Evolution of the Seca 2 to the FJ-09

robb

20 years ago i stepped into my first Yamaha dealership and saw the Seca 2. That was my dream bike at the time, but I was never able to get one. I did get a brochure and memorized all the specs and pictures. Now that I have the FJ-09 in the garage I'm having primative flashbacks. Can anyone else see the resemblence?
80IT3Ijl.jpg
wOlP6UCl.jpg

FWIW, I hate to whizz all over the memories of another, especially when it comes to previously-coveted motorcycles, but let me tell you, I owned one of these bikes (a red Seca II, to be specific), and the nicest thing I can think to say is that it was cheap, and unremarkable.  Slow and under-powered are other words that spring to mind.

I do understand, and appreciate, the lure of the UJM though, and this new FJ-09 is it!

Im trying to remember what MSRP was on those at the time?  It was more grasses than I could cut and more dishes that I could wash.  I could imagine the 60ish HP carbed 4 was a pig, as most were in comparision with todays YCCT FI.  The only good thing I can say I would have missed out on is a higher top speed!

• 3 weeks later...
re-reading this thread just made me realize something: I suspect the FJ-09 is speed limited to 115 mph as an homage to its stylistic forbear, the Seca II. IIRC, that bike was only good for about 115 mph as well. And we all though the speed limiter was due to the bags...

• Premium Member
For those in Europe wondering what the hell these people are on about, well, they are comparing the lovely MT09 Tracer with a shonky old XJ600S Diversion.

Blasphemy!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest dmizer
For those in Europe wondering what the hell these people are on about, well, they are comparing the lovely MT09 Tracer with a shonky old XJ600S Diversion.  
Blasphemy!
Yeah, I'm not seeing the comparison either. Maybe it's because riders in the US don't have much exposure to naked bikes?

Archived