Hard Starting Randomly

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know if Yamaha has fixed this yet? My dad just bought a new fj and since 150 miles it's been doing this. I have videos on my phone. It's not a ca model since we live in New York. Sometimes it cranks kinda starts. Cranks some more. Kinda starts. Cranks some more and starts (over a course of about 5-6 seconds on the starter) other times it just cranking for a long time. Let off and hit the button again and it starts. My dad is very un happy. But. We take it to the dealer. And it start fine for him the next day.... Luckily the dealer believes us and is trying stuff. But it's always fine for him. We get it home. And the next day it messes up. Pretty sad my $7000 fz6r fires up perfectly every time. And his $10000 fj don't

• 1 month later...
Finally got a video that I could use to show my Dealer.  Pacpac if you have videos, I would suggest you upload them too.  Problem is no one can ever get it to happen at the dealership as it is always warm once you ride it there.  I know I'm a monster, I filmed in landscape, but I was holding the phone and trying to show it was cold and start at the same time.  

[video src=https://youtu.be/Bn3ILsawcZg]

• Premium Member
Just watched the video. That's a problem? You must lead a charmed life if that is all there is to bug you.

Talking of bugs, that giant spider should see off most bugs. Perhaps it is sapping energy from the bike?
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Finally got a video that I could use to show my Dealer.  Pacpac if you have videos, I would suggest you upload them too.  Problem is no one can ever get it to happen at the dealership as it is always warm once you ride it there.  I know I'm a monster, I filmed in landscape, but I was holding the phone and trying to show it was cold and start at the same time.   

[video src=https://youtu.be/Bn3ILsawcZg]

Yep mine does that occasionally too.

Characteristic of the bike. I don't think anyone knows of a fix yet, since it almost always starts the second time.

Skip

Agree, and I know some dealers have seen it and not been able to come up with an answer either.  I would think it has to be a fueling issue as I hear the pump again after initial attempt at start and it does fire up.  Its a minor annoyance for me and certainly not a deal breaker. But if my added information can help get it fixed great.  

• Premium Member
Adding a bit more data:

After a whole summer with nary a case of the hard starts I'm seeing this happen fairly frequently now that the weather has turned cooler. Cooler but not cold; it's barely been down to mid-40s F so far this fall, and at least some of the hard starts happened when it was in the low to mid 50s. Not every time by any means, but several times in the past week after not seeing it at all for months.

Previously I said that I hadn't had it happen if I turned the bike on and waited for the gauges to finish initializing. I can say absolutely that it happens even with the wait, so that's not a panacea.

I don't recall it ever happening if the bike was already warm (but memory is fleeting and unreliable).

Someone said that running the bike for a short time and turning it off seems to make it happen. I have certainly seen it happen when I did that, but also the morning after my regular commute. I don't think that's it.

I have had good luck getting around it by just turning the bike off and then on again when it happens. I still suspect the electronics are confused somehow. Sometimes it cranks through it if I'm patient, other times it really seems to need electronics reset.

I'm going to start paying attention to the temperature whenever it hard starts to see if there's a pattern there or if it's just my imagination. The one thing about the bike that has changed since I started seeing this regularly is the oil: I'm now running Mobil-1 synthetic rather than Yamalube. I definitely had it happen with Yamalube previously though, so I'd be surprised if that were the difference. I'm betting on temperature.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 months later...
Hi, my new one week old FJ-09 is having the warm start issue. It happens after the bike has been sitting for about a half hour. It's a California bike. The weather has been in the 40s.

Has anyone done the TPS sync and the problem being resolved?

The dealer is over an hour away so I'd go if TPS sync is the fix.

Thanks.

• Premium Member
Hi, my new one week old FJ-09 is having the warm start issue. It happens after the bike has been sitting for about a half hour. It's a California bike. The weather has been in the 40s.  
Has anyone done the TPS sync and the problem being resolved?

The dealer is over an hour away so I'd go if TPS sync is the fix.

Thanks.
Most of us have experienced this from one time or another. Not sure why, but it almost goes completely away after the bike gets some miles on it. Maybe some stiction in the key mechanism, or on the on/off switch that smooths out?  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest dmizer
Most of us have experienced this from one time or another. Not sure why, but it almost goes completely away after the bike gets some miles on it. Maybe some stiction in the key mechanism, or on the on/off switch that smooths out?
It's still happening to mine. As I've mentioned before in this thread, my problem is hot restart. If I've been riding for more than 40 minutes or so and stop to fill up, for example, when I try to restart, it's very difficult to keep the bike running and the idle is very low.

I have nearly 30000 km on my bike.

The dealership tweaked some settings via the instrument panel. My fuel efficiency has dropped off by about 2 km/l and although it's better than it was, I still experience the problem.

I've never experienced a cold start problem. Fires up for me in the morning every single time with no problem.

• 4 weeks later...
Video of what mine is doing. Mine only does this sitting in the sun when it's warm out, and the bike is cold. On a cold day with direct sunshine it won't do it, only when it's ~65*F and higher. Today it was mid 70's.

It sometimes does not start until I roll on the throttle though, this time it started on its own. The video shows the 2nd and 3rd time cranking it, I only remembered to get video after I initially tried to start it and no luck. 

• Premium Member
Video of what mine is doing. Mine only does this sitting in the sun when it's warm out, and the bike is cold. On a cold day with direct sunshine it won't do it, only when it's ~65*F and higher. Today it was mid 70's.  

It sometimes does not start until I roll on the throttle though, this time it started on its own. The video shows the 2nd and 3rd time cranking it, I only remembered to get video after I initially tried to start it and no luck. 
My 3 day old one does the exact same thing.  I have read a lot of reports of this, and Yamaha has to know about it.

Here is my thread on this nightmare.

http://fj-09.org/thread/1577/failure-start-experience-why

I just received a replacement bike, but the lemon law does not give you back full price so this replacement cost me handsomely. I'm very disappointed in Yamaha's inability to diagnose and rectify the issue in a way that doesn't make me feel like I got screwed. I can't even get my Yamaha rep to call me back.

In the final weeks of my ownership I was advised to try running 87 octane gas, this may be a coincidence, but I had no issue with 87 in tank. So you all can try that to see if it makes a difference. God knows Ive tried everything else.
2001 Honda Saber - sold
2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold
2005 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2007 Yamaha Vstar 1300 - sold
2008 Kawasaki Versys - sold
2009 Yamaha FZ6 - sold
2010 Yamaha Raider - sold
2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 - sold
2014 Yamaha FJR - sold
2015 Yamaha FJ-09 - lemon back to dealer
2016 Yamaha FJ -09

Archived