Accelerator Position Sensor (APS) Adjustment

Adjusted my aps today and it mad a big improvement! Still have a slight jerk when on and off the throttle but it's more than likely my chain. I'm close to time for the first adjustment. If I still have the slight jerk after doing it i may go down another number or two.

Original settings
Diag 14
Closed 17 open 101
Diag 15
Closed 16 open 101

New settings
Diag 14
Closed 14 open 97
Diag 15
Closed 13 open 97

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
You will need to make something similar or rig up something else that will fit in that tight space.
A Micro Driver is perfect for reaching in there.   

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
When I checked and just out of anal retentiveness slightly tweaked the TB sync, changed the plugs to Iridium NGK of the same reach and heat range, I considered playing with the APS before I said "naw", installed the air box and slid in the ECU flashed by Vcyclenut.

I'm glad I left the APS alone because even with the Standard mode "smooth throttle" and A Mode "quick throttle" setting I feel they are both too smooth and slow reving. Dave said he has them set about as quick as they can be up to 30% throttle but said when I get around to sending the ECU back, he'll see what he can do to liven things up. I guess I'm jaded by my VTR, which I'm quickening the pick up with a lighter flywheel. Nothing like a relatively fast reving torquey big carbed twin to sneakily shoot you down the road.

• Premium Member
https://fj-09.org/thread/2517/ngk-iridium-spark-plugs

Some run NGK CR9EIA-9 (6289)

but I installed NGK CR9EIX (3521) and have not been able to notice any difference and really shouldn't as they should just last longer. The stock copper electrode plugs looked great both in terms of wear and color at 10,000 miles though.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Last night after reading through this thread and the wonderful instructions a few times (thx @piotrek ) it was time to see what all the hubbub was about.

I began by consulting my service manual to identify the exact part and location.  Then removed all necessary bodywork and propped up tank with 2x4 wood block (3-1/2" actual lift).  I see 2 disconnected emissions hoses, no worries, stickers under tank show where things belong.  I see the APS, but there is a rollover valve in the way - more CA ONLY emission stuff - so I removed the push rivet holding it and moved it out of the way.

My small ratchet and 8mm socket work good enough to loosen the bolts slightly, one small move CCW and check numbers:

DIAG 14: was 17/101, now 13/98
DIAG 15: was 16/100, now 13/96

Tightened things up, checked numbers again, all is good.

This morning I emptied most of a tank of gas riding to breakfast then out to and along the coast.  STD mode seemed a bit smoother, low speed drive-ability was much improved, my gear changing was smoother, take offs were smoother, and for the first time I actually enjoyed some A mode riding because it smoothed it out just enough that I could!

All-in-all, I would say this was probably one of the best enhancements I've done so far, especially considering the price!

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
I think I left it at 12-97 in diag 14, and 11-96 in diag 15. 
I heard servos and buzzing as I cycled through the other diagnostic parameters, but none while in 14 or 15.

You must have a service manual, because I found nothing about this stuff in the owners manual.

...next time you do this, twist the APS CCW to near mechanical limit while in Diag14/15... you should hear something click pretty loud (I do, each time I tried). I think it's good to know where that point is to stay clear from it.
I found that the click occurred when both bolts were not sufficiently loosened. It seemed that instead of rotating on center, it was pivoting on one bolt and swiveling on the other. 
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 2 months later...
Dumb question but its just not clear to me. The instructions state:

6. When done with "DIAG 14", toggle the "TCS" button and go to "DIAG 15".
7. To leave the diagnostic mode, turn ignition to OFF.

Are all of these adjustments done with the ignition ON and IN Diagnostic mode and display on? Or are you turning ignition OFF, making adjustment, turn igniton back on, back to dx modes, check numbers, rinse repeat util where you ant them.

Thx

• Supporting Member
Dumb question but its just not clear to me. The instructions state: 
6. When done with "DIAG 14", toggle the "TCS" button and go to "DIAG 15".
7. To leave the diagnostic mode, turn ignition to OFF.

Are all of these adjustments done with the ignition ON and IN Diagnostic mode and display on? Or are you turning ignition OFF, making adjustment, turn igniton back on, back to dx modes, check numbers, rinse repeat util where you ant them.

Thx

When you are adjusting the APS, you are looking at the display to see the values change, this can only be done with the ignition "on".  Factory settings are usually around 17, I initially lowered mine to 14 and then a few weeks later lowered it again to 12.  Loosen the screws on the APS and make slight adjustment, maybe 2mm at a time, you will see the values change on the display.  When you get the value to where you want, then snug the screws down.

So, I finally got around to trying this free mod.
Settings were as follows:
Stock New
Diag. 14 17 101 13 97
Diag. 15 16 100 12 96

Unfortunately, I can detect little or no difference in off to on throttle transitions. I have a 2015 with stock exhaust and the 2WD flash. I am glad that I tried it because it was easy and free. The hardest part is the bodywork, which isn't difficult. just adding my results to the data set. Thanks to those who shared the info on this.
2008 Street Triple G
2015 FJ-09

• Supporting Member
So, I finally got around to trying this free mod. Settings were as follows:
Stock New
Diag. 14 17 101 13 97
Diag. 15 16 100 12 96

Unfortunately, I can detect little or no difference in off to on throttle transitions. I have a 2015 with stock exhaust and the 2WD flash. I am glad that I tried it because it was easy and free. The hardest part is the bodywork, which isn't difficult. just adding my results to the data set. Thanks to those who shared the info on this.
I am really surprised that you didn’t notice any difference. When I changed mine from 17 to 14 it was immediately noticeable, and then later dropping it from 14 to 12 had the same result, very much smoother on/off throttling.