Oil Warning Light

Only if he's going to use Yamaha approved oil breather line cleaner...... It's right next to the blinker fluid and muffler bearings on the shelf at my local dealership... :)

It's an oil level sensor, like your fuel tank, with a float and it reads how much fuel, or in this case, oil is in the sump.

If it was an oil pressure warning light, that would be totally different.

Keep it near the full side of the marks, and it should never come on.

As for the breather hose from the crank case to the air box? It's just a hose with no "valve" in there that I have seen. Nothing to clean, it just allows the air box to draw off any vapors from the crank case, and burn them in your engine. (Fuel vapor, oil vapor and mostly water vapor.)

I had the same oil light after oil change at 11700km. The dealer said that he wants to clean oil valve or watever it is called. It may has some dirt. Shall i trust him?
Nothing needs cleaned. Just need to add a tiny bit more oil to bring the oil level up to the max mark. As was already said, its an oil level sensor not an oil pressure sensor. It can come on even when the oil level is okay before the oil level reaches full operating temp.

Yup, based on that pic it needs just a bit more oil. Not a lot, maybe 200 or 300 mL.

I'm a firm believer that if you want something done right, you should do it yourself. Adding a bit of oil is very simple, just go slow and give the oil level time to register in the sight glass. If you want to be by the book, use Yamalube 10W-40.

If you need additional help, see my how-to video on YouTube.

• Supporting Member
is that on the side stand or the center stand?  Should measure it when its on the side stand. 

You never measure the oil when it is on the side stand, all of the oil is on the left side of the engine. When you set your oil to the proper level on the center stand and then put it on the side stand the oil completely disappears from the sight glass.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

is that on the side stand or the center stand?  Should measure it when its on the side stand. 

If you measured your oil level with the bike on the side stand it would be severely over-filled with oil. 
Oil level should be measured with the bike on the CENTER STAND.

• 1 year later...
Not to resurrect an older thread but I experienced this oil light issue this weekend as well. I thought it was odd because I had just had the bike serviced and hadn't ridden it since the service but was literally accelerating onto the highway to leave on a 700 mile journey when it started happening. Luckily I was only a few miles from the dealership and pulled in to have them check it out. They went through the work order to make sure everything was done with the correct parts and it was. Off I went on the trip and it only happened once more in a similar situation, on an early morning start in the 40's (F) temp wise. So I think we can safely say that it must be due to the oil not properly warming up before use.

• 2 years later...

I have now seen this as well. First ride of the season a few weeks ago on a 2019 Niken. Literally 2 miles into the ride and accelerating up to highway speed the first time and the oil warning light comes on. The last thing I did before winter storage was change the oil so I'm thinking I left the filter or drain plug loose. I pull over, no oil on my boot, no oil on the bike, and no trail of oil down the road behind me. Engine sounds fine and by the time I do a quick U turn the light is out. Still rode back to the garage to check the level and it's just below the max mark. I did not add any oil and have done over a 1,000 miles since and not seen it again. I'm chocking it up to cold oil on a cold day. Finding this thread did make me feel better about it. Good information to know.

• Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...

I had the same experience last night. Service completed at the dealership yesterday. Went for a 3 hour ride on my way home, all good.

Had supper and decided to go to my sons hockey game on bike.

The light came on about 2 minutes from home. I turned around and went home. By now everything should have been warm and ready to go. Put the bike on the center stand in my garage and the oil level is good.

Back out for the ride to the rink and everything seems fine now.

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...

Had the same issue for the first time today. Bike is a 2020 Tracer Gt with 2200 miles on it. I hadn’t used it for about a month and went for a ride today in 5c degrees and 1/4 mile into the ride the oil warning light came on. I had seen this thread previously so I just ignored it and carried on and the light went off after another 1/4 mile after I had sat at the lights, giving the oil a chance to warm.

checked the oil level tonight and of course it is perfect and just a glitch in the oil level sensor when the oil is cold as previously reported on here.

This bike seems very sensitive to the oil level.  If it is around the middle between the minimum and maximum marks it is not unusual for the oil light to come on under hard acceleration.  

The owners manual calls for 2.8 quarts of oil when the filter is changed.  When I change the oil and put in this amount it is never up to the maximum mark, so I just pour in three quarts and call it good.  No problems in 20,000 miles.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.