Has anyone lowered their FJ-09 ?

silverninja

• 2 months later...
Well, for those still following, I now can answer my own questions after six weeks with the lowering kit in place. Note the following: 1) Handling has not been affected (at least any change I can detect), and I am a fairly aggressive rider, as in drags footpegs with feelers removed. 2) Slight sacrifice in ground clearance - only noted with very aggressive cornering. 3) Side stand and centerstand still work - bike is slightly more vertical on the sidestand, and more effort is required to rock bike up onto the centerstand. Off-road clearance a non-issue with me, as I am pavement-only. The change in overall height is minor; I have a feeling the height was a very careful compromise from Yamaha, so the sidestand/centerstand would still be usable. I also dropped the forks in the tripleclamps about 5/8 of an inch.

Glad you got it sorted.

I used the Yamaha dogbones to lower mine (well hubby did the job actually) and found it to handle terrible.
After much mucking around trying different setting with the preload and damping (front and rear), we ended up swapping the rear shock out and bought a fork kit from Pattonme and the bike is amazing and chews up the kilometres.

I'm 75kg (with gear, max) and 5'5" tall.

Enjoy!!

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 1 month later...
I had the dealer lower mine before I picked it up and they did lower the front about 3/4".  Seemed to handle fine for me.  I also bought a new kickstand and had that modified for the new height.

Later, I added the Higdonion skid plate.  After reading/viewing Twist of the Wrist and felt more comfortable on my cornering, I started to scrape against the skid plate.

Being vertically challenged, it helped me be more comfortable on the cycle.  I finally did revert back to the original height and have had no problems with the skid plate.

I do have the lowering links and also the chopped kickstand I will be willing to sell :)

I have a 06-07 Suzuki GSXR 700 tripple clicker shock that is 1/2" shorter than the stock one. It will lower your FZ09 or FJ09 slightly in the rear, and you can drop the forks in the tripple tree to match.

It's a project that I've never completed, and I ended up just buying a shock from a Hayabusa, that is the right size, and has a stronger spring to start with, but is only a two clicker. (Has Compression and rebound, but not high and low speed compression like the GSXR shock.)

For a lighter, shorter rider, this GSXR shock would be perfect. No need for different dog bones either. (I was going to use the shock, add a higher rate spring, and custom make longer dog bones to raise the rear slightly, as that makes the bike turn faster, but can result in a tank slapper if you go too far.)

I'd sell it for 50.00 and you pay shipping from Idaho. ;) It's used, in nice condition.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I too am short legged. I used the Yamaha lowering links to lower about 5/8". Also raised the forks an equal amount. There was some difference in handling. Turn in was more controlled but took a little more effort. I put a crack in the oil pan on a speed bump after lowering. Changed to new pan and added a skid plate. With extreme cornering the skid plate occasionally scrapes.I also have a custom low seat and thick soled boots.

• 3 months later...
Just purchased my FJ August of last year and wow what a great bike. Lowering it was definitely my first priority. I just installed a set of 1" ebay $30 lowering links along with lowering the front forks 1/2" and man I love this setup, still messing with oem dampering adjustments but if you are struggling with rider height issues these links are great. I am a very conservative rider, mild speed in corners, and have no problems. I've also installed 1" handlebar risers for a better up right position, another must in my opinion. I think a new seat or modified seat cushion will be my next interest, probably going to stay two piece, not a fan of the one piece touring seats. Just my 2 cents. I also have lots of other upgrades just sticking to the thread content. Good luck to all.

Here's the fun I had installing the Yamaha factory Dog bones. All kidding aside it wasn't that hard to do. The bike tilt on the sidestand is less, but entirely acceptable. The little it lowered the bike made all the difference in the world to me. Even with Whites Packers boots on and the seat in the lower position I could not absolutely flat foot the bike. With the links I can.   I also lowered the bike at the triple tree 12mm. No appreciable difference in handling or ride. But I ain't that picky, and honestly you probably aren't that picky either.   So far the ride is fine (about 300 miles since).  But again time will tell. 

https://fj-09.org/post/73502/thread

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

• 1 month later...
I did it. with a friend. not too hard, less than an hour. we DID NOT remove anything except the original dogbones. just reach in with a wrench and it is doable. you might need a partner unless you remove what they say, but it really isn't necessary.
just strap it down compressed, put on center stand and away you go.

• 3 months later...
Ia follow up to the last post above, mine. the handling was not great after I lowered the bike. I didn't realize just how bad it was until I took the intro class with california superbike school and used their s1000rr. when I got back on my bike it was too squirly. I took it into a local mechanic who lowered the front forks just a bit and adjusted front and rear. back to fantastic. less than an hour, $50.

• 6 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 7:55 PM, 2linby said:

Here's the fun I had installing the Yamaha factory Dog bones. All kidding aside it wasn't that hard to do. The bike tilt on the sidestand is less, but entirely acceptable. The little it lowered the bike made all the difference in the world to me. Even with Whites Packers boots on and the seat in the lower position I could not absolutely flat foot the bike. With the links I can.   I also lowered the bike at the triple tree 12mm. No appreciable difference in handling or ride. But I ain't that picky, and honestly you probably aren't that picky either.   So far the ride is fine (about 300 miles since).  But again time will tell. 

https://fj-09.org/post/73502/thread

Follow up on this mod.  After 7800 miles I have grown accustom to the position. Whenever I go over speed bumps I do slow way the hell down. I replaced the drain plug with the flat Mazda plug and I also replaced the side stand with an adjustable from T-Rex. All in all there is no appreciable difference in the ride or handling.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Archived