louie

Rubber smell coming off engine

Has anyone experienced the smell of rubber burning after the bike warms up?  I'm past the break in period, so it isn't that "new bike" burn in smell.  It seems to happen after I've been stuck in traffic idling for awhile.  I've checked to see if there are any hoses or cables melting on the motor, but I can't see anything.  

Any suggestions?  

Has anyone experienced the smell of rubber burning after the bike warms up?  I'm past the break in period, so it isn't that "new bike" burn in smell.  It seems to happen after I've been stuck in traffic idling for awhile.  I've checked to see if there are any hoses or cables melting on the motor, but I can't see anything.   
Any suggestions?  

Yep, mine too. It may be a Yamaha thing; my FJR did it bad even after 60k miles. Never could figure out why. With the FJ I've ust come to expect it.

I noticed this on mine just yesterday as it was warming up (chilly out). I was getting a ton of condensation from the exhaust and wrote it off as some sort of unobtanium burning off the catalytic converter or something.

I noticed my bike was a little stinky for the first 5000-8000km after a good ride especially in A mode, but it no longer has a smell.

I found this smell to be much more prevalent, along with carbon spots on my exhaust shroud, when running conventional oil.

Switched to synthetic oil and my exhaust shroud gets much less sooty over time and I get less of that burning oil smell.

I have this issue as well. No answers here on this thread sadly. It is not a burnt oil smell. I run on synthetic oil. I get the smell whether it's wet or dry out. I bought the bike used, had 13k on it, now 17k. I had a Yamaha FZ6 before this bike and no smelly issues there. It could be an exhaust issue possibly, considering where that exits. I will check chain lube fling onto exhaust.

Hi Guys.

I have a theory....

I noticed this on My FJR and on the Tracer, this appeared to be worse in damp weather and we put it down to there being a small amount of tyre rubber on the road from cars and lorries, this gets sprayed onto the hot parts of the exhaust and creates a smell like burning rubber.

The smell becomes less noticeable after a good rain storm and then the roads have dried as all the rubber gets rinsed away.

And this is my theory. 

Be Good.