Intent to Recall - lower handlebar holder issue

cabbs5

I had to make an appointment two weeks out, then when my day came, they hadn't ordered the parts yet. Luckily the manager got them next day shipped, and it was done (along with a new rear tire while she was in there). Not the best look, but I didn't miss any time riding due to poor weather. *shrug*
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I recently bought an FJ-09 and I had to wait a week to pick it up after purchase because they legally couldn't let the bike leave the showroom until they applied the maint. fix for this. The dealer basically told me that its not so much that its faulty, just that people do a lot of dank whoolies on the fz/fj-09 series bikes and the paint/forks couldn't take the strain of people doing so many dank whoolies so they had to apply special hooligan recall paint onto it.

Just out of curiosity, how long are you waiting for parts for this fix and have any of you been told by the dealer that the bike must show up without bar-risers or you will be charged 1/2 of labour.
If the dealer wants to charge you anything for recall work, then 1) you need to go to a different dealer, and 2) you need to report that dealer to Yamaha

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
^^^^^ and the recall letter says there is no cost to owner of bike to get recall done...
What norcal616 said - the Yamaha letter even has it in bold print

I find it quite amusing how the recall letter has been drafted in different countries. In the US riders are instructed not to ride the bike under any circumstances.  The UK letter here: https://fj-09.org/post/58953, is at least two pages long and talks of countermeasures, FFS are Yamaha going to perform a military operation on the bars?!  Thankfully in non litigious, non health and insanity Sweden the letter is a very short one page affair:

Yamaha_recall.jpg

It basically says "Yamaha have discovered that the handlebar holders can possibly come loose. Yamaha have recalled all affected machines. Contact your dealer to get the fix performed as soon as possible without any cost to you. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Had mine done last week in conjunction with the annual service.  One word of warning, when I picked up the bike the new holders were scratched and scuffed in several places.  This was not as a result of fitting but seems to have been caused by the holders not being packed properly during transit.  The dealer swapped them out while I waited for an unmarked pair.

All good now.

CS

• Premium Member
I find it quite amusing how the recall letter has been drafted in different countries. In the US riders are instructed not to ride the bike under any circumstances.  The UK letter here: https://fj-09.org/post/58953, is at least two pages long and talks of countermeasures, FFS are Yamaha going to perform a military operation on the bars?!  Thankfully in non litigious, non health and insanity Sweden the letter is a very short one page affair: 

It basically says "Yamaha have discovered that the handlebar holders can possibly come loose. Yamaha have recalled all affected machines. Contact your dealer to get the fix performed as soon as possible without any cost to you. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Had mine done last week in conjunction with the annual service.  One word of warning, when I picked up the bike the new holders were scratched and scuffed in several places.  This was not as a result of fitting but seems to have been caused by the holders not being packed properly during transit.  The dealer swapped them out while I waited for an unmarked pair.

All good now.

CS
   I'm seeing where some people are finding the nuts loose on their risers after getting their recalls done, I think if Yamaha spent less on lawyers and more on the people who actually build and maintain their bikes they wouldn't be having so many of these problems.
BLB

• 4 months later...
Just kicking this thread up to let you know it's very important to havce that recall done. I never got the recall letter from Yamaha Canada and was waiting for it to get an appointment. Last weekend, the right handlebar clamp came off completely and the left one was pretty loose. Thankfully, I was stopped and crossing the US border at the moment and the customs agent noticed it fell. He was kind enough to bring it back to me because I hadn't even noticed. The guy possibly saved my life ! Anyways, don't wait until you get the letter, just call your dealership directly and make an appointment if your bike is affected. If it's not, just make sure the bolts are properly tightened anyways wink.png

• 4 weeks later...
I recently purchased a "brand new" 2015 model and as I drove home, I noticed a vibration in the bars. Sure enough, the left side handlebar riser was so loose I could turn it around with my hand. It is difficult to get to the nuts, but a little loctite and proper tightening will solve the problem. (if you are going to move the bars forward, you will be loosening these nuts any way) I wouldn't worry about the recall; just get up under there and tighten the two nuts, then go about your business of having fun on the bike.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived