First 500 mile ride and the OEM seat.

redfjniner

I finished my first 500 mile ride, on the FJ-09, today and here is my impressions of the stock seat.  
Not bad.  
My total miles on the FJ is 1638 miles.  I expected that I wouldn't want to ride any more on that seat, but found that the seat was no problem at all.  I know from experience that I could turn around and add another 500 mile day and not be concerned about the seat.  Now I have to clarify, it was done when the temperature didn't get over 60 and for most of the day it was 45-55.  That helps because there isn't any sweat.  I also only had to stand up once, and that was more to get my electrical line to fall out of my jacket so I could plug in for heat.  Not nearly as good as my Russell, but it did the job and I will not be buying a Russell or Laam or any other seat in the near future.  I will use the stock seat all year and try to get 20,000 miles on it, then update this post. :)

Please post your impressions after you have done some time in the saddle.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Just curious but was your seat set in the higher riding position or the standard? I have mine set in the higher position but it tends to shift a bit more at that height. I've reset the seat a few times and it seems to lock in but I'm always a little wary that it doesn't sit in position as well. One other thing is one of my rubber seat bushings has come loose on more than one occasion. It wasn't an issue putting it back in but still kind of a nuisance. 

I have had no problems with my seat, other than being cheaply made, as the vinyl is too strechy.  Firmer would be good.  I have it set in the low position and it work good for me at 5-7.

Had the same issue here, and looking in the manual I found that there was a adjuster bit ( square plastic thing ) that had to be moved and repositioned to allow the seat not to move around. 

I first tried to put it in the upper position w/o moving it, and I thought there's no way they'd have designed it for that much movement which lead me to the manual. ( Shhh... dont tell the misses  ) 

And I've had the same issues with the rubber grommets that are under the seat as well. Not a "terrible" hassle to re-install, but would be nice if I didnt have to at all after moving the seat around. 

I finished my first 500 mile ride, on the FJ-09, today and here is my impressions of the stock seat.   Not bad.  
My total miles on the FJ is 1638 miles.  I expected that I wouldn't want to ride any more on that seat, but found that the seat was no problem at all.  I know from experience that I could turn around and add another 500 mile day and not be concerned about the seat.  Now I have to clarify, it was done when the temperature didn't get over 60 and for most of the day it was 45-55.  That helps because there isn't any sweat. 
My impression of stock Yamaha seats is that the foam is a little too soft for longer distances or warm weather. You mention temperature and that is where I have the most issues with soft seats as you get no air to the butt and when it is really hot you have to move around way too much to avoid getting monkey butt.  
I had a chance to compare the stock seat with the factory comfort seat at the show and as a result I quickly ordered a comfort seat for $300. The foam is a lot firmer and the cover seems to fit a little tighter. 

I finished my first 500 mile ride, on the FJ-09, today and here is my impressions of the stock seat.   Not bad.  
My total miles on the FJ is 1638 miles.  I expected that I wouldn't want to ride any more on that seat, but found that the seat was no problem at all.  I know from experience that I could turn around and add another 500 mile day and not be concerned about the seat.  Now I have to clarify, it was done when the temperature didn't get over 60 and for most of the day it was 45-55.  That helps because there isn't any sweat. 
I had a chance to compare the stock seat with the factory comfort seat at the show and as a result I quickly ordered a comfort seat for $300. The foam is a lot firmer and the cover seems to fit a little tighter. 
Ten to one odds the foam is the same, and the cover is just stiffer vinyl glued down. You must weigh more than me because I feel the foam is on the stiff side.  I like stiff but I don't like the streachy vinyl cover, I think if it was firmer and glued down it would be better.  I think you will find the extra $300 is going to be well spent.  Please give us a report on the seat after a few 500 mile, 90 degree days in a row. :) 

Ten to one odds the foam is the same, and the cover is just stiffer vinyl glued down. You must weigh more than me because I feel the foam is on the stiff side.  I like stiff but I don't like the streachy vinyl cover, I think if it was firmer and glued down it would be better.  I think you will find the extra $300 is going to be well spent.  Please give us a report on the seat after a few 500 mile, 90 degree days in a row. :)
The foam is most definitely not the same. This was confirmed with my discussion with the rep from Yamaha. It is quite a bit firmer and the cover is tighter as well.

Average Joe Public does not like a stiff seat, but long distance riders do. This was the assessment by Yamaha as told to me by the rep.

I bought an old yamaha XS 650 a few years ago and rode it home. After a few miles my rear end hurt so much I was standing on the foot pegs. I took it to a local boat shop to get it refoamed and covered. I explained I wanted softer foam on the seat for more comfort. The owner said " no you need firmer foam". No I said softer. He said firmer. Then he said he has recovered thousands of boat seats and who sits longer on them than fisherman. He was right. Seat is all day comfortable with firmer foam. Lesson learned. Ride safe. Fjer.

I haven't looked around for aftermarket seats for the FJ-09. I have a Russell Day Long on my FJR and if I buy a FJ-09 this year (likely) and if I find the stock seat lacking for all day comfort, I'll probably be sending the seat pan to Russell next winter. Those guys know seats.

I think the $700 seats are a waste of money. I've tried them on a couple of BMW bikes and they (the seats) did not perform. Since those very expensive experiments, I have had Beadriders on my bikes. Great air flow below my butt and good weight distribution with multiple contact points. The BeadRiders are $70 or so and worth every penny. I've done many miles on those simple seats with NO MONKEY BUTT and cooler summer riding.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived