Tank Bag Quick Disconnect How to (Dryver)

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
So I tried my magnets under the plastic trick and was less than impressed, so on to plan B.
What if you could buy a tank bag quick disconnect and add it to my existing Cortec Tank bag.
On to the searching and low and behold, I give you the Dryver quick disconnect. linky1
Now, how to attach it? Enter the small cutting board 12.5 in. by 9 in. I used the Trudeau cutting board, but basically any rigid plastic or Nylon would work.
The Dryver kit comes with fasteners for the gas tank lip. Very simple here, remove the old allen screws and attach the smaller Dryver QD with the provided allen screws.
Not to tight, as these are very small diameter screws. There was no locktite on the old allen screws, so I did not use any, but it would probably be just fine.
Now align your tank bag the way you like it on the gas tank and mark the screws holes on the cutting board. The board goes on the bottom, not inside.
To attach the larger Dryver QD, I used M6 x 30 bolts, fender washers, and locknuts. Pretty easy. Here are the pictures. Note, be careful cutting off the excess length of the bolts, as I boogered up the inside in one place using a dremel cutoff wheel. Then I got out my mongo bolt cutters which worked better. Then file/grind the sharp edges.

Here is the bottom of the tank bag with the cutting board attached. Four M6 bolts to attached the Dryver QD, and four M5 bolts to retain the edges of the cutting board.
20150214_150035_zpscgw2ddni.jpg

The inside with fender washers, 8 places.

20150214_150048_zpsdkgolfgx.jpg

The smaller piece of the Dryver QD attached to the filler neck.

20150214_150841_zpsd73likxp.jpg

This is how the two Dryver QDs attach to each other, 1/4 turn and it locks in place. 1/4 turn back to unlock.

20150214_150904_zpsnvu82nmz.jpg

How it sits above the gas tank so it will not scratch it.
20150214_150938_zps3hmhpucp.jpg

The tank bag installed.
20150214_150955_zpsn1a0xksx.jpg
20150214_150948_zps9hj7lcqx.jpg

The money shot.
20150214_151006_zps7ieftjiz.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
The Dryver QDs (C/T DRYVER TB RING SET Y1, 8295230211) were about $20 (do a google search for your best deal). So how does it work? It was rock solid today up to full ludicrous speed. Easy on and off. There are other options for quick disconnect tank bags, but I wanted to reuse my Cortech bag which I love and have had for 10 years.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

What an awesome idea. I assume this could be adapted to most any tank bag, regardless of brand, right? I suppose this means you couldn't really lean on your tank bag going down the road.... or can you, a little? Thanks for posting this. $20 and a plastic cutting board and I can have a slid, secure, easy on/off tank bag that doesn't scratch or wear my matte grey paint.

• Premium Member
What an awesome idea. I assume this could be adapted to most any tank bag, regardless of brand, right? I suppose this means you couldn't really lean on your tank bag going down the road.... or can you, a little? Thanks for posting this. $20 and a plastic cutting board and I can have a slid, secure, easy on/off tank bag that doesn't scratch or wear my matte grey paint.
Any tank bag, any size as long as it is big enough for the QDs. The cutting board just adds rigidity. Mine is really solid. I would have no problem leaning on it. Maybe put a rubber bumper on it so it will not deflect if you lean too much? 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Very nice job,looks great. Was wandering if you could post measurements for the bag so I could get a better idea of the scale. Great pic too. Thanks
Cortech tribag Top Bag: 14"l x 10"w x 6"h (10 Liters). Backslider, John? 
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• 1 year later...
I had a mini-Cortech magnetic tankbag that fit perfectly on my last bike. However, it almost blew off the eff-jay my first steep lean angle. Figured it wouldn't stay in place but had to try.  Due to this magnetic tank bag fail, I did this little trick posted here, a bit differently, but this thread gave me the idea.  Easy and cheap.  

Parts List:
[ul type=disc][*]Amazon Prime: Classic Accessories 73717 MotoGear Motorcycle Tank Bag -------------------$40.59 shipped.
[*]Walmart cutting boards "Mainstays 8.5 x 11" (need two @ .88 ea) ------------ $1.76[*]Dryver Tank Bag Mounting Ring Lock Sets-Ring Set :Ring Set Y1 - Yamaha - 5A-8295-2302-11 ------------ $29.49 shipped
[*][span style=font-size:medium]4 bolts size: ¼ in - 20 x 1 in  ---------------$1.18

GRAND TOTAL:  $73.02 [/span][/ul]

What the parts look like:

