Black Widow - another exhaust option?

Henchman

I had mine flashed. then I was at another shop where they were racers and got a little lesson in flashing.

short answer is if you REALLY want the best flash for YOUR bike there is only one way to go. done by a shop with a dyno. that way it is specific for all of the little things that make your bike yours. your valves are different than mine. along with anything else.

• 1 year later...
On 2/10/2018 at 3:09 PM, Trambo said:

Pics of the installed product:

5jRzV6qxIuFvG_xeERMr7zqIeaUqBWT3AemoJ-28BLAI5sJB3MefMTUtg8lKGyE6Bgqtmd6a2KhpoGRc-TA_XHboSpQrFV6H8bGI2PwmlQ5PmwTEfZ5UGehONgi9avdG7IGcIfDqRA

f-TDvFBgQky7sQ6O97VlYeWMbquOLPy3oY1QGZQgWSuZx-vvYivutD2fzNcWuouXIVXP4qtfS9J57RjM4y8A75ie5ZWjpoXMyTNF9ZOzZRieji4thBPNPYtb9bA1R5JZesocs_lHmA

3KxJ4fExyzAu0LCx53SHp_pW81K-nw3_Ie2I4QDbLUL-IZDNViW_UcVVKNfaouSstC9GHmW06TdxK9Pn5iJHvS-f-uArdifq4_wJ0wMRkBBtE33GUPwSNlytBw_H1VWTfUAuI74IOg

Overall, I will HIGHLY recommend this system to anyone looking for a new exhaust. At less than $600 shipped to me, this thing is almost half the price of all the competition that is available. Fit & finish is great. Weld quality is excellent. Hardware included is very nice, and the MOST important thing is it SOUNDS amazing. I can't wait for spring to get this puppy on the road!

Do you know what length/type silencer you went with? I'm trying to decide if I want a 300, or a 350mm. I don't think a 400 would give me what I'm looking for. But don't want it to be obnoxious during long touring rides.

EDIT: I just read back, 300mm it looks like. I like the fitment of it... probably will get the same! Hope it isn't too loud especially for longer rides...

Edited by OnePuddleUnder
Read the whole thread
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Do you know what length/type silencer you went with? I'm trying to decide if I want a 300, or a 350mm. I don't think a 400 would give me what I'm looking for. But don't want it to be obnoxious during long touring rides.

EDIT: I just read back, 300mm it looks like. I like the fitment of it... probably will get the same! Hope it isn't too loud especially for longer rides...

It's not bad with the baffle installed. It's a good deal louder than stock, but it's not "I hate my neighbors" loud. 😜

Additionally, I ride with earplugs. Always. Tinnitus in the right ear dictates I be wiser regarding hearing protection. With earplugs the sound is very tolerable. It really only starts barking at wide open throttle, when just cruising along it's barely noticeable at all. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Even at such a low price point, it's a very nice setup and surprisingly high quality.

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2017 at 10:56 AM, Henchman said:

You would win that bet.  The pictured exhaust has the 230mm GP muffler, and it is loud (see video).  Black Widow apparently offers many different muffler lengths and diameters so one can get the look/sound one desires.  Haven't seen any dyno's yet tho...

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN85Z2469L8]

I had that exhaust on my MT07 - the 230mm GP style; blued tip and all.  It was dead sexy, and yeah, extremely loud.  Even with the baffle in, it was 83db at idle 6' from the side of the bike.  When I got on the throttle, well...   My neighbor had a 5.0 Foxbody mustang with dump pipes, and doing drag races with him he'd complain that the bike actually hurt his ears.  

It was good quality, though, really nice welds, nice construction, weathered well (I rode all winter with it!)

I would *absolutely* buy another Black Widow exhaust, but I'd get a 300mm or even 330mm one, as that 230 was insanely loud even on the twin.  

Edit: Woooah, that was a 2017 post.  lol.  Ah well.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Got mine today and installing tomorrow! Did you guys end up getting yours flashed right away or rode on it for awhile? Was considering flashing mine with vcyclnut in September when I get my seat sent off for a rebuild.

I flashed mine myself (on my MT07); I already had a "stock equipment" tune from 2WDW, so mounted the exhaust and flashed the tune for the Black Widow.  I didn't ride without the tune because despite what some people will tell you, you *do* need to adjust the fueling for major exhaust changes, like removing the catalytic converter.  Doing that and not adjusting the tune causes the bike to run leaner, which will always make the bike run worse (if it ran better, we'd tune it for that mix!), and if too bad, can result in things like melting a hole through a piston.  

Flashing the ECU is a really quick job, and AFAIK all the major flashing companies offer unlimited free reflashes if you change stuff in the future, so it's worth just doing.  

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Got mine today and installing tomorrow! Did you guys end up getting yours flashed right away or rode on it for awhile? Was considering flashing mine with vcyclnut in September when I get my seat sent off for a rebuild.

I would call him and ask.  On the FZ/MT09 forum, he seems to be THE choice for flashing and seems like a really good guy.  He can answer all of your specific questions.

3337390.png?103

store to purchase ECU flash for yamaha R1 R6 FZ09 FZ1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2018 at 9:27 PM, xpress said:

In the 2 months I've been riding the system, I can firmly say that if there was any loss in performance at any point in the RPM range, my precision calibrated ass-dyno could not note the difference. 

Speaking of ass, a wild hair up it tonight prompted me to yank out the ecu for a reflash. It'll be off to FTECU tomorrow morning for flashing. This is just to smooth out the throttle map which did not change at all with the new exhaust. I figured it's outside of both the factory 1 year warranty and the extended 2 year warranty so why not...

