Sliders Vs. Cages

• Premium Member
I've always had good experiences with sliders and case savers. They sacrifice themselves to protect the engine. I have Shogun sliders and R&G case savers. They're less expensive than an engine guard and IMO more aesthetically pleasing.

I've always had good experiences with sliders and case savers. They sacrifice themselves to protect the engine. I have Shogun sliders and R&G case savers. They're less expensive than an engine guard and IMO more aesthetically pleasing.
 I wonder if it is cost effective to have the case savers, if I am not mistaken, the R&G case savers cost more than the OM parts that will be scratched. The sliders would hopefully protect the tank and the upper parts. 
Does anyone here have an experience with the OES front and rear frame sliders as a package deal for FJ09?
Thx.

• Premium Member
I wonder if it is cost effective to have the case savers, if I am not mistaken, the R&G case savers cost more than the OM parts that will be scratched. The sliders would hopefully protect the tank and the upper parts.

My mistake. I have GB Racing. They're slightly cheaper. But you bring up a good point. I spent about $300. The cost of the parts protected is less than $500, so not that's not much more expensive.  Higdonion's frame is much more substantial, costs about $400, and protects about the same parts (but presumably better given how much stouter it looks).  IMO, it's not as aesthetically pleasing, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But the case savers should last through multiple low sides (hopefully I never have one). And if I open a hole in an engine case, the ride is over until I can get it repaired. I can't imagine any old Yamaha dealer stocks FJ/FZ09 cases. That will most likely mean the end of whatever trip I'm on. With case savers, I can finish the trip and decide whether I should replace them or not. I dropped my sportbike three times (dropped, lowsided on ice, and lowsided on track) and spools let me dust it off and finish the ride/track day. It's definitely anecdotal, but this kind of protection has worked for me in the past.

I am thinking about adding some sliders, but have never used them before.  How do you determine where to put them on a bike?  I see a lot of post with seemingly sliders everywhere...

Also, what makes a good slider?  I found these, and they are inexpensive, but are they too cheap?

https://www.amazon.com/Krator-2004-2012-Sliders-Protectors-Motorcycle/dp/B004PC28YK/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_qp_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004PC28YK&pd_rd_r=YDQCJDTSH404PHJK1YWR&pd_rd_w=ePZA2&pd_rd_wg=OJlqH&psc=1&refRID=YDQCJDTSH404PHJK1YWR

I am thinking about adding some sliders, but have never used them before.  How do you determine where to put them on a bike?  I see a lot of post with seemingly sliders everywhere... 
Also, what makes a good slider?  I found these, and they are inexpensive, but are they too cheap?

https://www.amazon.com/Krator-2004-2012-Sliders-Protectors-Motorcycle/dp/B004PC28YK/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_qp_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004PC28YK&pd_rd_r=YDQCJDTSH404PHJK1YWR&pd_rd_w=ePZA2&pd_rd_wg=OJlqH&psc=1&refRID=YDQCJDTSH404PHJK1YWR

I suggest OES sliders. They have options for both or only front or rear locations that are clearly marked. Depends on the level of protection you want and how much you want to spend. The no-cut installation is as simple as can be. Even I can do in 5 minutes per slider. ?

Looks like your amazon link has non-fj09 sliders. You will need to make sure your sliders are made exactly for the bike you own.

I recommend the OES sliders over Shogun brand. OES has a metal insert that doesn't compress when you tighten them up. I bought a set of Shogun for my FZ1 and after some time, I started getting vibration. The engine mount/slider mount bolts were loose because the plastic compressed. I could keep them tight so I removed them.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Givi case guards (and touring screen with MRW spoiler), front axle sliders and swing arm spools / sliders. Added driving lights and hiway pegs to the case guards. Mazda oil plug with trimmed sump pan protection fin. Considering sump plate...

• Premium Member
Givi case guards (and touring screen with MRW spoiler), front axle sliders and swing arm spools / sliders. Added driving lights and hiway pegs to the case guards. Mazda oil plug with trimmed sump pan protection fin. Considering sump plate...
What hwy pegs did you use? My Givi bars are coming this week and will be looking at pegs as well. Not too many options for the 22mm Givi tubes.
Try J&P Cycles piotrek they have plenty of them 
BLB

I would lean towards cages over sliders. Sliders can catch and flip the bike while sliding. A simple low side could turn into a twisted frame totality. A cage is less likely to do so.

'15 FJ09

I have Givi bars on my bike but thankfully haven't needed them. My son's Versys also has the Gigi's. the bike was recently ran into while parked and knocked over. The bike was damaged but the bars saved the engine from any damage. Sliders would not have offered the same level of protection, this time.

What do you use on the mounting bolts: thread-locker, oil, grease, anti-seize lubricant, astroglide? thx
Thread locker

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• 2 weeks later...
I went with the Givi engine guards.  Installation is more delicate than I expected with the long bolt passing through both sides.  I was able to accomplish this with a little finesse and a rubber mallet. I believe this blends in nicely with the bike and doesn't take away form the appearance.  It is certainly sturdy enough for a parking lot tip over or low speed drop.  The hard plastic advertisement seems a bit gratuitous.  I believe these pieces are truly nothing more than Givi advertisement, so if you leave them off, you have lost nothing. 

I went with the Givi engine guards.  Installation is more delicate than I expected with the long bolt passing through both sides.  I was able to accomplish this with a little finesse and a rubber mallet. I believe this blends in nicely with the bike and doesn't take away form the appearance.  It is certainly sturdy enough for a parking lot tip over or low speed drop.  The hard plastic advertisement seems a bit gratuitous.  I believe these pieces are truly nothing more than Givi advertisement, so if you leave them off, you have lost nothing. 
The plastic that advertises is also a place to strap down a bag on you crash bars.