• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

PL14612 oil filters, BEWARE

A word of caution, did my 600 mile service 4 days ago and last night I noticed a 8" dia. puddle of oil under the bike. Long story short the PL14612 threads that screw on the bike are only about an 1/8 of an inch below the gasket surface. Don't know about y'alls, but there is a nut on the back of the threads on my bike that sticks out past the smooth surface that the gasket mates up with. In other words, on my bike, when I thought I was tightening the gasket against the surface, the threads were actually bottoming out to the point I couldn't get a good seal. I purchased another PL14612 today and it measured the same thing so I'm gonna find another filter.

• Premium Member
A word of caution, did my 600 mile service 4 days ago and last night I noticed a 8" dia. puddle of oil under the bike. Long story short the PL14612 threads that screw on the bike are only about an 1/8 of an inch below the gasket surface. Don't know about y'alls, but there is a nut on the back of the threads on my bike that sticks out past the smooth surface that the gasket mates up with. In other words, on my bike, when I thought I was tightening the gasket against the surface, the threads were actually bottoming out to the point I couldn't get a good seal. I purchased another PL14612 today and it measured the same thing so I'm gonna find another filter.

I've used the PL14612 for the first two oil changes on my FJ-09. No issues. I've also used this filter for over 100,000 miles on my other Yamaha. The PL14610 comes too close to the headers for my comfort.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I agree that it's an excellent filter and I also will continue to use on my other bikes. My problem is this filter will not tighten up enough (on my FJ 09) to stop the oil from a slow drip. I'm talking about thousandths of an inch, I believe that a 1/4, maybe even an 1/8 of a turn more and I would have been OK. Like I said, Just a word of caution, not recommending that anybody not use this filter. I am recommending that next time you change your oil just lay down and look across the flat part that the filter seals against and see if that nut (on the threaded part that the filter screws onto) sticks out past the sealing surface.

• 6 months later...
  • Premium Member
Roger that on the Purolator PL14610... I misspoke on an earlier thread.

I have been using the Purolator PL14610 for both my car a Honda 09 CRV
and several Honda ST1300s and my recently sold Versys.  They work well
are priced reasonably and easy to find.

I will be using them on my new RED FJ-09 that I will be getting this Fri. 8/28
from Yamaha PowerSports in Sublimity, OR. Got a 'killer' deal. Details soon...

8-) Dave

Roger that on the Purolator PL14610... I misspoke on an earlier thread. 
I have been using the Purolator PL14610 for both my car a Honda 09 CRV
and several Honda ST1300s and my recently sold Versys.  They work well
are priced reasonably and easy to find.

I will be using them on my new RED FJ-09 that I will be getting this Fri. 8/28
from Yamaha PowerSports in Sublimity, OR. Got a 'killer' deal. Details soon...

8-) Dave

congrats I got mine at the same place. They are the best place to buy a motorcycle.

Ive had the same exact experience. Ive been using the Purolator until my 2014 FJR. I also tried it on my FJ and neither seal correctly and both leak with the Purolator.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Ditto on the FJR board (I'm an FJR owner looking at the FJ09). I've used the Purolator filters for years, but there's been a design change to the bottom of the filter and they no longer seal.

Some on the FJR board are trying solutions like having the nut on the threads (mentioned by the OP) machined down. I'll just start looking for a different filter.

EDIT:
Stole this pic from the fjrforum. It shows the problem with a Bosch 3323 filter, but the same problem occurs on the Purolator Pure Oil filters. The filter on the left is the old design. The bottom is concave, accomodating that nut on the threads that both the FJR and FJ-09 have. The newer design is on the right and the bottom is convex. With that "outie" design, the bottom bumps up against the nut and prevents a good seal.

Bosch%20oil%20filters.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived