Dragon

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Just got back from 9 days at the Dragon.  Going back this weekend, mainly to pick up the bikes.  Will be back at the end of August.  Love it up there.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I, too just got back from Deal's Gap. Put a lot of laps on the Tail this year. Great riding, as always.

2555126.jpg

0603190740_HDR.jpg

0604191435_HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 5
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Dragon in west Texas that most people have never heard about.  Here is a picture I took just before heading into the first curve.  I think it is a decreasing radius curve.  20190518_103457sm.thumb.jpg.38671b8663c5c53a0c5c8c406bf9d7ba.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 6

• Supporting Member
41 minutes ago, Coop said:

We have a Dragon in west Texas that most people have never heard about.  Here is a picture I took just before heading into the first curve.  I think it is a decreasing radius curve.  20190518_103457sm.thumb.jpg.38671b8663c5c53a0c5c8c406bf9d7ba.jpg

Holy crap, Coop!!  Hang on tight . . . !!

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Coop said:

The most impressive curve out there is the curvature of the earth.   I remember driving into San Angelo from the east, and watching the skyline gradually rise over the horizon at a 45 degree angle.  

There’s a whole lotta not much out that way!   :) 

11 hours ago, texscottyd said:

The most impressive curve out there is the curvature of the earth.   I remember driving into San Angelo from the east, and watching the skyline gradually rise over the horizon at a 45 degree angle.  

There’s a whole lotta not much out that way!   :) 

You stopped too soon.  San Angelo is a nice town, but it's more central Texas in spite of those people along I-35 saying Waco is central Texas.  Come on up to the Llano and enjoy the canyons.  I hope you enjoyed Fuentes Café while you were there.  Mejor Que Nada was okay some times, but not all the time.  I think it's  gone now.

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/30/2017 at 8:00 PM, jojosz said:

Tail of the Dragon

I live in Knoxville again (after 23 years in Texas) and used to ride "The Dragon" back when not many people knew about it and it was still "Deal's Gap"

Me and some buddies ride up there regularly and usually on weekdays when it's not full of tourists (which are fine but frequently cross the yellow line). 

I loved riding my FZ-07 up there and look forward to picking up my FJ-09 in a few days and getting it up there.

• Thumbsup 2

On 6/21/2019 at 9:24 AM, Coop said:

You stopped too soon.  San Angelo is a nice town, but it's more central Texas in spite of those people along I-35 saying Waco is central Texas.  Come on up to the Llano and enjoy the canyons.  I hope you enjoyed Fuentes Café while you were there.  Mejor Que Nada was okay some times, but not all the time.  I think it's  gone now.

Llano Estacado or Llano?  Never rode much in west Texas (except 287 down from Colorado).  My daughter goes to Llano to a ranch on her mom's side of the family.  I liked riding the Hill County but it was a long way to get there from Fort Worth for a weekend trip.  My biggest bike regret in Texas is never riding over to Big Bend in the 23 years I lived there.

10 minutes ago, wmailhos said:

Llano Estacado or Llano?  Never rode much in west Texas (except 287 down from Colorado).  My daughter goes to Llano to a ranch on her mom's side of the family.  I liked riding the Hill County but it was a long way to get there from Fort Worth for a weekend trip.  My biggest bike regret in Texas is never riding over to Big Bend in the 23 years I lived there.

Llano is hill country.  No canyons there.  If you ever get down to west Texas, ride the river road to Big Bend and 118 toward McDonald Observatory from Ft Davis is fun too. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, wmailhos said:

I live in Knoxville again (after 23 years in Texas) and used to ride "The Dragon" back when not many people knew about it and it was still "Deal's Gap"

Me and some buddies ride up there regularly and usually on weekdays when it's not full of tourists (which are fine but frequently cross the yellow line). 

I loved riding my FZ-07 up there and look forward to picking up my FJ-09 in a few days and getting it up there.

Have you riden the Rats Tail in Arkansas?  Danged I can give you road numbers.  Old and forgetful.

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Llano is hill country.  No canyons there.  If you ever get down to west Texas, ride the river road to Big Bend and 118 toward McDonald Observatory from Ft Davis is fun too. 

Never did a lot of riding out in West Texas.  Rode up to Colorado a few times on 287 through Amarillo (stopped and camped at Palo Duro one trip).

Closest I've been to Fort Davis was riding back from Juarez to Fort Worth on I-10.

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Have you riden the Rats Tail in Arkansas?  Danged I can give you road numbers.  Old and forgetful.

I don't know that one.  I've ridden the "Pig Trail" a lot.  We used to ride over the Talimena Parkway from eastern OK to Mena, AR quite a bit to Hot Springs and would then ride up north.

One of the most scenic spots in the state, the Pig Trail was recently named...