2017 FJ-09 How To Reset Check Engine Light

dbeau

On 9/14/2018 at 3:16 AM, cuff said:

Just got the cable and connectors, code reader coming this week. Figured I would hook up the cables as listed here and at Corsa Technic according to the color codes listed. Both pictures here and at Corsa for the cable I received are not even close to those labeled. A quick test with my multi meter found the proper colors associated with the hook up chart. If you do get this cable you may want to check the port/color chart and test. Just some info.

Same here, I popped the main fuse when I accidentally touched the battery + to the frame w/wrench.  So I orded the above and the pin-out is good but you just have to confirm which colored wires map to the pins.   After that, easy peazy to read/clear the codes.    so, works for a 2019 Tracer.

If anyone in the DFW area needs their codes read or cleared let me know and we can meet up.  I also have a no-mar tire changer and have changed over 200 tires for folks from diff forums over the years.  Saves a few bucks here and there.

• Thumbsup 1

7 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

@mellowI've been thinking about getting my own tire changer... which one do you have? Or would you recommend? 

I have the classic.  I have their balancer as well and the 'yellow thingy' which helps.  I also have some other brand tire spoons because some tires have some stiff sidewalls and it's just easier to use spoons for that last 30%.

Just be careful, once you get one, you get a lot of friends all of a sudden lol 

I have it floor-mounted now which I prefer but also have the trailer hitch mount.

15794.jpg

Edited by mellow

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, own a 2016 Yamaha FJ09. Through the 069 code from running through the gears on the center stand after installing a new quick shifter. I heard it should clear after driving a bit . But it freezing here. Bike is in my basement now.  I bought a 4 pin connector on e-bay. Also a Autel  MS300 scan tool. Figured I would try it.  The tool goes through the start up process. But I keep getting a LINK ERROR. Says in the book there is a problem communicating with the vehicle. The pinout on the connector matches as described in this link. Any Thoughts. New member. 

• Supporting Member

@xsquid - the only thing I can offer is to wait until you can ride it. 

I have had the code pop up a few times if I run it in gear on the center stand, I simply ride it down my street, stop and turn the key off, then ride back and the CEL Is gone. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

After doing some digging around on the sight I came across a thread. How to enter the diag mode on the pre 2017 models. By pressing the TCS & RESET turing the key on. 

Try this to erase faults in memory (per 2015 service manual): 

[ul type=disc][*]On the dash display, press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons together, and turn the ignition key to ON... and wait about 8s until "SELECT" + "ECU" show on the display.[*]Press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons together again for about 2s, until "DIAG" shows on the display.[*]Press "TCS" and "RESET" buttons together again for about 2s, until "DIAG" + "DATA" show on the display.[*]You are now in the diagnostic mode, and you can switch through "DIAG" modes by pressing the "TCS" and "RESET" buttons.[*]Keep toggling the "TCS" or "RESET" buttons until you get to "DIAG 62". If you see anything other than "00" in there, you have stored fault codes. BTW "DIAG 61" will show you what fault codes are stored in memory... it will self toggle through them.[*]To erase the faults in the memory toggle the red start switch from kill (crossed out symbol) to run (rounded arrow). Use caution here (bike in neutral, pull in the clutch just in case this thing wants to start)... I've never had to do this on my bike (2015).[*]To leave the diagnostic mode, turn ignition to OFF.[/ul]
Good luck.

I went through the steps. Shows I have one code active under DIAG 62. Try the clear steps . Still in my basement I don't want it to start. But the code was still there. May need to push it out side and have it start to clear. I'm sure it will clear when I start riding it. But i Like to fix things when broke. I always have bought a manual for my bikes. I didn't on this one. I guess I will return my 15 dollar Autel Scan tool.  If any of you have used these steps to clear codes with success  let  me know. Thanks Merry Christmas  Xsquid

Edited by xsquid

It worked. I Pushed the bike out side to try it. I followed the steps above. But instead of going to  DIAG 62 which shows the number of codes stored. I went to DIAG 63. Which shows the actual code stored 069 in my case from spinning the back wheel on the center stand. Just go from KILL to Start on the starter switch. I Pulled the clutch in just in case. Motor turned over but didn't start.  Code cleared. Turn key off. No more 069 on display. So I am assuming 2015-2016 bike use this procedure. As 2017 and up need the ODB scan tool to clear. I would have figured it out if I had the manual. But everything is posted on the internet. Some winter modes. i"m a machinist. Made my own version heli bar risers. Brings bars back and up 1 inch. Stock cable length. Made brackets to lower the rear sets for the passenger . Quick shifter. Also a new Hyper pro shock with remote preload. New skins. Just need spring to come. 

