MT-10 Tour Edition

indyfjrider

The second I plopped down on this bike I knew it wasn't for me.  I found the riding position to be terrible.  Just the opposite for the FJ09, as soon as I sat on it I knew I was gonna buy it.
I have been to a several Yamaha dealers since the FZ-10 came out. I keep looking at it but, it's a little too transformer-ish for me, nor have I sat on one. Maybe after ridding one I would feel differently but, I don't have any plans on doing that. 
Yamaha increasing our bikes (CP3) to a full liter, adding factory cruse control, a descent windshield and hand guards, would get my attention. Then there might be three FJ's in my garage. Unless someone has an 84 FJ1100 or FJ600 they want to sell? This could get ugly.

My dealer tells me the FZ-07 is Yamaha's best selling model by far, so where is the FJ-07? Not that I would buy one. A friend of mine is waiting for the adventure sport version of the FZ-07.

Kurt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My dealer tells me the FZ-07 is Yamaha's best selling model by far, so where is the FJ-07? Not that I would buy one. A friend of mine is waiting for the adventure sport version of the FZ-07. 
Kurt
It's been available in Europe for some time. It's known as the Tracer 700 over here. 

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/sport-touring/tracer-700.aspx

It has the same ~700cc twin cylinder engine as the MT-07/FZ-07.

I can't wait to ride the FZ-10 at our Yamaha days.  I was a previous Fz1 owner and said if they put the current R1 engine in a bike I'd buy it.  But I also wanted something more comfy and loved my FJ-09 on my test ride.  So I bought my FJ. 

Don't think I'd trade it in, but I'm excited to see how it rides.  As for the touring stuff, it matters to me how much leg stretch.  I'm a runner and my knees can't take sitting crunch up very long anymore.

• Supporting Member
I can't wait to ride the FZ-10 at our Yamaha days.  I was a previous Fz1 owner and said if they put the current R1 engine in a bike I'd buy it.  But I also wanted something more comfy and loved my FJ-09 on my test ride.  So I bought my FJ.  
Don't think I'd trade it in, but I'm excited to see how it rides.  As for the touring stuff, it matters to me how much leg stretch.  I'm a runner and my knees can't take sitting crunch up very long anymore.
I am a prior FZ1 owner as well and had mine set up for touring, much like what they have done with this touring edition, plus mine had fully setup R1 suspension components.  That was a hell of a bike!!  I still miss it at times. I haven't seen this new version so cant pass judgement, but I managed many multi-day trips on my FZ1 at only about 160 miles to a tank, not ideal, but that slightly detuned R1 motor and R1 suspension components make up for it and put a grin on your face when you're tearing up some perfectly paved mountain roads.
I would jump at a chance for a long test ride on this touring edition.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I sat on one, and it's just not comfortable enough for me. I like to sit upright, and I have alligator arms. Even with bar risers, the lean angle on the FZ-10 would be too much for my taste. That's one of the reasons I kept my first gen FZ1 for 12 years. After the first gen, they sacrificed ergonomics.
Cruise control isn't a selling point for me. I don't ride interstates unless there's just no other feasible way to get where I'm going, and my riding behavior is such on 2-lane roads that my speed varies constantly. I have never been riding and thought to myself that I wish I had cruise control.

I sat on one, and it's just not comfortable enough for me. I like to sit upright, and I have alligator arms. Even with bar risers, the lean angle on the FZ-10 would be too much for my taste. That's one of the reasons I kept my first gen FZ1 for 12 years. After the first gen, they sacrificed ergonomics. Cruise control isn't a selling point for me. I don't ride interstates unless there's just no other feasible way to get where I'm going, and my riding behavior is such on 2-lane roads that my speed varies constantly. I have never been riding and thought to myself that I wish I had cruise control.

Brad
Selbyville, DE

I found the shape of the tank to be intrusive. I agree with jgalloway about the bike leaning you forward as well. It just can't compare to the FJ09. I was hoping to like it so I could enjoy that wonderful engine.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• 2 weeks later...
It's a sportbike. A naked R-1. No comparison to the FJ-09. And, it isn't selling as well as expected. I know, as I also own the FZ-10 forum and things are slow...
...wonder if it has to do with the fact that it may be classified as a sport bike, and it's also a litre machine...i.e. might be a bit more expensive to insure. In Ontario, for example, the FJ insurance was costed at the same tier as the Honda CBR650F... both classified as touring. 850cc is also the magical line when the tier moves up a level, so the 649cc of the FJ worked out well.
The FJ is 847cc...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

...wonder if it has to do with the fact that it may be classified as a sport bike, and it's also a litre machine...i.e. might be a bit more expensive to insure. In Ontario, for example, the FJ insurance was costed at the same tier as the Honda CBR650F... both classified as touring. 850cc is also the magical line when the tier moves up a level, so the 649cc of the FJ worked out well.
The FJ is 847cc...

Its sellng well in Europe, but alot of fast bikes sell well there but not worth a crap here. Price is one reason. And the fact that Yamaha Detuned the USA version down 20 less hp doesn't help either.

But the guys on the fz10 forum love their bikes. And they get em flashed by @2wheeldynoworks and then go hunting for FZ-09's and Aprilla's and the such.

But, this is the FJ-09 forum. And the FJ-09 is one hell of a bike in it's own right. I'm not looking for FZ10 fans here.

For me and many others I have talked to, it's the overall look of the bike...seems to be geared towards the under 25 crowd. ... Yamaha needs to stop letting Michael Bay design bikes to make em look like Transformer movie props...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

I like the look of them, (okay, im 24) but cant get past the tank range. I had a Tuono before the Tracer and the tank race did my head in completely.

A mate of mine has the MT10 and has added the screen etc etc to basically make it what is not called the Tour Edition. He does like it.. but just how long he'll put up with that tank range when he goes on one of his 3000 mile tours, i don't know. Need to take a hose to syphon out of one of the supertanker GSA's for sure.

Needs to have FJR bags to really be a tour edition.  Soft bags, you can put soft bags on a 300, doesn't make it a tourer.  Unless you nuts, that is.  IMO. 

fz1-06-28.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Needs to have FJR bags to really be a tour edition.  Soft bags, you can put soft bags on a 300, doesn't make it a tourer.  Unless you nuts, that is.  IMO. 

fz1-06-28.jpg
I must admit this version of the FZ-1 looks pretty good. Hopefully the riding position has been improved. 
Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/4869/mt-10-tour-edition?page=3#ixzz4btw8lVm3

Brad
Selbyville, DE

Archived