KOSO Heated Grips as an Option (AM111030)

ULEWZ

• Premium Member
I saw on the FJR forum that these grips work great and have the heat controller built into the side of the grip. For $110 I think I will take a chance and power them from the factory wiring. Way cheaper than the stock heated grips by about $130.

Heated Grips link

Do a google search for 06031-0152 KOSO and you will find one Yamaha dealer selling them for $110. Maybe you can find them cheaper?

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I saw on the FJR forum that these grips work great and have the heat controller built into the side of the grip. For $110 I think I will take a chance and power them from the factory wiring. Way cheaper than the stock heated grips by about $130. 
Heated Grips link

Do a google search for 06031-0152 KOSO and you will find one Yamaha dealer selling them for $110. Maybe you can find them cheaper?

Wow, great find! These will probably be perfect. Good price, too!

Will be interested in how they work. The Yamaha right throttle grip came installed on a new tube of a special length and also cast cable and wire covers to hide the electrical wire coming from the grips, thus allowing the throttle wires to loop inside the housing. Well thought out, but yes cost more. After installing, the controls use the menu button and the up down button from the dash to control the three levels of heat. Works great, and I thought it was worth the extra expense. I paid $228 for the grips after 20% off.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Will be interested in how they work. The Yamaha right throttle grip came installed on a new tube of a special length and also cast cable and wire covers to hide the electrical wire coming from the grips, thus allowing the throttle wires to loop inside the housing. Well thought out, but yes cost more. After installing, the controls use the menu button and the up down button from the dash to control the three levels of heat. Works great, and I thought it was worth the extra expense. I paid $228 for the grips after 20% off.
This is a good price for the Yamaha branded heaters. Can you tell I like to tinker? See all my do-it-yourself threads (usually on the cheap, not because I am, but because I can). (rofl)

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I really like the integrated Yamaha grips as well. I have used them extensively on my Super Tenere and when I picked up the FJ I did not even consider options as I like them so much. It is real nice to be able to adjust the 3 different heat settings with your choose of 10 different levels. I found 3,7, and 10 worked for me.  
Some aftermarket heated grips are wired to the battery and if you don't turn them off you will run into battery problems. If you are looking for a switched power source to wire them into you will spend more time and effort than the simple plug and play of the factory grips. 

I am for saving money when it makes sense but in this case I think anyone looking at the options should strongly consider the Yamaha grips. They will not be disappointed

Yamaha of Cucamonga has very good pricing and the couple of items I have purchased have been ship very quickly. They are at https://www.yocracing.com

I've installed one of those heated grips on my scooter and worked fine. I plugged them to the 12v and not directly to the battery, so it works only when the bike is working.
Be careful where you attach the heated grips wire, as these draw around 30 watts or 2.5 Amps.  You need to have these on a single circuit with it's own fuse.   If you blow another fuse associated with the running of the bike, you could have issues.  Like not lights, no cooling fan, etc.

• Premium Member
I've installed one of those heated grips on my scooter and worked fine. I plugged them to the 12v and not directly to the battery, so it works only when the bike is working.
Be careful where you attach the heated grips wire, as these draw around 30 watts or 2.5 Amps.  You need to have these on a single circuit with it's own fuse.   If you blow another fuse associated with the running of the bike, you could have issues.  Like not lights, no cooling fan, etc.
Of course. So what is the rating of the OEM grips? Tapping into the stock grip wiring should be sufficient unless I see otherwise. I am not afraid to splice wires and do it all the time. I appreciate the caution, but I need to know the stock rating first.  
Bikes:
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Redfjniner how much time to install oem heated grip on the fj-09 approximately? thanks
Took me about 45 minutes
I'm not as fast as FigJam, it took me longer, but I tend to putter around cleaning and looking at the parts etc..   It took me 3.5 hours but I made a mistake and had to correct it.  I used Loctite Super Glue gel, and thought I had enough time to stop and look to see if I got the grip on far enough.  Oops.  It wouldn't move so I ended up having to jam a screw driver down between the grip and the handlebar to loosen it to remove it.  It took awhile to find where it was glued, like for permanent, to drive the screw driver down and separate the grip from the handlebars.  Then I had to scrape off the rubber glued to the handlebar and clean it with a solvent.  Worried that I might have damaged it, but no problem it works just fine.   I was slow on putting the throttle side back on with the new wire housing.  So, I'm slow, it usually takes me twice as long as the manuals says, but I clean stuff you normally can't get to.  Removing the right side panel was my first time and I wanted to make sure I didn' t break something so I took my time.  Also, the directions showed that there were two wires to connect to, but they weren't there.   I had to fish around looking for them and with my skinny fingers I wiggle them down and out far enough to plug the wires in.  Can't believe how long it took to do just that. I also removed the handguards and installed my muffs. The directions said for a mechanic to allow .8 hours.  If you do this for a living and have done it before on a FJ, okay, but for the first time you should allow 2-2.5 hours without any problems.  I should have taken pictures, but then it would have taken 4 hours.

Took me about 45 minutes
I'm not as fast as FigJam, it took me longer, but I tend to putter around cleaning and looking at the parts etc..   It took me 3.5 hours but I made a mistake and had to correct it.  I used Loctite Super Glue gel, and thought I had enough time to stop and look to see if I got the grip on far enough.  Oops.  It wouldn't move so I ended up having to jam a screw driver down between the grip and the handlebar to loosen it to remove it.  It took awhile to find where it was glued, like for permanent, to drive the screw driver down and separate the grip from the handlebars.  Then I had to scrape off the rubber glued to the handlebar and clean it with a solvent.  Worried that I might have damaged it, but no problem it works just fine.   I was slow on putting the throttle side back on with the new wire housing.  So, I'm slow, it usually takes me twice as long as the manuals says, but I clean stuff you normally can't get to.  Removing the right side panel was my first time and I wanted to make sure I didn' t break something so I took my time.  Also, the directions showed that there were two wires to connect to, but they weren't there.   I had to fish around looking for them and with my skinny fingers I wiggle them down and out far enough to plug the wires in.  Can't believe how long it took to do just that. I also removed the handguards and installed my muffs. The directions said for a mechanic to allow .8 hours.  If you do this for a living and have done it before on a FJ, okay, but for the first time you should allow 2-2.5 hours without any problems.  I should have taken pictures, but then it would have taken 4 hours.
Almost did the same thing, but when I picked up the grips I saw a $6 package of Honda grip glue. Figured, if I'm splurging on the factory grips, what's another 6 bucks. The nice thing about using dedicated grip glue is that it acts as a lubricant at first, so you can get the grip on and positioned without it sticking right away. Once it's dry though, it ain't coming off. 

Archived