So there is no pertformance increase??  Forgive my ignorance, I'm an ecstatic noob!

2 hours ago, reedcusa said:

So there is no pertformance increase??  Forgive my ignorance, I'm an ecstatic noob!

Oh there definitely is... I have a friend who had his 2015 FJ 09 flashed by TWDW in person for the Black Widow, and Nels commented that he was impressed with the power increase. In fact the full system was equal to or better than some of the more expensive exhaust systems out there. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 year later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/9/2022 at 5:44 AM, Nick4171 said:

Hi Guys 

Does anyone know if an Akrapovic from a 17 plate tracer would fit a 20plate gt? I’ve got the chance of a second hand Akrapovic. 

It should, did you check the model number on Akra's site?

• 1 year later...
On 4/30/2018 at 10:00 AM, xpress said:

Alright alright I've been riding for several months with the system installed. Still sounds great, I have (knock on wood) yet to have any problems with anything. Flashing the ECU took away any problems I initially had with hard starting, it fires right up every single time- hot or cold.

Power delivery feels more linear, there were some rough spots in the power curve with the stock exhaust that the pipe and flashing seemed to have cured (not sure if this is because of the flash or not). I have not had the bike wide open in 6th gear yet, but I did notice nearing the top end of 4th the bike seems to feel like it's starting to struggle. Not sure if this is just due to my hilly terrain I frequent, I have only ever powered up the hills and never down. Overall, I give the system a solid 9/10.

I know it's been a while since you posted, but I have a '17 FJ-09 with under 2,000 miles that I'd like to breath on a bit. Do you have a reference to who flashed yours? I'm looking at a Black Widow 300mm exhaust.

• 2 months later...

For a 19 Tracer 900 GT I guess they stopped carrying a lot of the options for the "low level" design? It's only 5 different options and they are all the round can with the huge open tip. I only see the better can design on the "high level" options which I really don't like the look of.

Do all the "FZ09 Tracer" exhausts fit my North America 2019 Tracer 900 GT? There are a few different names for it so I'm confused. This is what it says on the black widow site for the FJ09 section since there are a lot more options. I don't get why they are split into separate categories on the website if it says it fits 2019s. Is my bike technically a "2019 FZ09 Tracer"?

Screenshot2023-10-30171827.png.f7b89d9f838439888ae619e98c93ba8b.png

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/fj09-fz09-de-cat-exhaust-system-300mm-oval-black-stainless-carbon-tip-silencer-14610-p.asp

Edited by canadatracer900

• Premium Member

Coincidentally, 4 days ago

ACg8ocK1rOnrXtuYfq-mKMxZT8FB21pPvx1Ew3kZMwTi6yBn=s40-p

Oct 24, 2023, 3:21 AM (6 days ago)

Hi Guys,

You currently only list either a 300mm Oval and Tri-Oval can but I know you also sold as late as 2021 400mm versions.

Can I still get the 400mm in either shape, and if so, what are their prices?

Thanks,

sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk
Oct 24, 2023, 5:31 AM (6 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gifHello,

Please confirm which one MT-09 tracer or Tracer 700 you have and the year is 2015.

Kind regards,

Dez

Black Widow Exhausts Ltd

8 High Barns Farm, Roxton, Bedfordshire MK44 3ET
Tel: +44 (0) 1234 871009

www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/blackwidowexhausts

Sent: 24 October 2023 09:21

To: sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk
Subject: 2015 Tracer Full Exhaust
cleardot.gif

ACg8ocK1rOnrXtuYfq-mKMxZT8FB21pPvx1Ew3kZMwTi6yBn=s40-p

Oct 24, 2023, 8:53 AM (6 days ago)

cleardot.gifcleardot.gif
to sales
cleardot.gif
Dez

Thanks for the quick response.

Should have said so in the first place, as it's a 15 US FJ-09, the fastest red of course.  We didn't / don't have I believe a 700 Tracer here BTW.

My ears and Tinnitus can't take too much louder than stock.  How many dB + is the 300 oval and tri-O vs oem; and then again the 400?

Also, do you have just the 400 oval and/or tri-O as a slip on and if so how mucho?

Also, which dB killer comes with the oval and tri-O and is an even quieter db-k available?

Lastly, do your cans need to be re-packed every so often; and if so, what materials are required?

In all my re-packable cans I use a Hi-Temp glass / ceramic blend and stainless steel wool directly over the perf core.

Thanks again 

cleardot.gif

AH_dcDmCXjDX43Wkz70fAt87-hYabIlCZ1pMsI6gPol2uE0NUkj8uoG4-IaKNz_q-hM6=s40-p

sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk

Oct 24, 2023, 10:55 AM (6 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
cleardot.gif
Hi,

Thanks for your email,

We only offer the sizes shown on our website, this is to ensure the muffler does not ground out when cornering.

I would choose a longer 300mm oval or tri-oval if you want to keep the noise down.

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/fj09--fz09-640-c.asp

We also make an extra DB killer, BWDB6 it is an optional extra and fits in the entrance of the muffler, allowing you to use two mufflers and bring the sound down further.

https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/db-killer-baffle-bwdb6-45844-p.asp

Please let me know if I can help further.

Kindest regards

Lincoln 

Black Widow Exhausts Ltd
8 High Barns Farm, Roxton, Bedfordshire MK44 3ET
Tel: +44 (0) 1234 871009

www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/blackwidowexhausts

• Thumbsup 1