Yoshimura Y- Series Exhaust for the FJ-09

2whltuner

• Premium Member
its louder.

How much louder say compared to the Akra, which I've read is not much louder than OEM with the baffle in?

Ive been looking at the 350 mm Black Widow aluminum can system with their baffle in and no Cat but cannot get a true feel of how loud any system is from a video and few Mfgrs list dB levels. Does Yosh for this unit?

I think oem is at 86 dB, maybe 88.

• 2 weeks later...
Just threw this exhaust on my FJ-09. Louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. Deeper, punchier tone. Easy install. Very happy with it! Sending my ECU out to @2wheeldynoworks for a reflash shortly. Derek says they've got a tune for this new exhaust already.

Just threw this exhaust on my FJ-09. Louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. Deeper, punchier tone. Easy install. Very happy with it! Sending my ECU out to 2wheeldynoworks for a reflash shortly.
Notice much of a difference power wise compared to stock? Probably going to get this eventually just wondering how much of a necessity it is to do the flash right away. I had read somewhere that running an aftermarket exhaust on a bike without a flash tune can be kind of funky.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Just threw this exhaust on my FJ-09. Louder than stock, but not obnoxiously loud. Deeper, punchier tone. Easy install. Very happy with it! Sending my ECU out to 2wheeldynoworks for a reflash shortly.
Notice much of a difference power wise compared to stock? Probably going to get this eventually just wondering how much of a necessity it is to do the flash right away. I had read somewhere that running an aftermarket exhaust on a bike without a flash tune can be kind of funky.
I believe the Yoshimura and Akrapovic (and maybe others) are marketed as being compatible with stock ECU and will run fine with the stock ECU settings. I have the Akra and I noticed a difference right away before getting my ECU flashed and I would assume the Yoshi would be similar. I will say that the difference between the un-flashed and flashed ECU with the Akra installed is more significant than the difference between the stock exhaust and the Akra without the flash. Does that make sense?

I think getting the ECU flashed has been the best return on money I've spent on this bike.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I believe the Yoshimura and Akrapovic (and maybe others) are marketed as being compatible with stock ECU and will run fine with the stock ECU settings. I have the Akra and I noticed a difference right away before getting my ECU flashed and I would assume the Yoshi would be similar. I will say that the difference between the un-flashed and flashed ECU with the Akra installed is more significant than the difference between the stock exhaust and the Akra without the flash. Does that make sense? 
I think getting the ECU flashed has been the best return on money I've spent on this bike.
Makes total sense. I was curious if upgrading the exhaust without the flash killed the low end or anything like that but it sounds like that isn't really the case.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights

Makes total sense. I was curious if upgrading the exhaust without the flash killed the low end or anything like that but it sounds like that isn't really the case.

I didn't notice any of the low end go away, but I did have a flat spot in the torque curve around 5k RPM. You can see it if you search for Akra TI dyno charts. Although I could feel it, I don't think it was making less power than stock, it was just a flat spot in relation to how the bike was pulling. The flash all eliminated it.

Again this is with the Akra, not the Yoshi..

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I think what's been said here is correct - the Akra and Yoshi exhausts are approved by and sold by Yamaha, so they don't technically need a reflash. But I already had my stock exhaust reflashed by @2wheeldynoworks and it was WELL worth the investment. It also included lifetime reflashes, so I'm just taking advantage of that. I haven't ridden it with the Yoshi exhaust yet. Installed the exhaust and pulled the ECU on the same day. I should have the ECU back mid-next week. I'll let you know my seat-of-the-pants review...

Does the Yoshimura exhaust have a db killer/baffle you can remove? My only concern with this exhaust is that it might be a little bit quiet...

Does the Yoshimura exhaust have a db killer/baffle you can remove? My only concern with this exhaust is that it might be a little bit quiet...
It comes with a baffle installed. I'm not sure if it can be removed. There's a plastic plug covering what I'd assume is a screw hole on the end of the can, but I haven't popped it off to see if removing the baffle is feasible. It's loud enough for me with it in. Maybe @jdm197 has more info. Also - got my flashed ECU back from @2wheeldynoworks yesterday. I'll pop it back in the bike this weekend. They [em]did not[/em] yet have a custom flash for this exhaust, but they do have one for the R-77 with baffle in. It's so close in design that they're confident it'll run great. I'll reply with updates once I get her back on the road and give her a good shellacking.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_0006.jpg

I installed Yosh exhaust last night and I really like the sound. It's definitely louder than the factory unit but in a good way.
Didn't notice any huge performance gains but it runs perfectly. Fit and finish is excellent.

Man that's a good looking exhaust. Think I'm finally gonna pull the trigger.