Black Widow - another exhaust option?

Henchman

• Premium Member
Pics of the installed product:

5jRzV6qxIuFvG_xeERMr7zqIeaUqBWT3AemoJ-28BLAI5sJB3MefMTUtg8lKGyE6Bgqtmd6a2KhpoGRc-TA_XHboSpQrFV6H8bGI2PwmlQ5PmwTEfZ5UGehONgi9avdG7IGcIfDqRA

f-TDvFBgQky7sQ6O97VlYeWMbquOLPy3oY1QGZQgWSuZx-vvYivutD2fzNcWuouXIVXP4qtfS9J57RjM4y8A75ie5ZWjpoXMyTNF9ZOzZRieji4thBPNPYtb9bA1R5JZesocs_lHmA

3KxJ4fExyzAu0LCx53SHp_pW81K-nw3_Ie2I4QDbLUL-IZDNViW_UcVVKNfaouSstC9GHmW06TdxK9Pn5iJHvS-f-uArdifq4_wJ0wMRkBBtE33GUPwSNlytBw_H1VWTfUAuI74IOg

Overall, I will HIGHLY recommend this system to anyone looking for a new exhaust. At less than $600 shipped to me, this thing is almost half the price of all the competition that is available. Fit & finish is great. Weld quality is excellent. Hardware included is very nice, and the MOST important thing is it SOUNDS amazing. I can't wait for spring to get this puppy on the road!
  • Thumbsup 2
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member
Might I add, the carbon can looks oh-so-very delicious on the FJ-09, it really compliments the overall design & look of the bike very well.

5jRzV6qxIuFvG_xeERMr7zqIeaUqBWT3AemoJ-28BLAI5sJB3MefMTUtg8lKGyE6Bgqtmd6a2KhpoGRc-TA_XHboSpQrFV6H8bGI2PwmlQ5PmwTEfZ5UGehONgi9avdG7IGcIfDqRA 
Overall, I will HIGHLY recommend this system to anyone looking for a new exhaust. At less than $600 shipped to me, this thing is almost half the price of all the competition that is available. Fit & finish is great. Weld quality is excellent. Hardware included is very nice, and the MOST important thing is it SOUNDS amazing. I can't wait for spring to get this puppy on the road!
Looks clean, congrats on a nice job. The header piping looks tidier than OE too. It would be interesting to see how it would fare on a dyno. At this price it would be a win even if it didn't have any great performance gain... so long as it didn't rob the bike of power of course.
I must say that I do like the appearance and overall style of this Black Widow zorst option.   That said, I have always been very taken with the neatly-integrated and tucked away OE zorst on the Tracer, so much so that it's almost invisible.   It is very much preferable to some of the h-u-g-e items one sees on many bikes these days - in my BMW times their massive silencers - see pic below from my R1200 R (top pic) and GS (lower pic) bikes - were unkindly referred to as 'water-heaters'!   Massive, ungainly, heavy, unattractive, easily damaged - apart from that OK!   Fortunately plenty of after-market options were available, such as Akrapovic, but usually made of Unaffordium. 
P1030586.jpg

P1030139.jpg

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Guest kernowjim
I'm interested to see what affect the Black Widow has on performance and ride-ability.  I've heard some folks say there's a big dip in power and torque at 2500rpm, which is particularly noticeable in 6th gear when cruising.  All I hear is how loud they are and how great they look but I haven't seen a dyno print out anywhere.  Considering the stock exhaust has been specifically tuned to ensure ride-ability, I don't want to swap it out for something that ruins how the bike rides.

• Supporting Member
I'm interested to see what affect the Black Widow has on performance and ride-ability.  I've heard some folks say there's a big dip in power and torque at 2500rpm, which is particularly noticeable in 6th gear when cruising.
How are you able to cruise at 2500rpm in 6th gear? Is that even possible? I think the only time I am at 2500rpm is taking off from a stop in 1st gear. 
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
I'm interested to see what affect the Black Widow has on performance and ride-ability.  I've heard some folks say there's a big dip in power and torque at 2500rpm, which is particularly noticeable in 6th gear when cruising.
How are you able to cruise at 2500rpm in 6th gear? Is that even possible? I think the only time I am at 2500rpm is taking off from a stop in 1st gear.

Down a very steep hill maybe?

Let’s go Brandon

Guest kernowjim
OK fair enough, I was just asking if the Black Widow affected the bikes fueling at all at any point in the rev range, perhaps 2500rpm is too low but that's what I've seen quoted.   

