Hard Starting Randomly

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I tried starting the bike before the diag. I turn the key and didnt here the prime wait a few second and push the button. It would just crank. Shut the key off gave it a few more seconds turn it back on waited for the computer to cycle and heard the prime. It started right up. It might be somethimg to do with the ecu thinking it doesnt need to be primed because it thinks its still warm and fuel is still in the system. Not sure but its a thought.
Read over at the fz forum that this is a issue as well. Most say if it doesnt start first try turn key off and back on and it will start right up. This is only a temp fix but would really like to solve it and the reason why it does this to certain bikes.

Highly doubt the ECU choosing if it wants to fire the pump or not. It should fire the pump without fail for 4 seconds every time the key is cycled from Off to On - as long as the stop/run switch is in Run.

If you want to order and throw parts at it, then I can suggest one. Otherwise, the bike is under warranty and the dealership should dx and fix it.

Sorry man, I think that we've exhausted the Internet forum troubleshooting as much as we can. ;-). I'd make an appt and take it from there.
As long as the dealer tech can duplicate the issue you are having (show the service writer at check in) they should be able to figure it out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Skip
Would the control module not log this? Rather than having to duplicate the fault could they not download the data? 

Highly doubt the ECU choosing if it wants to fire the pump or not. It should fire the pump without fail for 4 seconds every time the key is cycled from Off to On - as long as the stop/run switch is in Run.  
If you want to order and throw parts at it, then I can suggest one. Otherwise, the bike is under warranty and the dealership should dx and fix it.

Sorry man, I think that we've exhausted the Internet forum troubleshooting as much as we can. ;-). I'd make an appt and take it from there.
As long as the dealer tech can duplicate the issue you are having (show the service writer at check in) they should be able to figure it out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Skip
Would the control module not log this? Rather than having to duplicate the fault could they not download the data? 

Johan - No. Unfortunately the system doesn't have any kind of programming to determine if the fuel pump is even connected. It's a mechanical device, not a sensor or switch that generates feedback to the ECU.

there IS a vague no start condition code that can be accessed only with the dealer software. However there is a footnote in the service manual that states that even though it's an actual code, it is very difficult to get it to trip. No explanation on what or why that is.

Skip

Having same issue on a cold start, I have to turn the ignition key twice and it starts right up the second time, not a big deal but still annoying
[br Sorry to hear that but also glad I am not the only one. It happen to me again today but this time I didnt turn the key off. I just let off the red button and pust start again and cranked right up..

My FJ09 had this problem for a while, it does not have it now. I adjusted the free play of the throttle cable to maybe 2 or 3mm and that's all it took on mine to eliminate this problem, it fires up instantly.

Fast Fred

My FJ09 had this problem for a while, it does not have it now. I adjusted the free play of the throttle cable to maybe 2 or 3mm and that's all it took on mine to eliminate this problem, it fires up instantly. 
                                                                              Fast Fred
Another good tip ...... thanks!!! Definetly will try it over the weekend

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
                                                                              Fast Fred
Thanks Fred,  When my bike was cold I was having to press the start button twice to get it started. I experimented with eliminating the slack at the throttle and it would start on first try every time So I adjusted the free play per your advice and all is good now and it starts right up. This is what makes the forums great.
Bill
2015 Heeled by the hands of Nel's @ 2WheelDynoworks
K-Tech forks and shock
lots of other expensive unimportant stuff.
The "Ex" 2003 FZ1
Ride more, worry less.

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, my bike has about 1600 miles and in the past week I've a minor issue that another person on here described. The bike cranks but doesn't fire.

Pretty much, I inserted the key, turned it on, and pressed the ignition button. The starter was trying to start the bike but nothing was happening. I let off the ignition, waited a sec, and then tried it a second time. The second time, it sounded like it wanted to start but it wasn't able to achieve proper idle rpm. Finally the third time after letting it crank a few seconds it started. The bike is only a month old so I do not believe it was the battery.

Also, just like the other poster, my bike had been sitting for about an hour or so. Any ideas what this could be? I did some research and other than the other dude in this thread, I could not find anyone else with a similar issue.

Read more: http://fj-09.org/posts/recent#ixzz3cW8E7SbS

• 2 weeks later...
Took my FJ in for the same issue described here. Dealer couldn't duplicate the problem while leaving it inside their shop overnight. The problem has gone away on it's own after the weather warmed up. Will have to wait until Fall to see if it come back. Have sync'd the throttle bodies since just to make sure that was not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey everyone, I experienced the hard starting on my California FJ with 1800 miles for the first time yesterday. It was a cold start, however it was nearing 100° F ambient temperature. I cranked it two times before switching the key to the off position. Turned key on and waited for the fuel pump, still no start. I ended up giving some throttle and it sputtered to life. Rode for over an hour in the heat, started regularly afterwards. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

I remember reading the publication CityBike's very positive review on the FJ where they mentioned having the hard start. http://citybike.com/includes/upload/back_issue/cb_2015-03.pdf mentioned on page 12. I'm sure something can be tweaked to fix it for all. I'm saving up for an ECU flash, so I'll have time time to monitor the problem.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a different starting issue. I hit the starter button and nothing happens. I have to hit the switch over and over and rock it back and forth till it hits a sweet spot then starts. Of course when I dropped it at the dealer yesterday for the recall on the shift shaft the damn thing started at every touch.

Archived