Henchman

Black Widow - another exhaust option?

I had mine flashed. then I was at another shop where they were racers and got a little lesson in flashing.

short answer is if you REALLY want the best flash for YOUR bike there is only one way to go. done by a shop with a dyno. that way it is specific for all of the little things that make your bike yours. your valves are different than mine. along with anything else.

Posted (edited)
On 2/10/2018 at 3:09 PM, Trambo said:

Pics of the installed product:

5jRzV6qxIuFvG_xeERMr7zqIeaUqBWT3AemoJ-28BLAI5sJB3MefMTUtg8lKGyE6Bgqtmd6a2KhpoGRc-TA_XHboSpQrFV6H8bGI2PwmlQ5PmwTEfZ5UGehONgi9avdG7IGcIfDqRA

f-TDvFBgQky7sQ6O97VlYeWMbquOLPy3oY1QGZQgWSuZx-vvYivutD2fzNcWuouXIVXP4qtfS9J57RjM4y8A75ie5ZWjpoXMyTNF9ZOzZRieji4thBPNPYtb9bA1R5JZesocs_lHmA

3KxJ4fExyzAu0LCx53SHp_pW81K-nw3_Ie2I4QDbLUL-IZDNViW_UcVVKNfaouSstC9GHmW06TdxK9Pn5iJHvS-f-uArdifq4_wJ0wMRkBBtE33GUPwSNlytBw_H1VWTfUAuI74IOg

Overall, I will HIGHLY recommend this system to anyone looking for a new exhaust. At less than $600 shipped to me, this thing is almost half the price of all the competition that is available. Fit & finish is great. Weld quality is excellent. Hardware included is very nice, and the MOST important thing is it SOUNDS amazing. I can't wait for spring to get this puppy on the road!

Do you know what length/type silencer you went with? I'm trying to decide if I want a 300, or a 350mm. I don't think a 400 would give me what I'm looking for. But don't want it to be obnoxious during long touring rides.

EDIT: I just read back, 300mm it looks like. I like the fitment of it... probably will get the same! Hope it isn't too loud especially for longer rides...

Edited by OnePuddleUnder
Read the whole thread
  • Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Do you know what length/type silencer you went with? I'm trying to decide if I want a 300, or a 350mm. I don't think a 400 would give me what I'm looking for. But don't want it to be obnoxious during long touring rides.

EDIT: I just read back, 300mm it looks like. I like the fitment of it... probably will get the same! Hope it isn't too loud especially for longer rides...

It's not bad with the baffle installed. It's a good deal louder than stock, but it's not "I hate my neighbors" loud. 😜

Additionally, I ride with earplugs. Always. Tinnitus in the right ear dictates I be wiser regarding hearing protection. With earplugs the sound is very tolerable. It really only starts barking at wide open throttle, when just cruising along it's barely noticeable at all. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Even at such a low price point, it's a very nice setup and surprisingly high quality.

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Posted (edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 10:56 AM, Henchman said:

You would win that bet.  The pictured exhaust has the 230mm GP muffler, and it is loud (see video).  Black Widow apparently offers many different muffler lengths and diameters so one can get the look/sound one desires.  Haven't seen any dyno's yet tho...

[video src=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN85Z2469L8]

I had that exhaust on my MT07 - the 230mm GP style; blued tip and all.  It was dead sexy, and yeah, extremely loud.  Even with the baffle in, it was 83db at idle 6' from the side of the bike.  When I got on the throttle, well...   My neighbor had a 5.0 Foxbody mustang with dump pipes, and doing drag races with him he'd complain that the bike actually hurt his ears.  

It was good quality, though, really nice welds, nice construction, weathered well (I rode all winter with it!)

I would *absolutely* buy another Black Widow exhaust, but I'd get a 300mm or even 330mm one, as that 230 was insanely loud even on the twin.  

Edit: Woooah, that was a 2017 post.  lol.  Ah well.  

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

Got mine today and installing tomorrow! Did you guys end up getting yours flashed right away or rode on it for awhile? Was considering flashing mine with vcyclnut in September when I get my seat sent off for a rebuild.

1 hour ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

Got mine today and installing tomorrow! Did you guys end up getting yours flashed right away or rode on it for awhile? Was considering flashing mine with vcyclnut in September when I get my seat sent off for a rebuild.

I flashed mine myself (on my MT07); I already had a "stock equipment" tune from 2WDW, so mounted the exhaust and flashed the tune for the Black Widow.  I didn't ride without the tune because despite what some people will tell you, you *do* need to adjust the fueling for major exhaust changes, like removing the catalytic converter.  Doing that and not adjusting the tune causes the bike to run leaner, which will always make the bike run worse (if it ran better, we'd tune it for that mix!), and if too bad, can result in things like melting a hole through a piston.  

Flashing the ECU is a really quick job, and AFAIK all the major flashing companies offer unlimited free reflashes if you change stuff in the future, so it's worth just doing.  

1 hour ago, OnePuddleUnder said:

I would call him and ask.  On the FZ/MT09 forum, he seems to be THE choice for flashing and seems like a really good guy.  He can answer all of your specific questions.

3337390.png?103

store to purchase ECU flash for yamaha R1 R6 FZ09 FZ1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***