This is a really nice tank bag for little money on Amazon.  Has all the features I could ask for.  Cutting boards and ring set from Cortech info below...
aaa-1.jpg
aaa-2.jpg
aaa-3.jpg
aaa-4.jpg

How it all goes together:

PIC 1:  After 10 minutes of staring at the cutting boards at Walmart scratching my head, I looked up and hanging up higher were these.  Eighty-eight cents and they looked like they might fit well.  I bought two because they are thin and I thought I might have to create a base with them.  As luck would have it, the cutting board size fit perfectly inside the perimeter of the bag.  Got really lucky.  After some consideration, I thought it would be simple to just put one inside and one outside, therefore only needing to use the Tank Bag Ring Set's four bolts to assemble.
aaa-5.jpg

PICS 2 & 3:  I installed the special Cortech "Tank Bag Ring Set" to the filler fixture.  Since two of the stock bolts were very short (see pic of them), I was concerned that two of the five ring set bolts would "puncture" the tank because they were all the same long size.  But the ring has spacers built in to the plastic piece.   
aaa-6.jpg
aaa-7.jpg

PIC 4:  Not needing the magnets or straps, I carefully cut the stitching to remove the bottom part and discarded it.
aaa-8.jpg

PICS 5-8:  Long story short...you have to drill holes in the two boards using the upper ring to mark the spots.  I "eyeballed" my placement, but if you go smack in the center you'll be pretty darn close.  I used these bolts, you may need to try different size length bolts, I did.  Place a pre-drilled board inside the bag and then puncture holes in the bag so the screws go through.  I did this with a Phillips screw driver and made sure the holes were not too large.  Then I put the screws through like you see.  I used some Loctite on the threads for security. I had some of these rubber bolt covers laying around so I cut them to a smaller size to put over the exposed bolt, then took the remaining "tube" part and put over the other two to keep those bolts from causing trouble.
aaa-8.5.jpg
aaa-10.jpg
aaa-98.jpg
aaa-99.jpg

PIC 9:  See the clearance?  Perfect!

aaa-100.jpg

PICS 10-12:  See how it fits from bird's eye view and handlebar clearance:
aaa-15.jpg
aaa-16.jpg
aaa-17.jpg

Bottom Line:

PICS 13-15: How it looks on the bike.
aaa-18.jpg
aaa-19.jpg
aaa-20.jpg

Looking at the eff-jay tank, you really have limitations using a magnetic style bag.  And straps just plain suck.  So for me this was the only way to go.  I went for a 20 minute ride with the bag locked in place and everything seems to work fantastic!  Thanks for the inspiration...I'll update if I come up with anything else to share.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Great job guys! Wish I had thought of it. Makes perfect sense now. Me? NOOO, I had to spend $150.00 on a Givi 15ltr tank mount mount bag. I like the tanklocks too. Secure mounting, no touch paint, and I can slap it on either bike. Good work!
2015 FJ 09 Matte Gray
2006 FJR 1300
IBA member

Good idea I have done it with my givi tank lock system, got a spare locking ring from givi uk £12 including postage and now I fit what ever bag I need using 2 pieces of rigid plastic 5.5 by 8 inch and 4 nuts and bolts, making 4 little holes in the bottom of a tank bag and sandwich it between the plastic pieces and hay prestow a quick release system that's safe and sound.
like the pictures you posted better than words any day I have used mine for a few months now just keeping an eye on the tightness of the bolts

• 2 weeks later...
FOR SALE:  This pictured brand new tank bag with Dryver ring set with all the parts to install in 5 minutes.  (see previous thread for more pics of how this was made)

WHY:  I'm the creator of the Motorcycle Crash Rating Tool (MCRT).  After strongly considering the injury potential of this accessory design in a forward crash, I decided to remove it.  As functional as it may be, I just couldn't go forward using it.  I considered throwing it out but understand others may not be as concerned with this risk and may want it.   But after accepting the risk, understanding the nature of a forward crash and that this is "home made", you might be interested in having this.  In the end, I decided what I really wanted was just a map case for navigation so I ordered this LOUIS International Magnet Map Pouch - GetGeared from UK shipped for around $17.  A little big, but I'll never have to change my map on a road trip!  This map holder pouch [Pictured below] is fantastic and should have much less an impact on my crotch in a forward crash.  [i'm going with a tail bag for tank bag item storage.  I'll post pics when I get that set up.  I'm starting with a Bilt Cycle Gear tail bag in the garage, but ordered the right kind of straps from Amazon.]

PRICE:  My cost ($75) plus what ever shipping to you costs. 

aaa-18.jpg

highres_449328915.jpeg

Archived