What jacket do you wear.

thetruck454

Joe Rocket Atomic 5.0.  I find it great from early fall to late spring.  I purchased the jacket based on the fact that it was affordable.  I'll have to see how far into summer I'll wear it.
Brad
Selbyville, DE

This replaced another Rukka jacket that had mysteriously shrunk.
I love this euphemism for growing a beer gut ??

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
Klim Latitude. Served me well this winter in multiple downpours, and a couple instances where opposing traffic hit the standing water I was crossing, giving me a pretty good pressure wash. Sleeves are a little short for a lanky guy like me, but with gauntlet gloves it doesn't really matter. 

klim_latitude_jacket_black_detail.jpg

Also rocking a Klim Latitude in the hi vis flavor. Pretty awesome jacket it's serving me well in the cold spring air of lake tahoe. Also agree about the sleeve length issue as I am lanky as well, but just like you I have a couple pairs of gauntlet gloves so it is not an issue. Bought it at a store in Bend, Oregon, didn't get a crazy good deal or anything but the lack of sales tax was nice. 

5146-002_Hi-Vis_01.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=600&resizew=600
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-latitude-hi-vis-jacket

• Thumbsup 1
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• 3 weeks later...
After more looking I can't seam to find what I want in a waist length jacket,but there are plenty in a 3/4 length jacket. Can anyone give me feedback on how it's like riding on road with a 3/4 jacket on their fj?
'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• Premium Member
I've never had anything but the shorter jackets. Here in the southeast the heavier/longer ones are overkill IMO and YMMV. But I've never felt under protected.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Unless it's below 40 degrees the 3/4 jacket is more than I need.  But gear is subjective.  I've had to try a lot of different brands and styles (I.E., waste a lotta money) until I found what works best for me.  In the cold weather I prefer a waist length jacket with a removable thermal liner.  That way I can layer up/down with the liner, under garments, and short/long sleeve shirts as needed.  As far as specific brands are concerned IMO Rev'It provides a lot of bang for the buck.  I've got their winter and summer jacket/pants/gloves, along with Shoei helmet and TCX boots.  I've purchased most of my gear from Revzilla and MotorcycleGear with the exception of the helmet, purchased at a local dealer.

I currently use the Revit Cayenne Pro "meshish" and like it.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-cayenne-pro-jacket

Also use a waist length perforated leather jacket sometimes in summer.
I'm in Queensland, so moderate temperatures most of the year (Min 12 Max 36ish)

Nearly bought the Sand 3 for cooler rides, but the Cayenne does OK down to 8C with merino and cycling layers.

Also considering an inflatable like the Helite vest. https://www.revzilla.com/helite

revit_cayenne_pro_jacket_zoom.jpg

Living and riding as I do mainly in the sub-tropics with pretty much benign temperatures and mostly year-round sun I find that black jackets in any material are a decided turn-off.

For warm-to-hot weather riding I have a [strong]DriRider mesh summer jacket[/strong], the mesh being more holey than Mother Teresa! I rode in it yesterday in temps ranging from (briefly) 19°C to 27°C (81°F) and it was perfect. It comes with a REISSA waterproof but breathable detachable liner, and if there’s a suggestion of showers I’ll carry that with me in the top-box.    The 'breathable' is very important as we do get many days of high humidity in summer. 

This jacket is very light, comfortable, and easily-cleaned so that the light colour is no problem. The large amount of mesh is, I understand, made of some kind of nano-coated silver material that very efficiently reflects the sun’s rays.

For those occasional cooler days – or if interstate in winter or riding inland, where it can become literally freezing overnight and into mid-morning – I have another [strong]DriRider APEX4 jacket[/strong], very similar in looks to the other, but made of solid fabric. It has a thick-ish quilted detachable lining, and again the light grey colour is better at reflecting heat than black. It has air-flow vents in both front and rear so can be opened-up a bit if temperatures rise.

Both are very solidly constructed and both have good CE armour at elbows, shoulders, and a back-protector.   And call me  a cynic, but I suspect that the vast majority of these jackets of all brands are made in the same factory in Pakistan!

In the pic below, the mesh version is on the left.

P1030689r.jpg

P1030690r.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I have a Dainese Frazer jacket for riding. They don't make it anymore but I purchased it in Calgary like 5+yrs ago and its still going strong!

T2e_C16h_HJHMFG_1to_Bjc_BRzs_PUpj_Tg--60_1.jpg

Its worked very well for me, and has enough venting to keep me cool up to 30-35 Celsius or about 90-95F as long as your moving.
I have it paired with a pair of the Dainese D-Dry pants which have the removable wind/waterproof liner. I've ridden in a good down pour a couple times and while I was wet right through the jacket, I was dry below the waist.

• 2 weeks later...
After months of internet research and several jacket returns, I think I found my next jacket. This thing has vents everywhere and the fit is pretty good.   Along with my Dianese mesh jacket, it should cover all my seasons. I just can't decide on a color to go with my bike. Also not sure I'll get the pants as they don't look like they will work for overpants. I can't make up my mind on color, because you need to look good while being safe right?

held-carese-2-jacket.jpg

Kombi_9_Held.jpg.1946806.jpg

'15 FJ-09 with an aftermarket parts addiction

• 2 weeks later...
I've owned a plethora of jackets and gear over the years. If I was to do it again I would avoid the cheap stuff I started with. I would also avoid premium priced uber expensive stuff too as it is simply a waste of good money. The best performance/$ ratio is in the middle.

I'm a big fan of Olympia, because they are consistently one of the best manufacturers of good gear in their price category. Have an Olympia mesh jacket that has survived a slide and still wear. Also an Olympia AST I wear during the non summer period. Another great jacket I like for the money is the FirstGear Kilimanjaro, kind of like a reasonably priced Klim Latitude. I like the idea of a waterproof shell you can use your own base layers with. Also I like the Olympia Dakar, an adventure mesh jacket you can extend into cold weather. In my experience Rev'It stuff has been well designed but has not stood up very well to abuse and hard use. Dainese is another quality brand. 

Having ridden for a while I think what works best will be dependent on your local climate but for most of us we will need mesh for the heat and an adventure tour jacket for the rest of the year. I prefer the shell type of adventure tour jacket you can use your own base layers with.

kilimanjaro-textile-jacket-white-black-s.jpg
dakar-2-jacket-neon-yellow-black.jpg

I currently have an Aerostitch Darien jacket. I live in SW Florida and wanted a jacket that had Gore-Tex built in waterproof quality. In the summer I wanted to be ready for the sudden rainstorms that typify our weather. I have found it to be excellent weather protection. I formerly used a mesh jacket that required a zip-in liner to keep the rain out. It wasn't practical to have to stop and install the liner when the deluge was about to hit and the outer shell became a soggy mess.  Aerostitch has a wide variety of fitments and can be custom made for a perfect fit. Because of the well conceived ventilation system the jacket is comfortable even when the temperature hits 95 degrees.