How do you clean matte paint?

I own a matte grey one and it's the first matte anything i've owned. I'd imagine there are specific things we can and can't use on it. All I'm going on is the warning in the owners manual. How do you clean it?

I asked this question at the dealer when I bought my FJ-09, and the owner brought out a can of Yamaha spray cleaner (similar to Honda Polish, I would guess), and sprayed the tank with it. It removed the fingerprints and didn't seem to have any adverse affects to the finish.

I plan to keep a can of this Yamaha polish or Honda polish and a rag in the trunk.

I own a matte grey one and it's the first matte anything i've owned. I'd imagine there are specific things we can and can't use on it. All I'm going on is the warning in the owners manual. How do you clean it?

Just use any quality car wash that doesn't have any wax in it. You don't want things that promote a shine, since its matte, and no abrasives. I find it easier to clean, because it's not shiny so there aren't ant swirl marks.

I use Redant matt finish cleaner and protector it  wont gloss  the surface  

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/red-ant-matt-finish-bicycle-frame-protector-250ml/

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
I use Redant matt finish cleaner and protector it  wont gloss  the surface  

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/red-ant-matt-finish-bicycle-frame-protector-250ml/

I tried the Redant today, my bike was parked under a tree that dripped sap on it. It wiped of easily and the product seems to me to work really well. Good stuff!

• Premium Member
I tried the Redant today, my bike was parked under a tree that dripped sap on it. It wiped of easily and the product seems to me to work really well. Good stuff!

Hah! I noticed that too. It was at the B&B I Guess.

Firstly I thought I had been sprayed with oil then noticed it was sticky. Bloody tree must've been covered in aphids spraying honeydew everywhere.

Largely gone now after riding to work in rain on Friday.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Thread revival... I'm testing out Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer. This was specifically recommended for matte paint care. I'll let you know how well it works.

autogeek_2270_117835879
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

A racer friend of mine owns Alco Cleaners. Works great on street bikes and dirt bikes. Hose of bike, spray on cleaner, hose off cleaner. Done!

e1f18d68857967487b229c2e70b716b2?AccessKeyId=51FF3CC60EE705E267D3&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Don't forget to scroll down the products page to see Paige, the ATV racing model posters.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Premium Member
Seems the Meguiars Ultimate Quik Detailer works well on the matte paint. I used Honda spray cleaner & polish on all the non-painted stuff. The Meguiars cleaned off the bug guts, tree sap, bird shit and dirt pretty well. Matte paint is still matte. :P

Supposedly it adds some water resistant finish to the paint. Next rain will tell.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• 2 months later...
Thread bump. I didn't read the owners manual where it says wax shouldn't be used on matte paint.

However, I've been using Meguiars Quick Wax on my matte gray FJ09 and I haven't seen it shining up after applying, which is good. You just spray on and wipe off. It contains very little wax, and is meant for in between big wax jobs.

It cleans off bugs and other stuff nicely.

I'll probably use this bottle for my car instead and get the regular Quik Detailer for the FJ09 instead.

Archived