IMG_3709.thumb.JPG.ea12a6cd000b32cd3e1af7ba7c67d841.JPG

IMG_3726.JPG.2e15c3c612dfb9393cf6b9a23bcd7130.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG.e5ac0e4aa612624f406d35eaf04e2d4b.JPG

IMG_3728.JPG.e759426509dea134a5d5a8c1bc46b297.JPG

I have often read of these codes and what they can show, but have no idea how to access them, if possible.   Does one need the full-on service manual?   Would my 2015 have whatever software is involved already installed?   Puzzled...!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I don't have  a full service manual. Just sniffing around this sight finding info. This was posted under Error code 42 but no MPH But runs. Do a search for it and there is some photo's of the service manual. Also the instructions I posted again. Yeah 2015-2016 if there is a check engine code it will display right on your dash. Along with the check engine light on. But you can  clear the code by following the steps above under the DIAG screen from steps above. 2017 and up doesn't  show the code on your dash . Need a OBD Can code reader to view code and clear. Repair problem if needed first. 

2008662108_20170824-190915(1).jpg.604d1218f749072abf27afcadc419bae.jpg

20170824-190909.jpg.aebe92ca593c9b908f344e85fea52591.jpg

1659028840_20170824-190857(2).jpg.1151c18400b696806a1ad3bd46652e0c.jpg

• Supporting Member
On 12/29/2018 at 7:11 AM, xsquid said:

i"m a machinist. Made my own version heli bar risers. Brings bars back and up 1 inch. Stock cable length. Made brackets to lower the rear sets for the passenger .

Very nice job machining your own parts.  Looks great!!

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 3 weeks later...

dbeau, Thanks for putting this post together. Today I finished creating my OBDII adapter to clear my check engine light that was caused by starting the bike with a sensor unplugged.  The OBDII harness that I bought from Corsa Technic had a completely different color code than the one pictured - I ended up having to probe all the pins to figure out which is which. 

To anyone else that makes their own adapter harness, maybe you'll receive the same OBD cable that I did. Here is the color/pin mapping for the OBDII cable I received. The yellow lines are the ones used in the 4-pin plug. 

image.png.b92e24d059058667539ef34135e64e60.png

Also, the OBDII cable wires are tiny... like 30AWG or smaller, and the terminals that you get for the 4-pin plug are for larger wire.  They will work, but be prepared to go through quite a few of the pins if the crimps don't hold.  I had to order a few extra sets of the pins, but then again it was my first time crimping these kinds of terminals.  I also added a bit of solder to the end of the wire inside the pin to make sure there is sufficient electrical connectivity.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

So this worked for me, and I cleared my CEL on my 2017. However my OBDII cable colors did not match what was on this page. My colors on the cable were:

4-red/white (black/white on bike)

6-green/white (Blue/blue on bike)

14-light green (Blue/white on bike)

16-purple (red on bike)

My colors were the ones Thunderbird posted.

Edited by Brian V Paigo

• 1 month later...

A quick story about my experience with the check engine light.

Myself and two of my good friends installed a MC Cruise last Sunday on my 2015 FJ09. All went well and after we finished up with some other items that weren't finished yet  I was unable to ride it until today.

After the guys had left I was working on some other items and when I turned on the ignition I had a check engine light on. And after checking out our web site I found this thread and read it over and over several times. I was intrigued with all of the info. And I decided to check the most simple solution first. During the cruise installation we had to run the engine in gear at some fair speed in 4-5 gear.

The bell rung and I guessed that maybe I would be lucky enough to try the short ride.

With all of the wet weather I had to wait until today to get out and ride the bike.

I rolled out of the driveway into the street, and within ten feet the check engine light went out.

So what I was assuming would be a short check ride, the light went out and I turned it into a wonderful check ride for the cruise control.

Yes, a lovely day. And thanks to all of you that contributed here.

JimSter

• Thumbsup 2

Haven't logged on in a while but it's good to see this is still helping people. 

I can't figure out how to edit the original post but I should have noted that the colors on the OBDII pinout picture are not universal. The important part is the pin numbers, not the colors. You still have to figure out what color wire goes to the right pin. However, It looks like @thunderbird figured it out at least for the Corsa Technic one OBDII plug.

I'll add that to the OP if I can figure out how.

Edited by dbeau