Black Widow - another exhaust option?

Henchman

• Supporting Member
There is still gobs of torque down low and at WOT the pull is much harder than before. 
Do you feel that there was any sacrifice of mid-range power to get the increased top end boost? Most of my riding is above 4500rpm but I rarely ride above 9k. I don’t want to lose any mid-range if I finally decide to get an exhaust. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

There is still gobs of torque down low and at WOT the pull is much harder than before. 
Do you feel that there was any sacrifice of mid-range power to get the increased top end boost? Most of my riding is above 4500rpm but I rarely ride above 9k. I don’t want to lose any mid-range if I finally decide to get an exhaust. 
In the 2 months I've been riding the system, I can firmly say that if there was any loss in performance at any point in the RPM range, my precision calibrated ass-dyno could not note the difference. 

Speaking of ass, a wild hair up it tonight prompted me to yank out the ecu for a reflash. It'll be off to FTECU tomorrow morning for flashing. This is just to smooth out the throttle map which did not change at all with the new exhaust. I figured it's outside of both the factory 1 year warranty and the extended 2 year warranty so why not...

• Supporting Member
In the 2 months I've been riding the system, I can firmly say that if there was any loss in performance at any point in the RPM range, my precision calibrated ass-dyno could not note the difference.  
Speaking of ass, a wild hair up it tonight prompted me to yank out the ecu for a reflash. It'll be off to FTECU tomorrow morning for flashing. This is just to smooth out the throttle map which did not change at all with the new exhaust. I figured it's outside of both the factory 1 year warranty and the extended 2 year warranty so why not...
That sounds great, thanks for the quick reply!  I have the standard flash for the stock exhaust. 

For the record, up until this point, I have been using the factory flash.
xpress: 
I am slightly confused by your phrase "I have been using the factory flash".  Does this mean Yamaha has a re-flash of their stock ECM?  My dealer hasn't mentioned squat to me about one and when I called another dealer ... they had never heard of one. 

So, needless to say, I am a bit perplexed.  I have a 2015 leftover. 

Thanks for any light you can shine on this.

Guest kernowjim
Lots of owners say they have no issues with the Black Widow regards mid range power but the only thing that concerns me is that on the carbon canned Akrapovic as fitted to the MT/FZ09 there is a twist to the link pipe - this has certainly been done to increase back pressure - whereas the Black Widow is straight through.  I would like to see dyno figures before spending money on an exhaust and BW don't offer any whereas Akrapovic do show dyno results.  By the way I'm talking about the carbon Akrapovic not the box titanium version or the euro 4 carbon tipped box version.

For the record, up until this point, I have been using the factory flash.
xpress: 
I am slightly confused by your phrase "I have been using the factory flash".  Does this mean Yamaha has a re-flash of their stock ECM?  My dealer hasn't mentioned squat to me about one and when I called another dealer ... they had never heard of one. 

It's the same flash that the factory installed onto the ECU when they first programmed the ECU.... Meaning, it's how the bike came from the factory. I have not had the ECU reflashed. 

xpress: 

It's the same flash that the factory installed onto the ECU when they first programmed the ECU.... Meaning, it's how the bike came from the factory. I have not had the ECU reflashed. 
XPRESS:  Thank you for the reply.  I appreciate it. 

• Supporting Member
Got my ECU back, no more popping on decel  grin.png  Will be taking the bike to work today to get a better feel for it, just took it for a quick little spin last night. 
Looking forward to hearing your impression of the exhaust/Flash combo.  This exhaust is on my radar. 

• 1 month later...
Alright alright I've been riding for several months with the system installed. Still sounds great, I have (knock on wood) yet to have any problems with anything. Flashing the ECU took away any problems I initially had with hard starting, it fires right up every single time- hot or cold.

Power delivery feels more linear, there were some rough spots in the power curve with the stock exhaust that the pipe and flashing seemed to have cured (not sure if this is because of the flash or not). I have not had the bike wide open in 6th gear yet, but I did notice nearing the top end of 4th the bike seems to feel like it's starting to struggle. Not sure if this is just due to my hilly terrain I frequent, I have only ever powered up the hills and never down. Overall, I give the system a solid 9/10.

• 1 month later...
I bought my '16 fj used with just 3300 miles on it. it came with lots of extras, including the black widow. I think the full carbon 250 (no docs, and it is snug under the right rearset), and no baffels. great sound. I had the ecu sent out and flashed. not sure just how it affected the power. however, I was speaking with a tech guy and he was pretty clear that having the ecu flashed without running it on a dyno still only gives you a generic map. if you really want to see a difference in performance you HAVE to do it with a dyno.
now I will have to see just when I can do that.

• 1 month later...