What jacket do you wear.

thetruck454

I currently have an Aerostitch Darien jacket. I live in SW Florida and wanted a jacket that had Gore-Tex built in waterproof quality. In the summer I wanted to be ready for the sudden rainstorms that typify our weather. I have found it to be excellent weather protection. I formerly used a mesh jacket that required a zip-in liner to keep the rain out. It wasn't practical to have to stop and install the liner when the deluge was about to hit and the outer shell became a soggy mess.  Aerostitch has a wide variety of fitments and can be custom made for a perfect fit. Because of the well conceived ventilation system the jacket is comfortable even when the temperature hits 95 degrees.
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
Recently picked up a Sedici Diego leather jacket for my summer jacket, tried on a bunch of stuff in store at cycle gear and this was by far the best thing going. I was blown away how much it breathes the first time I wore it, can't even wear it in any weather below 65 degrees because it just gets downright cold. The shoulder and elbow armor is very stout, it came with a pretty flimsy piece of back armor but luckily my d3O piece out of my klim jacket fits perfectly in the provided pouch. Would highly recommend it if you're looking for a jacket that doesn't compromise on protection but is still comfortable in warm weather.

sedici_diego_jacket_black_750x750.jpg
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

I currently ride in an Alpinestars Andes jacket.. been good to me.. not really good for the summer but I wear it anyway for the protection.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 2 years later...

Hello.
I have a Modeka Chekker jacket for $ 316 and I think it's the perfect jacket for the money.
Safety: Exceptionally soft and comfortable Tactel® 750D outer material
Polyamide 500D
Reinforcement of Hitena®
What I very much prefer is a removable thermal pad and especially a waterproof membrane.
After a few hours in the rain I was dry ... I recommend.

hrjzrjhjj.png

• Premium Member

For around town

revit_wind_jacket.jpg

A simple, yet elegant solution for the heat of summer riding, the...

Long trips

firstgear_kilimanjaro_jacket_white.jpg

Looking for a 3 to 4 season waterproof adventure touring jacket? Look no...

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Motoport air mesh kevlar with liners. Took a tour of the factory examining materials and production, got measured, and decided to order. Custom fit, machine washable, repairable are all important to me. Have used it from 20F-120F. It's been from Invercargill to Prudhoe Bay to the Alps to Isle of Man and beyond. It's been covered in calcium chloride, mud, dirt, etc and machine or pressure washed off mid trip. It was pricey (1300ish for jacket and pants with all options 10 years ago) but in the long run it's been a much better spend than inexpensive southeast Asia off the rack gear.  

Also own a one piece Roadcrafter that is convenient for commuting as an oversuit that goes on and off quickly. Purchased used on ebay and sent to Stich for inspection and minor repairs, upgraded armor, alteration, etc. It doesn't get much use any longer since most of my work is remote these days.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Motoport custom air mesh jacket as well. I live and ride in Malaysia where it is hot muggy and can rain at any time. I wouldn't call the Motorport mesh jacket "cool and comfortable" (nothing is cool and comfortable in tropical heat and humidity).....but it is pretty comfy when you are on the move. It is mostly waterproof (only bricks and fish are totally waterproof) and when it does rain the jacket dries out really fast.

Build and material quality......You could probably build a tank out of the kevlar mesh and have no problems. The Motoport gear is custom made to your measurements and you can add lots of options and give it the look you want. I hope I never have to test it in a crash....but if I do go down, I can't imagine being in any other piece of clothing that would protect better.

Motoport's primary business is making protective pants and jackets for motorcycle police forces around the USA. That is a pretty strong endorsement.

The one thing you may not like....the initial price. But if you factor in this is literally the last jacket you will ever need to buy, the quality and strength of material, craftsmanship, and custom fit...it was an easy check to write....for my wife and me.

• Thumbsup 1

I recently switched to the Alpinestars Tech Air Street airbag system, and with that switched to two different jackets one for Hot weather, and one for Not-hot weather. The airbag is what it is... it's expensive, but when you need it, it's there and it'll save your bacon. It's already saved mine once.

For the summer months, it's the Alpinestars Tailwind. Enough venting for the crazy CA summer months, which is comfortable enough (while moving) even with the airbag.

alpinestars_tailwind_air_wp_jacket_for_tech_air_street_black_750x750.jpg.cc0da33aa948cf7e778ccf56c5743751.jpg

When it gets colder (really - when it's colder in the morning / evening, during commute hours), I switch to the Alpinestars Revenant, which is full Gore-tex, has tons of pockets and features, and full CE2 armor. I was "lucky" enough to go down in my last set of gear, and Insurance paid for me to upgrade to this one. It's good by itself from 40 to 80 or so, and can go colder as long as you add a layer or two. I did have a simliar non-goretex version of this jacket in the past (the Andes Pro), which was made with Drystar. If you like riding wearing a trash bag - go with that jacket. ;) I hated it, and was happy to upgrade to the Revenant when i crashed in it.alpinestars_revenant_jacket_for_tech_air_street_750x750.jpg.6965756384ed89e2028248fd8b189b32.jpg

Before going all in on the airbag system, I used a Klim Badlands Pro (the first version) for about 3 years, which I wore all year long. Best jacket / pants set that i've ever owned, and it was in such good condition after 3 years of use that I was able to sell it for over half of what I paid for it. The venting and features on this jacket are second to none, and I had no complaints at all.

klim_badlands_pro_jacket_black_750x750.jpg.677e3e5a4db76cd21578af0da8f282e4.jpg

The last summer before switching to airbags, I wore the Rev'it Cayenne Pro jacket (and pants) for the summer/fall seasons, before going down in it. It was a great warmer weather jacket, and i'd buy it again if i didn't want to stick with the airbags.

revit_jacket_cayenne_pro_light_grey_green_1800x1800.thumb.jpg.c87043308aa6e77b7b61cbba149c0b8e.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 years later...
On 4/24/2017 at 7:31 PM, Hdgunnell said:

I got the Transition 4 this season. Mostly because the color schemed matches my bike, but its a good all around jacket. Haven't used it in the rain yet.

tour_master_transition_series4_jacket_gun_metal.jpg

I like my Transition 4 also.  It is a good option for travel as it is very somewhat water resistant ( it will leak in a massive downpour) well ventilated to shed heat.  It's my go to jacket in the mountains.  Around town I like the CorTech GX-Air 5.0 it is well ventilated and i use a frog tog if it rains.

• 3 months later...

Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Mesh most of the year as a FL rider.  Joe Rocket Crossfire Textile jacket for the colder days.  Both available in tall sizes, which is a must for my arm length.

Screen Shot 2022-06-08 at 3.58.08 PM.jpg

joe_rocket_crossfire_jacket_rollover.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

After 50 years I have a cedar closet full of gear.  Leathers last decades if maintained. 

I bought gear as technology presented options but after 50 as my girth increased I've needed to fill in with carefully selected two piece moderately priced or on closeout.

I have a few pieces I should sell as a result but all have held up well.

But I always hope I'll loose 20+! It's just been even tougher since pandemic forced inactivity and my ortho issues.

My original two piece Stitch is so light but only water resistant, as per Andy's initial design intent.  My Transit 2 suit was heart stoppingly expensive but worth it but now also tight.

I have plenty to choose from, it all depends on the weather and ride scenario.

I'm also am a glove, helmet and boot whore.

ATGATT, words to live by.

Have added a Hit-Air vest and Brakefree helmet light to my ride kit.

I see investing in gear and training more cost effective than dumping more into the bikes.

Although running a headlight modulator is the best protection you don't need to wear!