Yamaha recommends not to use hard sidbags & topcase together

I put about 18-20k miles every year on my primary bike in long distance touring (I have another bike for daily driver and weekend riding).
On long trips, I am used to having side bags and top case together, along with some soft luggage on the passenger seat (tent, camping gear etc).

Yamaha has a warning listed on their website for FJ-09 - "Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle."
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/hard-saddlebags?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|235&dealernumber=

It makes me wonder, if this is due to one of the following reasons:
1. The subframe is not designed for the extra load (if that's the case, then how about carrying a passenger)
2. Aerodynamics
3. The front of the bike is too light and it may be hard to keep it down with fully loaded side+top bags.

What do you people think? Has anyone got a clarification from Yamaha?

Yamaha has a warning listed on their website for FJ-09 - "Hard Saddlebags and Top Case not recommended to be used together due to increased risk of overloading the motorcycle." https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/hard-saddlebags?b=Street+Motorcycle&d=28|28&f=2015|235&dealernumber=

Look at all the top cases listed on the Yamaha site for the FJR. Yamaha says the same thing for the FJR: not recommended to combine top case with side cases.
How much do you weight (in full riding gear), and how much would your loaded side cases + loaded top case + rear-seat-camping-gear all weigh together? FJ-09 carrying capacity is 397 lb.

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

I have never owned a Yamaha touring bike, so pardon my ignorance...but I can't understand why Yamaha would make this recommendation for a "sport touring" bike that is designed to carry luggage with (or without) passenger.

I weigh <180lbs in full gear. The luggage total will be another 70-90lbs (including the weight of the cases). That's well under the carrying capacity, but I am still trying to find the rationale behind Yamaha's recommendation. I don't wanna be in a situation where there is a problem with the rear subframe and Yamaha doesn't cover it under warranty because I "did something against their recommendation".

You will not get any clarification from Yamaha. Yamaha is covering their butts. Lets say you take off after loading up your topcase with as many beers and ice as you can, and also do the same with you side cases. (all overloaded), put your 220 lbs passenger on the back and you weigh 180. Then you don't adjust the suspension for the added weight, you don't check the tire pressure and increase for the added weight, and you don't notice that the rear seal on the shock is gone and the oil has all drained out. You are late for the party and twist the throttle to around 115 in a pass of 4 vehicles on the way. Meanwhile, the bike, due to your lack of concern for air, overloading, etc. starts to go crazy when you are decelerating to squeeze back into traffic which is slowing to 35. You end up all over the road and what Yamaha to pay the bill because they shouldn't have ever sold such a inadequate bike. It's a law suit that should have never happened, but you know how people what to blame someone else.
Use your common sense. Don't overload, don't speed, maintain your bike and you won't have any problems. I have been over 110 with the FJR side bags, no top box, but a 30Liter soft bag on the rear rack. No problem, very sound. Use you common sense, test the bike with empty and full bags before venturing out on a long trip. Work with what you have, Maybe the top case and side bags is too much at over 85mph. Test it, find out. What works for some may not work for you. Nobody can give you a straight up answer for this, you will just have to experiment. Good luck, and hope you come out finding this is a great little 500lb touring machine. Here is mine:

bFoZ0SJ.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Thanks redfjniner. I have owned a BMW F800GS and currently have a Multistrada. Both bikes, had hard side bags and hard top case. I have done plenty of long distance trips with them with no stability issues. I very well understand that luggage (empty or not) and passenger changes the handling of the bike dramatically. I have asked my dealer the same question and will wait for their response.

btw, I am curious to know what brand/model of side cases and soft bag are on your bike? The Yamaha OEM sidecases are all black and your color matched cases look pretty nice.

Do the FJR sidecases attach to the FJ-09 luggage rack/lower mount or do they require any modification?
The mounting half of the bags are the same, so the FJR bags which have a different lid, mount to the FJ mounting brackets, top and lower, perfectly.  They are actually tighter than on my FJR.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I have never owned a Yamaha touring bike, so pardon my ignorance...but I can't understand why Yamaha would make this recommendation for a "sport touring" bike that is designed to carry luggage with (or without) passenger. 
I weigh <180lbs in full gear. The luggage total will be another 70-90lbs (including the weight of the cases). That's well under the carrying capacity, but I am still trying to find the rationale behind Yamaha's recommendation. I don't wanna be in a situation where there is a problem with the rear subframe and Yamaha doesn't cover it under warranty because I "did something against their recommendation".
I think it's because of concern of exceeding the payload capacity INCLUDING a passenger. Running both top and side boxes without a passenger shouldn't be an issue. 

Lets say you take off after loading up your topcase with as many beers and ice as you can, and also do the same with you side cases. (all overloaded), put your 220 lbs passenger on the back and you weigh 180. Then you don't adjust the suspension for the added weight, you don't check the tire pressure and increase for the added weight, and you don't notice that the rear seal on the shock is gone and the oil has all drained out. You are late for the party and twist the throttle to around 115 in a pass of 4 vehicles on the way. Meanwhile, the bike, due to your lack of concern for air, overloading, etc. starts to go crazy when you are decelerating to squeeze back into traffic which is slowing to 35. You end up all over the road and what Yamaha to pay the bill because they shouldn't have ever sold such a inadequate bike. . 

That could happen! :) 

Thanks all! 
So based on what I am reading on the Yamaha accessories page, I would need to order the following for the FJR side cases:
1. Lower Mounts for FJ-09
2. Lock Set

The bike doesn't come with a rack for the top case, so can I just add the [/url]FJR top case with the FJ-09 rack or do I need to buy anything extra?

These are the part numbers for what you need for  side and top boxes 
2PP-F84H0-V0-00 side bag

5P5-28406-01-00 3 key set

2PP-F84G0-V0-00 hard saddlebag mount

2PP-248D0-00-00 rear carrier

34B-F84A8-10-00 50l top case

Archived