TuneBoy Cruise Control

I suspect that the FJ-09 will end up getting factory cruise control very soon. If not 2018, then it's got to be included by 2019. It's a ride by wire throttle, with an ecu. It is not hard, and really shouldn't be that expensive to include on the FJ-09.

The FZ-09 and FZ-07 have had redesigns already. The FJ-09 redesign should be next and I expect Cruise Control on that redesign.

Then, that cruise kit should be offered by Yamaha for older FJ-09's.

This is why Flashtunes is not offering a Cruise Control option, as they know that it is coming soon from Yamaha. And then all the money they dump into cruise R&D would be wasted.

When Joe at Brandon Distributing went out of business last fall, I looked into getting the USA license for the Cruise Control Module from the company in Taiwan.

They wanted alot of money, and the thing that stopped me from doing it is the fact that I expect Yamaha to come out with their own soon, and then I would end up holding a bunch of expensive cruise control modules.

I would wait guys. I'd hate to see someone pay $400-$500 and then have Yamaha release one for $250 that works better with a custom fit button.

• Premium Member
I don't do a lot of highway traveling so cruise is very low on the farkle list.

I rode almost 3,000 miles last October-November. I was on interstates for less than an hour.

So. Nice to have but not a real necessity.

Looking at the price of other Yamaha accessories, if it does come out I doubt it will be reasonably priced...

JMHO...

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Hi! I really would like the cruise control, and perhaps some better fuel mapping over the stock mapping?

And, the option for a future upgrade (after market exhaust).

Will this "Tune Boy" thing work with this, and can it be "changed" or re-flashed later (say, if I swap out exhausts?

I'm not looking for big performance gains, this engine is so awesome. But a smoother throttle would be nice, and then a re-tune if I got an aftermarket exhaust (to lose the Catalytic converter and save some weight.. NOT for loudness!)

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Anyone hear any word on if you can order this from TuneBoy yet? I'm in the process of deciding what new bike I want, and the ability to have cruise control on the FJ09 would definitely make it my choice.
Just went to their site. "Yamaha Coming soon."  Plus when you go to buy something Yamaha is not an option in the dropdown box.

http://www.tuneboy.com.au/cruise-control/

Yamaha (Coming soon for these models)
R6 (2006 to 2015)
R1 (2009 to 2015)
V-Max (2009 to 2015)
MT09/FZ09 (All models)

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

My friend has one.. has had it on his bike for a couple of weeks. I can provide answers to some questions.

What I will say, it's not ready. The software side of things has a couple of major bugs that prevent the cruise from working properly. Tuneboy is however in contact with my friend, and it appears he is working to get it all working properly.. He shouldn't have taken my friends money without having a working product though.

• Premium Member
My friend has one.. has had it on his bike for a couple of weeks. I can provide answers to some questions. 
What I will say, it's not ready. The software side of things has a couple of major bugs that prevent the cruise from working properly. Tuneboy is however in contact with my friend, and it appears he is working to get it all working properly.. He shouldn't have taken my friends money without having a working product though.
Well there's our answer. Questionable product, questionable business practices. 

A shame. I would have been interested.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
There is a big difference in being a test mule and a paying customer.

When you finally release a product like these flashes they have to be right. This isn't a laptop being buggy. This is a motorcycle being ridden in traffic.

If you R&D stuff like this you ask for "test mules". Bikes who's owners let you try your mods as you develop them knowing that they're getting the Beta version with the inherent issues in hopes that they'll get the finished product for their trouble.

I understand that there will always be things you didn't anticipate popping up. But something like this should be damn well sorted out before you accept a penny for it.

JMO.

If/When Yamaha comes out with CC for the FJ09, and IF they use the same ECU format, plugs etc.... That will make this a very easy swap/upgrade for anyone who wants it.

Wrecked bike, and you get the wires/switches and ECU you need to "retrofit" your FJ09 to the "new" standard with CC.

And if it's just software, and the "tuners" can see it, and just "flash" your existing ECU with the new software? All you need is the wires and switches, since the CC will most certainly use the same sensors the ABS/TCC uses now. (And the older FJ's already have all that stuff ready to go, just need the cruise control buttons, and wires to hook them up. (Assuming they are not already there? I have not looked to see if the harness has them already, that would be the ultimate planning ahead for Yamaha from the start.)

They have this same set of switch gear on other bikes with cruise control. Why not just replicate the wire looms from those bikes v/s re-inventing the whole thing?