Error code 42, no MPH but runs

docsimple

Nice. I may have to poke around in those settings a bit.

in fact since I was messing around with all the available sensor inputs I took a few secs to set my throttle cable slack better by watching the sensor numbers move...why didnt I think of this earlier ?

2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bloody brilliant. No Change when I spin the wheel. The error has not returned yet but the bike hasnt left the garage. Will install new one tomorrow
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

gotta ask... did you or somebody you paid to work on the rear wheel maybe forget a part?? I just wanted to make sure you got all the bits back on like the speed sensor wheel? if thats not there the sensor wont read...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

Doc - NorCal has got you dialed in, but I've been following this.... seems like you have got it figured out, but post up if you run into other problems.

That sensor connects to the harness up under the rear of the tank, IIRC near where the O2 wires come up. Check the connector carefully to make sure a pin hasn't become dislodged or bent when you install the new one.

Btw I think you can check the front sensor in the same manner, by watching the digits change when the wheel is spun.

-Skip

i did the work, no parts are missing or bent. The old part is already off. Im assuming the front still works or how would the bike know it was moving?

Im hoping they call soon so I can go pick up the part!
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

well, looks like no dice. I will ride it to work and see if it resets but I think Im going to be using GPS for speed on this trip...

weird thing is now the TCS light is on but the ABS is not. I think I may have a break in the wires from installing the cruise control. Maybewhen I disassembled for the ignition switch replacement i broke a connection. Might try to redo that tonight. Anyone have the wiring instructions for the cruise we got through Cruisin?
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

Page 8-59 of the service manual gives about 5 pages of troubleshooting... the bikes mph speed gets its reading from the rear wheel sensor... TCS light will probably stay on due to the diffrence in speed readings between front and rear wheels...

Check the speed wire signal connection at the ECU that the cruise control uses... you can test the cruise control unit to see if it getting a speed signal...

how do you test it? I know it turns on but will not lock the speed. Or... its trying to lock at "0"

I think I read those pages last night. Nothing fits. Im really hoping its just a broken wire connection. The worst part is the 9k rpm cutoff. Hows a brother supposed to get the front wheel up like that?
2015 Red FJ 09
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

to test the CruiseControl tach/speed sign:

1. place bike on center stand
2. retract side stand
3. put bike in N
4. press and hold SET button, turn ignition on and start bike then release SET

the light on the cruise control box under the passenger seat should be green followed by a rapid high tone beep- this test is only works for the first 10 secs acter engine start

im thinking If the CruiseControl is not getting a speed signal, its a good possibility the piggyback pin on the ECU got pulled out or separated

When I was messing with the encoder thing, I stated that spinning the rear didn't show up on the panel. (I have a 17 so just mph, no diagnostics.)
I got schooled, so went out and spun the rear again, this time FASTER. Sure enough, the numbers didn't start to flicker till I got it above about 3mph. A slow spin showed nothing.