Sign in to follow this  
stoltecmoto

Hurricane Harvey Relief - Stoltec Style

20170830_201251.jpg

Hurricane Harvey blows. And not just the wind from the storm. My wife and I lived in Houston for a short amount of time and understand how flood-prone that region is. But 50+ inches is simply unfathomable to us! We've found Houstonians to be among the most welcoming people we've encountered and surely worthy of the legendary Texan spirit. But right now, they need all the help they can get.

We've teamed up with a few local Pennsylvania businesses to provide necessities such as diapers, wipes, deodorant, soap, and non-perishable snacks. The first load of Stoltec Moto's contributions (shown in the picture) will be transferred to the Houston-bound shippers at the end of this week. It may not be much, but everything helps!

Here at Stoltec Moto, we are embracing the 'more is better' philosophy and are setting up a donation option on our website. Customers will be able to make a donation on the site during checkout, and to show our appreciation, we'll be matching your donations through 9/13/17. Additionally, we'll be donating 10% of all sales during this time to relief effort. Long before there were government relief efforts, there were families, friends, and neighbors. Help us embrace this spirit by lifting up our brothers and sisters in their time of need!

@stoltecmoto - As a long-term Houston resident, currently displaced by the floodwaters, I appreciate your efforts. You're right that anything and everything helps!

From Friday to Tuesday, we had around 40 inches of rain at our house on the southwest side, but miraculously managed to stay dry so far. Now we're waiting out the Brazos River crest before returning home... based on the latest projections, it looks like we will manage to stay just above the waterline. I almost feel guilty posting a positive update when I see the loss and devastation literally everywhere in this ccommunity that I love.

Thanks for your support! We're coming together to help everyone get through, and the Texas pride and hospitality you hear about is already shining through. We're going to be just fine...

-Scott

Scott, I'm glad to hear you and your family are doing well (relatively speaking). We lived up off Westheimer many years ago. About 13 years now that I think about it. I remember how just an inch or two of rain in a short period of time would flood streets and culverts. I can't even imagine 40+ inches of rain. I convert inches of rain to snow. And at 10-12" of snow per inch of rain, you'd be looking at 33+ FEET of snow!! Still can't wrap my head around it...

@stoltecmoto - It has flooded in places that no one ever imagined could flood, and it isn't just a localized problem: It is spread over thousands of square miles. As a historical footnote, just southeast of Houston the weather service's official rain gauge at Mary's Creek measured 52 inches of rain from Friday to Tuesday. They claim that is the largest amount ever recorded anywhere in North America from a single rain event.
And for all the news coverage you're seeing about the greater Houston area, it's starting to become apparent that the impact may be even more devastating farther east near the Golden Triangle (Beaumont / Port Arthur / Orange) where infrastructure and emergency services are not as readily available.
It's devastating to see this happening to friends and family.

For some reason, just realized that this thread was never updated back in September...jeez, time flies!

To all of our customers who contributed to this cause - thank you! To everyone who purchased from us during this time, thanks to you, too. Between the matching contributions, portions of sales, and some from our end, we managed to donate over $1,677 to local charities in the Houston area. Every little bit counts in helping those in need.

Happy Holidays to everyone!