OK fair enough, I was just asking if the Black Widow affected the bikes fueling at all at any point in the rev range, perhaps 2500rpm is too low but that's what I've seen quoted.   

the fueling/fuel cell values are preset via ECU(if not using aftermarket "piggy back" tuning device)... adding an aftermarket exhaust does not change the preset values...the stock o2 sensor will try to compensate but its only a small amount, or you can remove the o2 sensor and force the ECU to run in "safe mode" which tends to be richer than OEM fueling...

without changing the fuel tables to suit the exhaust you will more than likely get more HP/TQ but I dunno about actual "rideability" ... try not to look to much into dyno graphs, they are just a representation of the dyno data, some exhaust put power down low, some actually expand the TQ curve, etc...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Guest kernowjim
thanks Norcal - what I don't want is an exhaust that makes it run like shit and as Black Widow don't produce any dynographs, I can only assume they haven't done a great deal of research.  The stock exhaust is an integrated part of the motorcycle these days and just whipping it off and putting a straight through pipe in it's place rarely improves the bike!

majority of known brands are pretty close in terms of HP/TQ but not enough that one is head and shoulders above the rest... Exhaust manufacturing has come along way due to regulations,etc so it a tad bit of a head scratcher... In my opinion Black Widow exhaust look like copy cat exhausts, way too many similarities... which exhaust note makes you grin is the question...

just avoid the Ixil Exhaust- they have been proven to rob HP/TQ from the FZ-07, makes even less HP/TQ than stock exhaust ?

It is a heavenly sound, the 850 triple singing at full gallop without a cork in its throat. Even with the DB killer in place though it still has a nasty growl that videos just can show off accurately. Nearly 2 months in to having mine and I have zero complaints, other than the front tire has dulled the finish on the center header after riding in the rain once. I can't wait to get my ECU flashed to let all of the horses out of the stable, I'm curious to see what kind of gains a system like this will give.

For a comparison, me and my buddy on his Daytona 650R went head to head in a straight line. He normally outpulled me every time with the stock FJ exhaust in place, but now I'm hot on his heels with the front end of the FJ fighting to get skyward- TCS light blinking the whole time. A quickshifter it what I imagine it'll take to stay with the Daytona as he jumps slightly when shifting. I bet if we swapped bikes his smaller presence may entertain a more even prance on the two bikes, if not the FJ slightly ahead (I'm twice his size lol8.gif ).

As for rideability, I have seen ZERO drawbacks to the system in place on my stock, non flashed FJ-09. There is still gobs of torque down low and at WOT the pull is much harder than before. 

• Premium Member
It is a heavenly sound, the 850 triple singing at full gallop without a cork in its throat. Even with the DB killer in place though it still has a nasty growl that videos just can show off accurately. Nearly 2 months in to having mine and I have zero complaints, other than the front tire has dulled the finish on the center header after riding in the rain once. I can't wait to get my ECU flashed to let all of the horses out of the stable, I'm curious to see what kind of gains a system like this will give.  
For a comparison, me and my buddy on his Daytona 650R went head to head in a straight line. He normally outpulled me every time with the stock FJ exhaust in place, but now I'm hot on his heels with the front end of the FJ fighting to get skyward- TCS light blinking the whole time. A quickshifter it what I imagine it'll take to stay with the Daytona as he jumps slightly when shifting. I bet if we swapped bikes his smaller presence may entertain a more even prance on the two bikes, if not the FJ slightly ahead (I'm twice his size lol8.gif ).

As for rideability, I have seen ZERO drawbacks to the system in place on my stock, non flashed FJ-09. There is still gobs of torque down low and at WOT the pull is much harder than before. 
This entire post makes me immeasurably happy. 

jmmyf.gif
  • Thumbsup 1

A non-flashed ECU tops out at 115mph in 5th and 6th gear... ?... 4th gear at 10k rpms is approx 95mph... Just get the ECU reflashed...
What year do you have? Reason I ask is because on my 2017 just recently saw max 114mph @ 10k 4th gear. Strikes me as a little silly, a bike hitting speed limiter in 4th gear. 
Edit: just noticed in another thread you mentioned changing your front sprocket?

A non-flashed ECU tops out at 115mph in 5th and 6th gear... ?... 4th gear at 10k rpms is approx 95mph... Just get the ECU reflashed...
What year do you have? Reason I ask is because on my 2017 just recently saw 114mph @ 10k 4th gear. Strikes me as a little silly, a bike hitting speed limiter in 4th gear. 
Edit: just noticed in another thread you mentioned going down a tooth in the front?

2015...I am also -1T on the front sprocket to cure a slight lazy rpm response off the line in 2nd gear... 1st gear is pointless on this bike as its very very close in mph at shift point, why waste time shifting for that???