this bike, so not too concerned about reducing rear tire chatter on braking.

Thanks for your reply betoney, I will do the swap ASAP as the noise coming from my clutch is very annoying. Is your Tracer a 2015 or 2016, just want to make sure that  it will be a  straightforward job on my 15 Tracer  ???

FYI - the slipper clutch makes noise as well a particularly with the lever pulled in.... one reason that Yamaha added sound suppression to the inside of the clutch cover on 17 and up models.

-Skip

• 1 month later...
Install question, if you have the bike on the side stand do you still need to drain off at least some of the engine oil?
yes in side stand its doable. no need to change oil+ you dont loose any oil... if needed you can put some more angle on the side stand. i have opened twice the transmission cover at the side stand.

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

Archived