My last four bikes had loud CCT issues

My current, the FZ-09 had this issue. I replaced it with an APE manual cam chain tensioner. Problem solved.

My Suzuki DRZ-400 had a loud cam chain tensioner, I replaced it with an APE Manual cam chain tensioner. Problem solved.

My Suzuki GSX-R 600 jad a loud CCT. I replaced it with an APE Manual Cam Chain Tensioner. Problem solved.

My Kawasaki ZX6R had a loud CCT. I..., ok, you get the picture.

In fact, do a search on Google for "Loud CCT". No, really! Go do the search. You will see forums for every single bike and car made in the world, Google has pages and pages of em.

The problem is, consumers are viewed by factories as being stupid and unable to maintain their bikes. And, they don't really want us to repair our bikes.

That way, we have to pay them ungodly amounts of money to repair them for us.

So, they don't install the superior Manual Cam Chain Tensioners on new bikes because they think that most of us will forget to adjust them once a year and cause engine damage during the warranty period, that they will have to cover.

GO get an APE manual cam chain tensioner and adjust it when things start to get noisy again.

Seriously, go google Loud CCT. YOu will see threads for every bike and car known to man and the solution for most is installing a Manual CCT.

Auto CCT's do not work very good and are inferior to Manual CCT's.

The FJ-09 is just one of hundreds of bikes with loud CCT's. Google it!

• Premium Member
My son had an older CBR600F3 that I needed to replace the CCT on. I always thought it was a Honda Problem. Glad mine is still holding fine. At least on this bike it is easy to remove! I also, as previously stated, put an APE manual CCT on my CRF250X and I adjust it when it gets noisy.
My point, this is annoying, as is any problem, but not a show stopper. If you swim with the fishes, you are bound to get wet.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I've had 3 other bikes with initially faulty CCT's and in every case the OEM fixed it with an improved version. I'd go manual if I had to but so far that hasn't been the case. As you say, the manufacturers don't trust us to work on the bike. In their own interest they eventually have to get it right.

If you concentrate on listening to most any engine it'll start sounding like a loose box of bolts.

Guest eatpasta
1150GS's are notorious for weak stock CCT' but once they've warmed up it kind of a non issue.
    One day I was riding home from work while at a stop light I started hearing his noise....this horrible noise that sounded like this

[video src=http://youtu.be/Ta-CM8OVOx4]

I nursed the bike home and did some research online.  When I removed the CCT (or what was left of it), my worst fears had been realized.  The cam chain rail had failed all together, fallen into the motor along with all the guts of the CCT. 
   When I went to pull the CCT, all that was there was the cylinder.  The spring and sleeve were in the engine.  I tried to fish it all out with magnets but there was no point - the engine cases were going to have to be split to replace the $5 part.  I sold it for $2500  :'(
     If I were retired I would have just said SOD IT and taken the bike down to the frame and restored it but with a baby at home and a ridiculous commute, I really had no choice.
    I would have another 1150GS, but they keep going up in value - which is just insane.  It was either another 2002 1150 for $8K or a 2009 FJR for $7k

not a tough choice

The more KM's I put on my FJ, the more the engine starts making noise. I think @cruizin is right in the fact that you either live with it, or get a manual CCT.

@cruizin, have you installed a manual CCT on your FJ yet? Are you going to? Curious about the before and after (and during) :)

I saw the instructions for how to install one on an FZ-09, but I feel like they're overkill directions. Personally, opening up the engine scares me (with my low knowledge of bike maintenance). I wish it was as easy as removing the old and popping in the new, but it seems like it's more involved. Part of me is just trying to live with it, but I can't un-hear it!

@livininvic I ride an FZ-09, but same exact setup an engine. As the FJ-09 is basically an FZ-09 with Farkles.

Yes, I installed an APE like I do on all of my bikes. Auto Tensioners work ok, but are often loud, on alot of bikes. In another thread I invited people to Google the term "Loud CCT" . You will find search results for Loud CCT's on almost every car and bike made.

But I think that the Yamaha FZ/FJ CCT is louder than most and Yamaha has come out with 3 different CCT revisions for the FZ-09 so far and all three are loud as well. The Suzuki DRZ400 has the same problem, and if you g on the Thumper Talk DRZ-400 Forum, they have 100's of threads on it and the conclusion is the same as mine. Live with it or install an APE Manual CCT, install it correctly, and then adjust it once a year or so when it starts making noise again.

If you call APE, you will be shocked when they tell you just how many of those that they build and sell ea year, for all models of bikes.

Again, I am not officially telling anyone what to do here, this is just what I do to most of my bikes. If you are not an experienced mechanic, then I wouldn't mess around with it man.

Just ride it until the warranty is almost over and then decide.

Guest eatpasta
isnt it just a little chain clatter? As long as it's within tolerances and only really happens when the bike is cold....whats the difference?

Guest eatpasta
On my FZ-09, the noise doesn't go away when the bike warms up.
thats no bucno. 
Im guessing this is a known issue though - no harm is coming to the engine with a little cam chain slap I would think

On my FZ-09, the noise doesn't go away when the bike warms up.
thats no bucno. 
Im guessing this is a known issue though - no harm is coming to the engine with a little cam chain slap I would think

Yeah, warm up doesn't help, but if it's been sitting outside all day it's louder than if it's been in my parkade overnight. Makes me think I'll notice it less in the summer.  
No harm, just noise. I wouldn't care if the FJ didn't sound so darn awesome otherwise! t's like someone gave you a delicious beer, spat in it, and then told you "yeah, but it's not doing any harm, it still tastes the same". Maybe not the best analogy, as I don't think Yamaha is intentionally spitting in the bike :P

@livininvic I ride an FZ-09, but same exact setup an engine. As the FJ-09 is basically an FZ-09 with Farkles.  
Yes, I installed an APE like I do on all of my bikes. Auto Tensioners work ok, but are often loud, on alot of bikes. In another thread I invited people to Google the term "Loud CCT" . You will find search results for Loud CCT's on almost every car and bike made.

But I think that the Yamaha FZ/FJ CCT is louder than most and Yamaha has come out with 3 different CCT revisions for the FZ-09 so far and all three are loud as well. The Suzuki DRZ400 has the same problem, and if you g on the Thumper Talk DRZ-400 Forum, they have 100's of threads on it and the conclusion is the same as mine. Live with it or install an APE Manual CCT, install it correctly, and then adjust it once a year or so when it starts making noise again.

If you call APE, you will be shocked when they tell you just how many of those that they build and sell ea year, for all models of bikes.

Again, I am not officially telling anyone what to do here, this is just what I do to most of my bikes. If you are not an experienced mechanic, then I wouldn't mess around with it man.

Just ride it until the warranty is almost over and then decide.
Thanks. That last part is probably the best advice on the issue so far. If you're not an experienced mechanic, just let it go as it isn't causing any harm. If it was bad for the engine, there would be bikes from every manufacturer breaking down all over the place ;) 

Archived