• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

TuneBoy Cruise Control

A flash for CC, and remove the speed limiter. Smoother fuel map would be cool, but I'd like to keep the O2 sensor with Kevin's deal, it's pretty smooth and it adjusts to changes in weather etc. (Where the flash is set, and that's it.)

I don't need the wheelie controls and all that drag racing stuff.

I like the idea of no extra buttons needed.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought one of these a couple of weeks back. It's a device about the size and shape of a cigarette with cables coming out. Two of them interrupt the plug to the stop light. One connects to the diagnostic connector under the seat. The other one is a USB cable.

It takes two or three minutes to connect it up. You flash the ECU with a simple program (the flash program) you download from their web site. You need an Internet connection at flash time to register the program. I just hot-spotted through my cellphone.

You can change a bunch of settings with a second program (the trim program). I pretty much left it alone. just enabled cruise. Trim also lets you examine error codes if the Engine light comes on, and clear them.

I tested it on a 700km ride on Sunday. It works well. You press the Mode button with some throttle on to engage. (Standard, Mode only works with the throttle closed). Press it again and the speed goes up 1km/h. Press it for more than half a second and the speed drops 5km/h. This last one is a bit jerky: power cuts and then comes back on at the lower speed, and MT-09s are snatchy at the best of time. (I don't mind it, that's why I'm always in A mode. I like the pugnacious character of the engine.)

When you engage it's always at the current speed, it doesn't remember the last speed. To disengage, touch the brake lever, brake pedal or clutch.

So, a bit primitive, but what do you expect, it's really cheap. They sell separate nudge buttons. I'll send them an email and see if the nudge buttons give you the resume function.

I bought it to stop wrist ache, because I'm getting old. Did a 700km ride, wrist didn't hurt.

Win!

tboy.png

• Thumbsup 2

12 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Its from Australia, I'm not sure if the USA tune is different, I would proceed with caution. 

Is this racist?  😀

• Haha 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

1 hour ago, bamarider said:

@Therealal can you give us more info on where we can get this device.

And the approx cost pls.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member

The following is a direct quote (extract) from the Tuneboy site:-

If you purchase the optional TuneBoy Nudge Buttons you can adjust the cruise control speed using the nudge buttons.
Cruise control is supported on the MT09, MT09 Tracer,FZ09,FJ09, R6 (2012-2016), VMax (2009-2018), R1 and R1M (2015-2016).
On the MT09,Tracer,FZ09,FJ09 the cruise throttle is limiter to 15% throttle.

It will be interesting if an email comes back that says it will resume?!

On 9/10/2019 at 10:03 AM, Therealal said:

They sell separate nudge buttons. I'll send them an email and see if the nudge buttons give you the resume function.

On the face of it, it seems like an elegant, if not perfect, solution for adding Cruise Control without having to add anything substantial to the bike.  I'm like many here who would be happy with just the CC option alone.

It would also be interesting/informative to see a video or some kind of review of this in action on an actual Tracer.

@Therealal interested? 🙂

Having said all that I do however like the McCruise solution as it seems the most tested and complete and behaves more like a traditional CC.   But it does require extra parts and cabling and is more expensive.

Interesting.... 

• Supporting Member

So, a bit primitive, but what do you expect, it's really cheap

And when you say ...  it's really cheap .... what sort of dollars are we talking?  The only link I could find was for the Tuneboy CC and ECU tune package that was ~AU$450.  Is that the amount you're referring to?

5 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

And when you say ...  it's really cheap .... what sort of dollars are we talking?  The only link I could find was for the Tuneboy CC and ECU tune package that was ~AU$450.  Is that the amount you're referring to?

Yes. MCcruise is three times the price fitted. 

I'm not that interested in the other features but I note on looking at the configuration screen there's an option to remove the speed limiter, which is selected by default. 

The software download for Yamahas includes FJ09 as well as MT09. Interestingly,  the Tuneboy guy doesn't like changing maps without putting the bike on the dyno.  He says injectors for example can vary by plus or minus ten percent. He says if you get a bike that's got them at ten percent over, make a map,  sell it and the buyer has a bike with injectors at ten percent below spec it will run like shit. He said he recently did maps for Benelli and they gave him a bike only after flow testing the head and selecting injectors in the middle of their allowed variation. 

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Thanks for the feedback Therealal.  I'm seeing a current cost of ~AU$865 (GST inc) for the McCruise option so it's just a little under twice the price if you fit it yourself I assume which is still significant.

It takes two or three minutes to connect it up. You flash the ECU with a simple program (the flash program) you download from their web site. You need an Internet connection at flash time to register the program. I just hot-spotted through my cellphone.

You can change a bunch of settings with a second program (the trim program). I pretty much left it alone. just enabled cruise.

So I'm still a bit confused (not hard these days), while it appears that you can selectively choose to only activate the cruise control option from the second Trim program, you still have to flash the ECU first.  So does that mean that the original (or whatever previous flash was there) tuning parameters are left unchanged if you only turn on the CC with the TRIM program?

I'm certainly no expert but am wondering if the 1st flash program is just adding a bootloader to the ECU that then allows/facilitates it to be written to with the TRIM program, now & in the future, where all of the actual changes are done?

9 hours ago, Therealal said:

Interestingly,  the Tuneboy guy doesn't like changing maps without putting the bike on the dyno.  He says injectors for example can vary by plus or minus ten percent. He says if you get a bike that's got them at ten percent over, make a map,  sell it and the buyer has a bike with injectors at ten percent below spec it will run like shit.

The statement by Tuneboy above (if I've interpreted it correctly - always open to debate🤔) would appear to indicate that nothing gets changed unless you make it that way via the TRIM program?  By extension then you would think that your ECU would remain unchanged until the appropriate 'switches' are flipped in the TRIM program and so you could then just have CC as a stand alone option if desired?!

The above is all speculation on my part of course and I may be way off the mark but I have to wonder.... if Tuneboy doesn't like changing maps without putting the bike on a dyno then does the flash change anything related to mapping in the first place and it is all in fact done via the TRIM program??

On a related/unrelated note, does anyone know where a LITEON AP900 can be sourced from at the right price? (AKA Command Cruise Control).  Just the unit itself.

image.png.a5a7d282b74ae83516f553497f58f0fe.png

Cheers.

I didn't go in to how it works. I assume the flash inserts the TuneBoy module in the command chain, the module contains his map, and the trim modifies parameters in that. The engine doesn't feel different. Modes still work. Fuel consumption appears to be the same.

According to his answer to my pre sales inquiry:

Anyone that tells you they can flash a map into your ECU that will be perfect is a liar.

Every bike I tune on the dyno is different, If I make a map for a 2017 MT09 with Akrapovic exhaust then flash it into another 2017 MT09 with Akrapovic exhaust I can assure you that it will be different.

My map files

Turn off the closed throttle fuel cut.

Turn off the O2 sensor.

Disable the SAI or leave it active, you can change this in the software.

You can set the thermo fan to come on at any temperature you like and change it any time you like.

Speed limits disabled.

Launch control is added.

Warmup blip feature added.

Downshift blip added (Needs a new QS sensor).

Cruise control added.

With our kit you have a cable to flash the ECU (through the diagnostic plug under the seat).

You can return the ECU to standard if you need to.

The cable allows you to check and clear any errors that occur on the bike.

You could always ask him. sales@tuneboy.com.au

• Thumbsup 1