Anyone running Nitron shocks?

joeszup

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Anyone else have any input on a comparison or opinion of these two shocks?

I have not used either shock but the R3 has high and low speed compression damping and ride height adjustment.  Either shock will be a SUPERB upgrade from stock.  Everything I have read about the R3 lists it as a 'race' shock for the most demanding riders.  The cheaper R2 might be more reasonable for aggressive street use.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Matt (forks by matt) says the Nitron is a better unit for the cost compared to the Ohlins... here's what I'm weighing. Nitron NTR1 $625, YA535 $825, NTR2 $950, NTR2 with remote preload $1175.

I'm leaning toward the YA535, due to independent rebound and compression adjustment, with remote preload. NTR1 has rebound and compression combined, NTR2 has them independent but costs extra to add remote preload.. I'm unsure if remote preload can be added to the NTR1.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Matt (forks by matt) says the Nitron is a better unit for the cost compared to the Ohlins... here's what I'm weighing. Nitron NTR1 $625, YA535 $825, NTR2 $950, NTR2 with remote preload $1175.

I'm leaning toward the YA535, due to independent rebound and compression adjustment, with remote preload. NTR1 has rebound and compression combined, NTR2 has them independent but costs extra to add remote preload.. I'm unsure if remote preload can be added to the NTR1.

The important thing when getting a shock built is honest communication with the builder so they know exactly how you will be using it and can spring and valve it accordingly.  Buying a prebuilt off the shelf shock like through Revzilla will definitely be an improvement but will have a generic (although probably very good) shim stack vs an 'exact' shim stack tailored to your needs.

For the price, the Ohlins sounds like a great deal.  My brother has that same shock on his Honda 919 and it is awesome!  Do you already have fork cartridges?

3 hours ago, betoney said:

The important thing when getting a shock built is honest communication with the builder so they know exactly how you will be using it and can spring and valve it accordingly.  Buying a prebuilt off the shelf shock like through Revzilla will definitely be an improvement but will have a generic (although probably very good) shim stack vs an 'exact' shim stack tailored to your needs.

For the price, the Ohlins sounds like a great deal.  My brother has that same shock on his Honda 919 and it is awesome!  Do you already have fork cartridges?

I currently have some intermediate cartridges from Matt but plan on getting some Ohlins NIX-30 cartridges. 

• Like 1

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@duhs10 The product is excellent, the importer dealer who is just one here is not so didn't want any further direct or indirect relationship, or him gaining from me since it's  or at least was a very well known bike here from the 1st generation (2015-2017). 

His first install on my fgk237 cartridges was so bad , I was saved from a possible accident by pure lack, since the one cartridge leg was installed very badly and was loose internally, also the spacers were installed opposite. 

Me as an aggressive street rider and an occasional track enthusiast, this was really dangerous and unacceptable and didn't want to have any further relation (direct on indirect with this person/merchand/dealer/service repair center).

The product is very good,  I could say the build quality at least in the outside is far better than ohlins, with the plastic black ends or adjusters, but ohlins is a company with a lot of dealers and service center and choices.  So I sold the ntr 3 and got the ohlins. 

Edited by kemmotar
  • Thumbsup 2

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, duhs10 said:

I'm unsure if remote preload can be added to the NTR1.

Yes it can, but best (and cheaper) to do this at build time. I recall it was a ~$200USD premium to add at build time.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
10 hours ago, duhs10 said:

I currently have some intermediate cartridges from Matt but plan on getting some Ohlins NIX-30 cartridges. 

I have Matts 'advanced' option , both fork legs have compression and rebound pistons and rebound adjustment caps and the left leg has a compression screw at the base.  As great as Matts cartridges are, I have often wondered how different aftermarket cartridges would feel.  I have ridden a buddys FJ with the Stoltec cartridge kit and while they are a very noticeable upgrade, Matts forks are superior.  If the Ohlins cartridges are another step up from Matts forks then I would be tempted.  Please keep us updated with a comparison.

Since you are in Georgia, have you considered Traxxion Dynamics?  Their AK-20 fork cartridges are highly regarded as some of the best available.  I ordered my Penske shock from them and it is AMAZING.

Probably should have done Matt's advanced option from the beginning.

I've thought about the AK-20... but like the idea of the larger diameter pistons in the Ohlins NIX-30.

I might give Traxxion a call. Good suggestion.

• Like 1

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Since you are fond of 30mm internal diameter, check also bitubo ech229 pressurized cartridges.  They say are superior of ohlins nix30.

For ohlins nix30  keep in mind that the newer model fks504 is inferior than fgk237 in some internal parts and the country of manufacturing,  at least this info we have from local ohlins and yamaha.

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

4 hours ago, kemmotar said:

Since you are fond of 30mm internal diameter, check also bitubo ech229 pressurized cartridges.  They say are superior of ohlins nix30.

For ohlins nix30  keep in mind that the newer model fks504 is inferior than fgk237 in some internal parts and the country of manufacturing,  at least this info we have from local ohlins and yamaha.

Thanks for your input...

The FGK 237 is discontinued unfortunately... I can't seem to find the bitubo ech229's you speak of.

EDIT: found the bitubo's. Pretty good price.... no service locations in the US that I could see.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 5/16/2020 at 1:55 AM, duhs10 said:

Whilst not relevant at the moment, Nitron do have offers at end of year, December, on the remote preload with shock. As a previous post, the NTR1 is great for the road, but the NTR 2 is better if your going to track day it regularly. If your Mr serious on the track, NTR3. Unless your carrying a passenger randomly, you don't need the external preload. Adding the preload after you buy a shock is an expensive way of going about it. Nitron customer service in U.K. was excellent for advice. I'd always been an Ohlins fanboy, but think ? Nitron s build quality is better for the buck, but that's just my thought, not fact. . Let's be honest, a spring out of my chair is better than stock. The better rear shock on its own will not make the front worse as such, since they are inbalanced to begin with and the forks are meh, but the rear will be so much nicer, you'll notice the front even more. However that will still improve the ride no end. If money's no object, Matt is right, get it all sorted. If not, shock first, forks later. 

IMG_5046.JPG

YAMAHA SUSPENSION R&D DEPARTMENT 

Edited by Tripletrouble
  • Haha 1