I got a ticket on the dragon

fjmax

• Premium Member
There are so many other great roads all around western NC and eastern TN. I prefer them as they are less frequented by other riders, and since the police are preoccupied with Dragon antics, they're less likely to be in those other areas.

Now, I only go to the Dragon if I am riding with someone who hasn't been there yet. Got to do it to get the sticker.

$300.00 aint painless man that hurts!!!! lol But still better than points and insurance hike.

They got me at 57 in a 30 zone right at the western exit of the Dragon near the lake.  He was sitting in the parking area on the right. 
Cop told me to call an 800 number to take care of it when I got home.

I did. $300 fine, AAA driving class, and ticket wiped from my record. TN never notified my ins company or home state. Painless!

I think they ticket in Blount County mainly for revenue, not to be mean!

cb 

2016 FJ09

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got a ticket doing 110 in a 55 a few years back.  The cop said "I know you were going a hell of lot faster then that but I got you at 110".

Besides being a really expensive speeding ticket, it didn't seem to affect my insurance or anything.   He did say i was kicked out of Wisconsin for two weeks.  I don't think he can actually do that.  I had a softball game the next day so I commuted on my Suzuki DR250 to keep under the radar.

This bridge linking MN to WI is like my personal autobahn.

k09-02-17-49.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Sorry for the "performance award".  🙁

I go to the area usually twice a year.  Stopped doing the Dragon years ago because of the shear number of bad riders and cops.  There are so many great alternatives to the Dragon, and knowing that the cops are busy there, I can ride most of them without worrying about being ticketed or having to deal with incompetent riders.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

@koth442 - I have a good friend that moved to Chattanooga a couple of years ago, and absolutely loves it.   Great riding all over the area, nice people, and the winter isn’t too terribly brutal.  

Good luck with the interview! 

• Thumbsup 2

On 2/3/2019 at 10:34 AM, texscottyd said:

@koth442 - I have a good friend that moved to Chattanooga a couple of years ago, and absolutely loves it.   Great riding all over the area, nice people, and the winter isn’t too terribly brutal.  

Good luck with the interview! 

Great to hear and thanks!!

'15 FJ09

• 4 months later...

I rode "Deal's Gap" back in the mid to late 80s when I had a 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600R.  I used to ride up there with my brother and his buddies who I could never keep up with.  Moved out of the area in 1991 and back in 2014.  I didn't realize how great we had it in East TN.

I used to bash "The Dragon" also but it is famous for a reason and I have grown to appreciate it much more since I moved back.  There are a LOT of tourists on the road and that can make it dangerous but the road itself is in very good condition with very little to no debris (gravel, sand, etc) on it and only two access roads the entire length of it so you don't have to worry about cars pulling out on you.  Lots of good roads in the area but all of them have a lot of crap on the road and you always have to look for cars pulling out in hard to see places.

I ride 129 at least once every other week and do it during the week when there is little to no traffic on it.  

It's a great road and I'd recommend people try it at off times to really appreciate it.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Been going down to the area a few times each year since 2004.  Usually pass through the Tail Of The Dragon a couple times while I am in the area.  Received my one and only speeding ticket there several years ago.  Mailed in my 220 dollars and that was the end of it.  No reporting to my home state of Kentucky and no points.

It's a fun and challenging road.  Usually you can stop at either end and there will be plenty of other riders who can tell you if there are any cops on the road.  Go during the middle of the week and it is much better, especially in the morning or early evening.  Make a pass through and then from the NC end there are literally hundreds of miles of superb roads to be sampled.  Cherohala Skyway is not to be missed.

• Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• 3 months later...

Have you heard of this?  :D

image.png.9ada8c96cb8c6430021a8e7a1a621b0e.png

I don't know if these are legal in that part of the country, but it will help give you some warning.  With instant on radar, you will pick up the warning from when the LEO turns on the radar to get someone else.  It ought to be enough warning to keep you from getting your own performance award.

There are a lot of good roads though besides that particular one.  The road up to Lolo Pass is over 100 miles of twists and turns.

Chris

Edited by daboo
  • Thumbsup 1