Hard Starting Randomly

Seemed like from the start the bike developed this random and very hard to reproduce issue of hard starting.

I took it to the dealer 3 times for the same issue and they could not reproduce it on demand so they were basically telling me to keep an eye on it and let them know when it happened again.

It seemed that when i kept my bike on the centerstand it would cause this issue of the bike not sending gas during start and the bike would take 10+ seconds to finally fire up.

I finally got the bike to the dealer and they were able to reproduce the issue and called yamaha.

Yamaha suggested that the TPS get checked to ensure that it was within spec.

It turns out that the TPS on my bike was indeed out of spec on the low side causing the hard start for my bike.

THought i would share.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I had it happen to me once when the bike was cold, but it was warm out. David has had it happen multiple times. I am hopeful it is the TPS setting, but figure it would happen all the time if not set properly. More to come on this I think.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Hey FJ09 sir David, is this from starting either hot or cold starts?
Good luck!
Cheers,
Steve

There didn't seem to be a pattern on when it happened. It happened when sitting for twenty minutes or overnight. It happened once while I was getting gas.

Ya know, I was thinking just that today! Mine only did the "hard start" once a couple weeks ago, and i'm sure it was because i'm used to my old carb'ed bikes. Turn the key, hit the starter. I actually wait a couple secs when starting my FJ now.

I wonder if that seems like a possibility, fj09david? Or have you already tried this?

Ty
'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

Ya know, I was thinking just that today! Mine only did the "hard start" once a couple weeks ago, and i'm sure it was because i'm used to my old carb'ed bikes. Turn the key, hit the starter. I actually wait a couple secs when starting my FJ now.  
I wonder if that seems like a possibility, fj09david? Or have you already tried this?

Ty

I generally turn the key on while putting my helmet on. Than mount the bike and attempt to start it. The behavior is the same.

I finally got the bike to the dealer and they were able to reproduce the issue and called yamaha.

It turns out that the TPS on my bike was indeed out of spec on the low side causing the hard start for my bike.

So just so I understand, if the TPS is reporting pressure out of range, the bike won't start or has a hard time starting? Unless I am completely misunderstanding TPS as Tire Pressure Monitor System that seems like a very poor design or bug. If you are out in the boonies and have a low tire, what then? 

Next time, even if you think you understand what the problem is or was, ask for them to explain it and make sure they aren't using acronyms to explain the problem. Just say IDU.  Good post.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member

So just so I understand, if the TPS is reporting pressure out of range, the bike won't start or has a hard time starting? Unless I am completely misunderstanding TPS as Tire Pressure Monitor System that seems like a very poor design or bug. If you are out in the boonies and have a low tire, what then?
My bad, I was the idiot that said TPMS, which is tire pressure (since fixed). I type so fast some times I go on autopilot.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

My bad, I was the idiot that said TPMS, which is tire pressure (since fixed). I type so fast some times I go on autopilot.
Ah, no worries.  Throttle position makes much more sense in relation to the issue!

• 2 weeks later...
I have the hard start issue, too. It only happens on my bike when the engine is warm. Cold starts have always been instant. I don't think it has anything to do with waiting for the fuel pump because I never do, so I would expect the hard start problem would crop up on cold starts as well in that case, and it doesn't.

It's somewhat of a surprise and a worry when it happens, I mean to have to spin the engine like that multiple times in this age of fuel injection. You feel a little helpless because teasing the throttle and doing all those other little tricks that might work with a carbureted engine have absolutely no effect. You're just at the mercy of the ECU gods waiting for them to decide that the engine will start.

Thanks for the pointer about the TPS. Will have the dealer check for that.

I happened upon a thread about this issue on another forum..... one for bikes with a common engine. Anyway, they seem to find that evap pressure from the bike sitting effects it starting when warm especially if the tank was recently filled. Those who have experienced it...try carefully cracking the gas cap to see if the symptom is alleviated.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Archived