Project... "Any Road"

gst95dsm

Thanks for the first hand experience with the TKC's.  I had never heard of them heating up before and causing any problems.  I'll have to be conscious of that if I find myself on any long high speed stretches.  Would you happen to recall the PSI you were running them at?  I work in the tire industry (non MC),  and based on the speed rating of the TKC's,  I can definitely see constant operation near their speed rated limit would build up some significant heat,   perhaps running them at or near their max PSI rating could help that situation.  
For road riding front and rear 29 PSI, 21" front and 17" rear, heavy duty tubes, tubeless tyres run on tubed rims.  
I didn't realise until i started to think about that trip that it was in 2009, 8 years that's a long time ago, and i haven't used TKC's since.

It would be interesting to see how you get on with TKC's on a bike with the power delivery of the FJ, Keep us posted if you can.

Thanks owle.    

If I find myself dropping the bike enough to worry about my hand guard durability I probably shouldn't be riding on that terrain.
Huh??  
Sorry man, that simply doesn't make any sense.

Sure it does,  this isn't a dual sport that will be dropped on a regular basis.  If it was,  I would rate durability in a drop high on my priority list when purchasing hand guards.  If I'm riding the bike on terrain that is causing me to drop it,  and subsequently damaging my hand guards to the point where their durability is a problem,  I am over riding the bike and shouldn't be there.  If I have an accident,  while on a road of some sort,  and my hand guard is damaged,  I'll replace it.  Get it?  

What sort of roads do you think you'll find yourself on with TKC-80s?
What's the thread title?  You're coming off a little pretentious to be honest.  FYI your experience's may differ from others,  crazy I know.  

I understand :) Everyone has different uses. I'm not implying that you're going to be taking on trails at Moab, beating it like an enduro bike. 

In your first post, you wrote this: "I need the bike to be able to handle a low speed drop without much drama [...] feel free to comment or make suggestions."

Based on my direct experience, low speed (even no speed) drops result in plastic hand guards (Both the FJ and the KTM hand guards) being broken on the first drop. Since you wanted the bike to be able to withstand low speed drops without damage to the levers, I suggested that you look into metal handguards like the Barkbusters instead of the KTM hand guards. 

If you chose the KTM hand guards because they were "easy to fit up and inexpensive," I totally understand and agree, but that isn't in alignment with your original post. 

Got the risers and hand guards on today!  Actually quite an easy and fast job.  I was a little bummed my wrenching time was so short.  

I am really happy with the fitment on the KTM guards.  I can see why so many are using them.  I was also under the impression the entire guard had a gloss black finish and was glad to see that the outer and inner portion are matte.  I thought the gloss would look bad with the rest of the bike but it's fine.  

The 2" pivoting risers also went on nicely.  I'll admit that adding 2" risers to an already HUGE riser isn't the best looking set up,  but it looks much better than I thought it would,  and I think is going to be the ticket to being able to stand and ride comfortably.  I can only assume the reason the bike has such long risers already is that they are making up for the missing 2" to 3" of shock travel this bike "looks" like it should have!  I was able to pivot the risers forward just enough and they actually rest on top of the original upper clamp.  In order to run these you probably should get a longer clutch cable.  I believe I have read that a certain year R1 cable is good for this and may be in my future.  For the time being,  I was able to route the clutch cable behind the triple clamp,  and that gave me plenty of length.  When it was routed in front as it normally is,  the clutch would pull at full lock.  The brake line was also a little tight.  I simply unbolted it from the small mount on the lower triple clamp and that allowed plenty of length.  I can't foresee any issues having done that,  but will update if any arise.  

Test riding the bike,  I like the additional bar height and I like that they are a bit further away.  I'm a big guy so reach is never an issue.  I did a little standing and it was much better,  but until the peg situation is addressed it's still hard to stand and ride this bike.  

08A2654F-893E-43B8-8CE6-87F299CCDF39_zpsk1vtvzmd.jpg

B9D3FA00-1781-45B4-878E-56F80E4B2279_zpsglnb6axr.jpg

FC956C38-D898-4147-ADE4-75611F1415E8_zps5d2bi6zz.jpg

Pegs came in today!  Man they are actually quite nice.  They are wider than I thought they'd be,  which is good.  They seem very stout.  Machined out of a big hunk of aluminum.   They are able to rotate around to not only drop down a little,  but also forward.  I think this will be a slight improvement in riding position for me,  and the added width will greatly help the proposition of standing while riding.  I'm not quite finished with the install since I need to source a cotter pin for the left side,  but overall I think they are pretty cool and will serve my purpose well.  

3571746D-E15F-4D94-994D-E271FC8C52F2_zps3wtc8z3j.jpg

6E559E40-AA89-41A4-A910-1C72AD0FE7F9_zpsp1rvaqzu.jpg

AEE68415-7F6D-4FF0-AF75-B66884677DA4_zps2taclara.jpg

C8F15F62-DAE4-4382-88A4-E0355A893403_zpsi9uoappf.jpg

7F1C9A69-4D2D-4538-BE07-A941CB3D4B6A_zps9brsbezs.jpg

This may help someone in the future.... if you ever replace your pegs you'll need this pin for the left side.  5/16th's by 1 1/4" is perfect.  

362C49CE-D87D-4C0F-9968-4BC802D52AFA_zpsm9gosezg.jpg

Got the left side buttoned up.... 

E74373E4-34DA-42FE-A0B9-BF88B089609C_zpsgr0jc3ze.jpg

E7922370-586E-453F-B5E4-F121D9B68EDE_zps7qxle4oj.jpg

I took a little spin on a dirt road near my house that is pretty rough and one I've tried to stand while riding before without much luck / comfort.  The bar risers and these pegs have now made it MUCH nicer to stand and ride.  Massive difference.  

The Beak showed up today.... one of the more frivolous motorcycle purchases I've ever made,  but it just seemed so fitting to this build.  It's a nice piece,  so well done it looks 100% OE when fitted.  

Higdonian cage also supposed to be showing up today!

BC74FFAF-F1B5-460F-B93B-1D47AB97AEB7_zps3vb5f7tk.jpg

B5E41F19-A3EA-47E4-AA4C-3996095C7595_zpsirwvflm9.jpg

4824D6A2-38F4-4282-9627-E6604AAB086D_zpsf2ttzdyj.jpg

Installed the Higdonian trail cage tonight. Overall it's pretty cool. Seems like it will do the job. Looks a little frumpy to me, and the skid material is a little thinner than I thought it would be. Fit up went well.

Looking forward to doing some rides very soon!

7F5A8F36-35B2-4A1A-8C2B-6297F59545D8_zpsxyaqzhrd.jpg
  • Thumbsup 1

The Beak showed up today.... one of the more frivolous motorcycle purchases I've ever made,  but it just seemed so fitting to this build.  It's a nice piece,  so well done it looks 100% OE when fitted.   
Higdonian cage also supposed to be showing up today!

BC74FFAF-F1B5-460F-B93B-1D47AB97AEB7_zps3vb5f7tk.jpg

B5E41F19-A3EA-47E4-AA4C-3996095C7595_zpsirwvflm9.jpg

4824D6A2-38F4-4282-9627-E6604AAB086D_zpsf2ttzdyj.jpg

dude.... I was right there with you until that beak showed up...... LOL.... 

Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north