• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 41 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Extended Warranty Question

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They quoted it at $500 for 4 additional years after my 1 year manufacturer's warranty... and unlimited miles.  What do you think?
See if they can match or get close to D&H's price of $389?   ($389/No sales tax) 

They quoted it at $500 for 4 additional years after my 1 year manufacturer's warranty... and unlimited miles.  What do you think?
I do all my own maintenance and repairs and rarely buy extended warranties, for cars, bikes, electronics, or appliances, but $500 for 4 years buys piece of mind.   

• Supporting Member
Here is a little more info. for ya.  Y.E.S. - FAQ 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
See if they can match or get close to D&H's price of $389?   ($389/No sales tax) 

I don't see D&H's post?

I don't see D&H's post?
I know of no posting from D&H, but D&H's  contact info can be found here:http://dandhcycle.com/index.html That video of one man's opinion was interesting, he doesn't mention where the water actually was in the engine, and did he or his dealer properly prepare the vehicle for off season storage regularly? 
Not knowing the whole story, who knows if it was an avoidable issue. Can only imagine how nasty salt water can be on engine internals if not religiously maintained.
It seems it can come down to the dealership "going to bat" for you as I've heard stories of claims that you wouldn't think would be covered and they were, and then those that weren't that should have.  One reason to have a good relationship with your dealer.

BUT....for those who just can't, for whatever reason, do any of the work themselves... the warranty like this, and the relationship with the stealer might make sense.
The goal of my DIY videos is to empower people who are motivated to work on their own bikes to have full capability to do it themselves. I plan to film all the services the FJ-09 gets as it accumulates mileage. Got a decent start at it already, but certainly there will be plenty more to come. Subscribe to Science Biker on YouTube if you want to be notified of new FJ-09 DIY videos. 

• Premium Member
I didn't get the warranty because I refuse to let the dealership's summer interns work on my bike. The shops in this area (Vancouver WA) employ the kids who "want to learn" about bikes and only put certified mechanics on the big jobs like engine rebuilds.

...Subscribe to Science Biker on YouTube if you want to be notified of new FJ-09 DIY videos....

Subscribed... thanks for the heads up on the Youtube channel and the DIYs.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I didn't get the warranty because I refuse to let the dealership's summer interns work on my bike. The shops in this area (Vancouver WA) employ the kids who "want to learn" about bikes and only put certified mechanics on the big jobs like engine rebuilds.
Hey, I take offense to that remark :D   Back in the last century, while in Jr. high school, I worked at the local Kawasaki shop.  In addition to assembling new bikes, I got to do engine rebuilds.  I don't think I ever got paid, but traded my wages for parts, and when the owner wasn't around, I knew where the key to the soda machine was kept.
My last Kawasaki, a 2002 ZX9, needed a valve adjustment. I did it myself, but when I went to the dealer to buy a few shims, I was told they didn't have any in stock. When I asked how did they do adjustments on other customer bikes without shims, I was told they've never been asked to do a valve adjustment.
It probably takes me 4 time the time to do some things compared to a professional, but I have the satisfaction of doing it myself and make sure it's done correctly.

• Premium Member
Hey, I take offense to that remark :D   Back in the last century, while in Jr. high school, I worked at the local Kawasaki shop.  In addition to assembling new bikes, I got to do engine rebuilds.  I don't think I ever got paid, but traded my wages for parts, and when the owner wasn't around, I knew where the key to the soda machine was kept.
My last Kawasaki, a 2002 ZX9, needed a valve adjustment. I did it myself, but when I went to the dealer to buy a few shims, I was told they didn't have any in stock. When I asked how did they do adjustments on other customer bikes without shims, I was told they've never been asked to do a valve adjustment.
It probably takes me 4 time the time to do some things compared to a professional, but I have the satisfaction of doing it myself and make sure it's done correctly.

So I'll qualify my statement here, because I do see the value of people learning "how to" and learning the right way.  I am no mechanic, but I do have what I consider the basics.  I helped my dad in his garage between the ages of 10 and 14 and he WAS a mechanic.  I know how a combustion engine works, what the carbs do, how to change brakes (even drums), so yes, I got the basics.  Some people don't get that kind of experience and in your case it was probably a very valuable learning experience.

With that said... I don't want an inexperienced mechanic to work on the machine that is hauling me at high rates of speed, where a single bolt over torqued could mean some serious road rash if not death.  I do the work myself, I double check myself, I check the manuals for specs and in the cases where I don't understand something, I research it (i.e. read + YouTube).  I'm also aware that the dealer is not going to have their highest paid, most knowledgeable mechanic, do the grunt work.  I completely understand that.

Also, my experience with the two *cough* professional shops in the area is less than stellar.  At one, I brought my Katana in for a new head gasket.  I also wanted them to check the valves while they were in there.  I get the bike back after TWO MONTHS and they used some sort of temporary gasket sealer that was oozing out the sides.  I tell them to pick up the bike and put a proper gasket on it, they return it a month after that, deliver to my house but when I fire it up, oil literally shoots out the side.  Soooooo, they don't touch my bikes, ever.

Another place I gave three chances.  First time they work on the bike (tires), they forget the cotter pin for the rear wheel.  Second time, they lose 3 of my fairing screws which were annodized red.  I mean c'mon, how hard is it to put the bike screws in a magnetic tray or heck, use a $0.30 freakin' tupper ware bowl.  Third and final time, they charge me $900 for a oil cooler (plus labor) and when I checked the price direct from Suzuki it was like $766 WITH shipping.

So yeah, at this point, I do all my own work.  With a bad back it may take me longer than a qualified shop, but it gets done, and it gets done right.

Archived