My horrible experience with American Family Insurance.

Beware these guys. And please share this!
We have been paying them extra for their gold level plan on our home insurance since 2008. Never filed a claim, their agent was always nice when we spoke to him but just kept paying them each month on time.

In January, we had some huge storms and we had an ice dam form on the back of our house, too high up for me to reach and we had water in our walls, water in our carpets upstairs and down and ice broke loose and ripped our siding. This was in January.

American Family denied our claim. Even though the restoration company that they sent to our home noted the damage and said that this should be a quick and painless claim, they denied us.

Even though the adjuster that they sent to our home said that they would cover it, no worries, we'll even clean your carpet, the corporate office denied our claim.

We appealed, and they denied our claim again. Basically calling us liars, and I guess they think their own adjuster and their own restoration agent is a liar too.

Fact is, they made a ton of money off us since 2008 and never had to cover one thing with us. They took our money and left us high and dry when we needed them.

Now, I have to pay thousands to cover my damages from the ice damage.

Beware American Family insurance. They are freindly, they have nice freindly commercials, but they left us high and dry and it's the absolute worst company experience I have ever had.

And they don care. But they dont realize that I own websites with thousands of daily visitors.

So please do me a favor and share this on social media! Click actions> share thread and then pick your social media account. Please, people need to be warned.

Insurance is nothing but a Ponzi Scheme. It always was. However the founding principal of this den of thievery is to deny claims. Hope the person dies before the court action is found against you and who knows you may get a judge who was paid for by the insurance industry. In any event you have to pay the lawyers retainer if they work or if they do not. I don't see anybody judging against the insurance industry for the foreseeable future but I wish you luck.

Im talking to my State's Insurance fraud dept, and posting about this all over the internet. They will get away with this, but I will warn as many people as possible.

Our neighbors had the exact same damage, and their claim went right thru. Different insurance company.

Hey Cruizin,

That really sucks to read how AmFam treated you. My parents had a problem many years ago with AmFam for replacing the roof on their home and after that mess they switched insurance companies and never looked back.

Im talking to my State's Insurance fraud dept, and posting about this all over the internet. They will get away with this, but I will warn as many people as possible.  
Our neighbors had the exact same damage, and their claim went right thru. Different insurance company.
I was going to suggest that same approach. Every State has a Insurance Commission/Commissioner. Their job is to protect consumers and enforce the law. I'd start there.
Keep Asheville weird!

I've worked in the business for decades. I only do marine work, but years ago I did some work after a big winter storm that caused ice dams. They are pretty straight forward. I could probably give you some real world advice on this- but won't do it on a public forum. PM me or feel free to call 78one seven7one 4841 after 5:00EST. One thing I can promise you- calling conspiracy and contacting the "Insurance Fraud Bureau" will get you nowhere.  Keep your head- there's a way to get through it.

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?" -Isaac Hayes

My father told me never to use American Family. When he and my mother were young they owned a trailer on a acreage, but not in a trailer park. They tried to cancel my dad's policy citing that the fire department was too far away. But that was obviously not the case, because the fire station was only 1 mile away. Nonetheless they still tried to cancel my dad's policy. My dad got the better business bureau involved which made sure that they at least had to continue coverage until the policy expired in a few months. That gave my dad time to shop around for a new insurance policy on his own time. What it came down to is AmFam had decided they didn't want to cover trailers which were not in a trailer park.

And people wonder why some show up at offices with weapons... He was a quiet man...;-)
Slater > Wayne.

Im not at the point of going to prison over this, but I'm really pissed that I have damage to my home and the insurance company that I have been paying since 2008 is leaving me out in the cold to pay for it all myself. Screw american family insurance. I hat ethem worse than Comcast and that says alot.

Cruzin.  How about looking in to small claims court?  Is the amount of the damage something you could handle that way?  When the insurance company doesn't show up for the hearing you might win by default?   Caution:  This advice comes to you from someone who knows nothing about the subject.

But I agree with you that there should be something you can do to bring the insurance company in to line.

In your denial letter, they should have referenced the exact policy exclusion that they denied the claim on.

If they did not, the DOI in your state, should be on their butt for failing to follow their own policy.

Second, request a copy of the policy from the company. (Not the DEC page, but the POLICY.)

Then read the exclusions. Read the coverage. Most of it's "boilerplate" in that nearly all the companies use either the exact same language, or very similar language. (They have to, the DOI should only allow insurance companies to sell insurance in your state that meet the state standards, and compete against other companies policies too.)

If you think they violated the policy contract with you point that out by using the exact language from THE POLICY.
And inform them that if they don't want to follow the policy contract that you agreed to, they can absolutely debate the policy details in court when you sue them for first party bad faith. ;)

That my friend, is in my experience the BUZZ word that will light up the lawyers at any company. First party bad faith claims are expensive. Much more expensive than your house repairs. Just preparing for defense of your case will cost them more than paying the claim.

And if they make you an offer to pay, demand that for your time and trouble, they waive your deductible. :)

Good luck.
And change companies ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
Shiite! I have AmFam. But they did just replace my hail damaged shingled roof. Lucky for me I had replacement insurance. Otherwise I would have only received $700. BTW when I first bought my policy in 2007 I could only buy replacement value coverage, only policy they offered. Now they offer replacement value or not. I hope they make the consumer aware of the difference.

Archived