New recalls on Yamaha triples

Understood, and it is a major annoyance, but I believe all manufacturers have issues like this and it's less likely to occur in Yamaha's than most brands.

I'm also surprised by the amount of people that don't like their dealers and how uncooperative their service departments seem to be. Makes me appreciate my local dealer that much more because I wouldn't buy a bike from a place I didn't like or didn't have a reputable service department.

Ivabigin, I wouldn't call my comments a rave exactly, also if you read what I wrote, I was referring to the quality of customer service not the bikes.
Regardless of the CYA I still say insurers will deny a claim if any opportunity arises to do so.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got the recall notice in the mail and called my local dealer, gave him the VIN and was told they'd order the parts and call me. Both the letter and the service guy said to not ride the bike. I checked the torque on the bolts and everything else on the steering and it looks good.  
I wan't too happy with their service on my previous bike, so I'm not sure I'll let them have it when/if they call me. But I'm riding it until then.

My recall letter does not say anywhere that the bike is unsafe to ride, merely that there is a possibility that the lower handelbar holders may come lose, so come and get it replaced at my convenience.

My dealer explained that they need the letter and mileage to order the parts and that the potential issue is the lower part of the joint should be unpainted. They'll call me when the part is in, loan me a bike for free if I want and it should be done the same day.

I don't think they could have handled it any better.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

I called my dealer today, service department didn't really seem to know what was going on.  Didn't ask for VIN or mileage or anything, just said they'd "order the parts" and bring it in next Wednesday.

OTOH, I bought it there and signed up for their service program, so they have the VIN on file and perhaps they don't need anything else.

Can't say it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling tho.

I called my dealer today, service department didn't really seem to know what was going on.  Didn't ask for VIN or mileage or anything, just said they'd "order the parts" and bring it in next Wednesday. 
OTOH, I bought it there and signed up for their service program, so they have the VIN on file and perhaps they don't need anything else.

Can't say it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling tho.
If I heard my dealer correctly, they need the VIN # to get reimbursed for the parts they order. If they have your VIN on file, you should be good. 

• Premium Member
Got mine today... good thing they included detailed instructions. :P 
Capture.png

Those who are taking this to the dealer... it'd be good to see just how different the replacement holders are. If you're close with the service guy... ask for a photo.

Photo shit, I'm going to ask to see the parts that have been replace.  Anytime a dealer or mechanic says "Yeah, that had to be replaced", I ask to see the broken/malfunctioning part.  

I own a 2016 FJ-09 and have not received a recall notice. I was at the dealer today to book the break-in (1k km) service and thought I would ask about the recall. The service manager said for sure my bike would be on the recall list and it was (Yamaha Canada is really slow I guess with their mailings). I told him to order a kit for me and then I would book the 1K service so the work could be done concurrently. He said no need, they have 4 kits in stock and he put one aside for me. I asked how he could have 4 kits without VINs for affected bikes and he said as long as they order only a few kits (4 or less) Yamaha Canada doesn't give them any push back about requiring VINs. So I lucked out in that they had kits in stock, but lost out in not actually getting a recall notice from Yamaha Canada. Fortunately, I had heard about the recall on this site and a couple others so it saved me a second trip.

FYI: Yamaha allows the dealer only 14 mins of labor to complete the recall.

""The infamous nut. It is self locking, thus the service manual not calling for Loctite on the stud... the recall notice does.""

I've read elsewhere that it isn't a good practice to use a threadlocker, such as Loctite on plastic such as the locknuts. This may just create another recall if they actually are to apply thread locker and use a locknut with it.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/warning-loctite-eats-plastic

""The infamous nut. It is self locking, thus the service manual not calling for Loctite on the stud... the recall notice does."" 
I've read elsewhere that it isn't a good practice to use a threadlocker, such as Loctite on plastic such as the locknuts. This may just create another recall if they actually are to apply thread locker and use a locknut with it.

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/warning-loctite-eats-plastic

...it's not a Nyloc type nut. It's a all-metal self locking nut. These two 'runners' on the trailing end of the nut (photo) are meant to drag against the threads on the stud. It could be that the following this recall there will be an amendment to the service manual... we'll see.
Thanks for clarifying piotrek, I can't view the pics on my work pc so I didn't realize it was an all-metal nut.  

• Supporting Member
Thanks for the detailed photos piotrek!
NP. If you're taking yours in, I'd still like to see the photos of old vs. new... if possible. Wanna see just how wrong I was about all this. :D
I wouldn't worry about being wrong about any of this, what you showed/described looks more than adequate.  I think Yamaha is going WAY overboard erring on caution on this issue.  I have owned many motorcycles in my 40+ years of riding street and dirt and have never heard of these things loosening up if the bottom nuts are torqued correctly.  I recently rotated my risers to the forward position and ensured the nuts were torqued to spec.  Good to go.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
What they are actually talking about is where the stud is threaded up into the riser block not at the lock nut, that is where the thread locking compound needs to be added. Usually on an application like this they would use a tight tolerance thread like they do on engine head bolts but in this case they didn't and apparently their coming loose. And there is no way anyone is going to convince me that this has anything to do with a bit of paint that is clamped between these parts at high pressure flaking off so I have no idea what that's all about. Normally if assembled correctly those studs would be hard to get out but these should come out easily with some vice grips or double nut and a vise piotrek. 
Also I snatched the photo from the mt forum and think that happened in France but I did hear of another that happened in the states as well.

5229637.jpg

BLB

Archived